My Big Black Boots - A review of my Limmer Standards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtpig67

Reaction score
I am new to the "Views From the Top" forum so I thought I would introduce myself via this review. I found a lot of valuable info on this forum regarding these boots back when I was researching them, so I thought I would add to that info for anyone else that may need info in the future.

Back in the fall of 2008, it came time to retire my old hiking boots so the search began for a replacement. I am a big fan of welted boot construction due to my experiences wearing wildland firefighting boots (White's and Nick's Boots). I decided to go with something similar in construction. Soon my search led me to Limmer and the offerings he had. Based on much research on the web, I decided to go ahead and purchase a pair of off-the-shelf Limmers via the mail and see how they fit. I figured if they did not fit or I did not like them I could always return them as long as I didn't wear them outside.

My purchasing experience with Limmer was excellent. I mailed in an order form and foot tracings and originally ordered the mid-weights. Soon after mailing the order form, I received a phone call from Limmer boots (can't remember the individual) and we had a lengthy discussion about my tracings, planned activities with them, and the fit of the different models they offered. Based on my foot-tracings, he felt the standard model would fit better and I ended up changing the order to those. Needless to say, I was rather impressed with the level of customer service and attention I received as an individual. Most stores or companies would have simply filled the order but I felt that Limmer was really trying to fit me with the best possible option for me. A few weeks later (it took a while as I lived in remote Alaska at the time), I got a big box in the mail. I do not have any pictures of them new, but brand-new they were beautifully constructed in that old-school type of style.

Now came the fun of breaking them in. Brand-new they are very stiff. I had worn welted boots before but these were on a whole new level of stiffness. About the only way to break them in is to use them a lot, so that is what I did along with using the Limmer boot grease as recommended. I pretty much wore them every day for about 7 months just as everyday shoes (I can get away with that with my job in Alaska:D). That helped considerably with the break-in process but it was not until I started wearing them on longer actual hikes did they truly break-in completely. To say that this process was fun and painless would be a slight lie. Up until the middle of last summer, they were not much fun to wear but I can say that they never did give me a blister on any occasion (my wife also has a pair and had numerous blisters until her's broke-in properly). This was most likely to them fitting perfectly. At some point last summer, they basically "turned the corner" so to speak and literally feel like they have molded to my feet and flex in all the locations that they should flex to get proper foot motion while walking.

At present time, I would estimate I have around 300 miles or so on them. I have worn them on very rough, rocky terrain hiking in Alaska, on wildland fires, and now in the demanding bush of New Zealand (currently splitting my time between here and AK while the wife is in school in NZ) so they have seen a lot of different conditions.

In rough rocky terrain, they simply cannot be beat. I have a weak ankle from a previous injury, and have had problems in the past with rolling that same ankle due to its permanent weakness. Due to the height and construction of the boot, there is literally now way I can roll that ankle now in rough terrain. The construction is probably a bit overkill for most people's needs, but I feel a lot safer out on trail now with the confidence that it is nearly impossible to hurt my ankle again.

The toe box is stiff enough that there is no risk of stubbing a toe or otherwise hurting your toes by hitting or tripping over things. In my case also, the toe box was large enough to allow for the slight swelling of the feet that naturally occurs while hiking longer distances.

While not completely waterproof, if you treat the leather with the Limmer grease it does remain rather water repellent for quite some time. My feet sweat a lot so I really gain little with Gore-tex boots. The Limmers seem to feel less hot and breath better than the water-proof boots I have used in the past. It is rather subjective, but my feet feel less "clammy" when wet from sweat in them than in past waterproof boots.

The Vibram outsole unit is very resistant to abrasion. I have worn them in a lot of rocky conditions and the rubber is holding up nicely and is not excessively wearing away. They seem to grip rocky surfaces well.

Since they have broke-in and molded to my feet, they have proven to be extremely comfortable. I often wear them as everyday shoes now simply due to the comfort level. I had read other people's experiences of this on the web, but I was somewhat skeptical. However, I am now a believer:D

Well those are a lot of things I like about them here are some negatives in my opinion.

