Must be a new Moderator in town.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sufficiently annoyed by the Admin's reply that I did a little research. I was also able to duplicate security error (screenshot below) although it happened before I started paying attention to what I was doing so I'm not sure what combination of events I did to cause it. Other things I did:

> I fully cleaned and restarted my machine, confirmed there were no cookies on PC and logged into VFTT. I had 44 cookies on it at that point. Of course the platform is ad supported now so that isn't a big surprise. I ran antivirus and malware after and none were flagged as an issue, which also wasn't a surprise. I also noticed that the VFTT site always asks to enable push notifications. Could that be interpreted as a threat by some apps? No idea, but I suspect not.

> The Xenforo platform is flagged in several websites for a variety of SSL and other security issues, but most of what I found was older versions. I could only find info one recent exploit regarding the admin panel and it was deemed "low risk". They have a website and forum: https://xenforo.com/community/ . I found it interesting that the admins on that forum were also pretty obnoxious and condescending to posters there as well. So I assume our admin is an actual Xenforo employee.

> My Chrome address bar indicated the VFTT pages as secure with a current certificate at all times during this process.

> On the Xenforo forum here is an article that specifically addresses the error I encountered. It is from a 2014 post so not sure if the current technology is relevant to current versions of Xenforo, Chrome, etc but I assume it probably does. If I'm understanding it correctly it is a "time out" issue. When I did as the prompt asked I logged in fine without error messages. The old VFTT used to log me out after about 20 minutes of inactivity so I assume the new platform is doing a similar thing and that may be the source of the error. I don't have any grand kids to walk me through this though so I could be wrong....

https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ss-back-refresh-the-page-and-try-again.25839/

Attachments

• VFTT Security Screen Shot.jpg
    VFTT Security Screen Shot.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
seems like the activity you are describing as an issue happens AFTER you leave the forum web page. In my comprehension of the workflow the
1.forum acknowledges your log out request and then tries to rout you to some page (still on the forum) that would then tell you you have logged out.
2.during the routing to a different page your browser tries to be helpful and use the cached login information credentials to get you back into the site
3.hillarity ensues by dueling perspectives of what your log in situation is at this moment

I was sufficiently annoyed by the Admin's reply that I did a little research. I was also able to duplicate security error (screenshot below) although it happened before I started paying attention to what I was doing so I'm not sure what combination of events I did to cause it. Other things I did:

> I fully cleaned and restarted my machine, confirmed there were no cookies on PC and logged into VFTT. I had 44 cookies on it at that point. Of course the platform is ad supported now so that isn't a big surprise. I ran antivirus and malware after and none were flagged as an issue, which also wasn't a surprise. I also noticed that the VFTT site always asks to enable push notifications. Could that be interpreted as a threat by some apps? No idea, but I suspect not.

> The Xenforo platform is flagged in several websites for a variety of SSL and other security issues, but most of what I found was older versions. I could only find info one recent exploit regarding the admin panel and it was deemed "low risk". They have a website and forum: https://xenforo.com/community/ . I found it interesting that the admins on that forum were also pretty obnoxious and condescending to posters there as well. So I assume our admin is an actual Xenforo employee.

> My Chrome address bar indicated the VFTT pages as secure with a current certificate at all times during this process.

> On the Xenforo forum here is an article that specifically addresses the error I encountered. It is from a 2014 post so not sure if the current technology is relevant to current versions of Xenforo, Chrome, etc but I assume it probably does. If I'm understanding it correctly it is a "time out" issue. When I did as the prompt asked I logged in fine without error messages. The old VFTT used to log me out after about 20 minutes of inactivity so I assume the new platform is doing a similar thing and that may be the source of the error. I don't have any grand kids to walk me through this though so I could be wrong....

https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ss-back-refresh-the-page-and-try-again.25839/

I get the same message. When you log out, the page doesn't actually reflect that, it still shows you as logged in. If you try to click certain links from that page after logging out the error pops up. Annoying.

Definitely lots of Robots here now. Looks like mostly search engines scanning through all the forums. Guess you might call it data mining. Not sure if the old site had this and you just didn't see it. If you go to members and then look at current visitors you can see yourself, others and the robots.

"Yea that’s not true what so ever."

"It might be helpful if you have a grandkid who is pretty tech savvy go over what you are doing and walk you through it."

"It doesn't seem like you are technical ..."

Wow.

Are you reading back to yourself what you write before posting it? These are incredibly dismissive and insulting statements.

If you are unable to respond to users' questions and concerns in a professional manner, can we get someone else who can?

Whether a member here is a Moderator here or not IMO I think it is easy to read into what is one’s perceived tone of another members post. I know I am certainly guilty of it. I am not personally offended in this situation by what others are offended posted by the Moderator. As stated by him his intent was not to offend but give some suggestive help. Maybe to some it didn’t come off sounding like that. But IMO there was no malicious intent on his part. Either which way one has perceived the Moderator’s post it is most unproductive to counter with passive aggressive rehtoric. It is only feeding the fuel for the dragon’s fire. Again I’m not getting my panties up my crack on this one. I’m not asking anyone to agree with me but I’m giving the new Moderator a chance to settle in. Not to diminish the last Moderators fine work but when he was transitioning in it was not all roses. A lot of people left the board over disagreements on changes that were made. It would be nice if that were not to happen again.

Whether a member here is a Moderator here or not IMO I think it is easy to read into what is one’s perceived tone of another members post. I know I am certainly guilty of it. I am not personally offended in this situation by what others are offended posted by the Moderator. As stated by him his intent was not to offend but give some suggestive help. Maybe to some it didn’t come off sounding like that. But IMO there was no malicious intent on his part. Either which way one has perceived the Moderator’s post it is most unproductive to counter with passive aggressive rehtoric. It is only feeding the fuel for the dragon’s fire. Again I’m not getting my panties up my crack on this one. I’m not asking anyone to agree with me but I’m giving the new Moderator a chance to settle in. Not to diminish the last Moderators fine work but when he was transitioning in it was not all roses. A lot of people left the board over disagreements on changes that were made. It would be nice if that were not to happen again.

Tone here is irrelevant. It is the actual words. I don't think it is any mystery at all about what he is trying to say here. And the "apology" is equally unambiguous. He basically told TCD to go get his grandkid and walk him through it. I'm not sure how you read anything into other than an insult to suggest an adult cannot comprehend something and would need the advice of a 5 year old.

You've taken far greater offense to far less offensive things I've made to you in past posts. I don't really understand how you can miss the insult in this statement. And considering they just became a part of this forum and doesn't say much for the respect level that they have for the members. Taking the side of the admin on this seems most peculiar....

Tone here is irrelevant. It is the actual words. I don't think it is any mystery at all about what he is trying to say here. And the "apology" is equally unambiguous. He basically told TCD to go get his grandkid and walk him through it. I'm not sure how you read anything into other than an insult to suggest an adult cannot comprehend something and would need the advice of a 5 year old.

You've taken far greater offense to far less offensive things I've made to you in past posts. I don't really understand how you can miss the insult in this statement. And considering they just became a part of this forum and doesn't say much for the respect level that they have for the members. Taking the side of the admin on this seems most peculiar....
Sounds like I offended you. Like I said I was not expecting anyone to agree with me. I also admitted to being offended by others post. I have no problem if you want to make a federal case out of it as you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

It's so hard to convey through text and maybe it's because English is my second language (born in Germany) but I was not trying to give offense. It just seemed based on everything I read and saw in his profile he was older and didn't really understand how things worked so it would be much easier to have a relative walk him through it over the phone. He was posting logins to Google, so seemed like a bit of a disconnect that text would not solve.

Let’s get back to hiking, climbing and skiing instead of calling out who is best. There is no best. The best is the one who is having the best time.

While on the subject...

About half the time, when I log out, I get the "login" page, as expected.

And about half the time, when I log out, the main page still shows me as logged in, but when I try to do pretty much anything, I get a message stating that there is a problem, and to hit the "back" button, and then "refresh". I do that, but the problem simply repeats until I close the browser. When I re-open the browser and navigate to the main page, it shows me as logged out. Disconcerting.

Windows 10 Pro & Edge.

TomK

First, let me say that after a short time of getting acclimated to the new forum software, it has been running pretty smoothly, so thanks to the new management/admins/tech support.

Having said that, I am still running into this problem, maybe 40% of the time. Here is the message I get when trying to do something after logging out:

1681399614600.png

I stated in my original message that closing the browser and reopening it would show me as logged out, but I have since discovered that such is not always the case - I have closed the browser, navigated to the vftt login page, and it still shows me as logged in, but any attempt to do anything results in the above error message.

I have found that if I clear my browser cache, I no longer show up as logged in, but it seems to me that I shouldn't have to do that frequently.

Thanks in advance for any fixes...

TomK

Not to complain too much, but is there a way to go directly to the last unread post in a thread? I don't want the last post, because I have to scroll up to where I left off. I want the last unread post after I click on "mark all forums read." Thanks.