They do not have a lot of padding in them like you would find in mass-produced boots today. While they can be ordered to allow for aftermarket insoles, they are really not designed for them. I really do not notice this much unless I am hiking more than 8 miles with some weight or going continuously downhill for long periods of time (2+ hrs). The end result is mainly just slightly sore feet, but nothing severe or more than normal.

Being all leather, they take longer to dry out. Here in NZ, you often hike in wet conditions so they have been completely soaked a couple of times. It often takes a couple of days to completely dry out after they have been completely saturated. I know this is not good for the boots and try to minimize this by wearing leg gators and switching to tevas for stream-crossings.

They do take more maintenance and care than most mass-produced boots. If you are someone, who doesn't clean or grease your boots much then these are not likely the boot for you. After every hike, it is necessary to clean them up, dry them out, and grease them if the leather is getting dry.

Again, if you want a boot that you can buy in the morning and wear on a long hike that afternoon, then they are most definitely not for you. I did not attempt to do this, but the outcome would not have been pretty if I had. I should also note, that until the boot breaks in there will be a little bit of heel slippage as you walk. This is due to the boot still being very stiff and not flexing properly. The result is your heel slipping a little. Most of my wife's initial blister problems were due to this (it was not as big an issue for me) and does go away once they are broken in.

Well that is about all I can say about them. I attached a few pics of them from today after a short hike up a local mountain. If you have any specific question regarding my experiences with them, feel free to ask.

I had a pair of standard boots (not custom) and they were simply too stiff for me on long hikes, probably due to some developing foot problems like a Morton's neuroma. I did like the lightweights and wore those to a pulp, though they didn't last any longer than other boots I've had.

I agree with you about waterproofness. Well-tended leather is superior to Goretex in the long run. In my experience, Goretex tends to fail after a year or so.

Welcome to VFTT! One of our members, bogorchis, is soon heading to the South Island for three weeks of hiking. It sounds like a dream.

Is being called a dirtpig a good thing in NZ? ;)

Nice post, dirtpig! I have had my custom Limmers for years and I assure you the customer service is excellent in person, as well. Peter seems to know each customer by name. You won't get that at most outfitters. :)

Welcome to the forum

I can sympathize with your break in initiation. I've had similar love hate (ok mainly just hate) ordeal with Alico heavy weights. I now have them for my fourth year but the first year I did not dare to take them on multi day hikes and it was all love after that :)

Thanks for your posting. FWIW, some of us have worn boots that made Standards feel almost supple the first time we put them on. Rooney? Rooney? DougPaul? DougPaul?

And now for the even harder thing to believe -- some of us (well, me) actually yearn for those bygone boots. My trail has gone downward through the years from Pivetta 8s through Raichle Eigers to Limmer Standards. But I swear to God -- you ain't never gonna get me in a pair of Crestas. :p

Thanks for your posting. FWIW, some of us have worn boots that made Standards feel almost supple the first time we put them on. Rooney? Rooney? DougPaul? DougPaul?
What? Who? Me? (Waking up from a stupor...)

Are you referring to my leather winter double mountaineering boots with a full steel shank (rigid sole)? Actually, they weren't too hard to break in. I wore them around the office (ignoring the stares and attention...) for a couple of weeks and they were ready to go. Don't recall ever having any blister problems with them. From what I have heard, plastic boots are much worse.

Don't have any Limmers, although I have considered getting a pair.

Doug

Old Friends

What a great write up! I totally agree with every thing the OP wrote.

I am on my second pair of custom Standards. The first arrived in May 1982 at a cost of $160. A bit pricier due to "oversized feet". They lasted until two years ago and could no longer be resoled after three times. The toe leather actually started to peel off as I sat on a tent platform in Carlo Col late one summer afternoon. My AT trail work partners, there with me, understood my distress. I shed a few unabashed tears over the symbolic death of these oh so reliable hiking boots.

My new Standards arrived (picked up) in this past November in time for my seventieth B'day at a (now) cost of $670 (feets are even bigger I guess).

On a cost per year basis, the first pair works out to about $6.15 a year. This next pair will have to last roughly one hundred nine years to equal my first set's utility. That puts me 179 years old when I need my next pair:p

My old pair have been cleaned, polished, and now have a place of honor sitting on the open beams of my great room.

At some point in the future I will gather hiking friends for a wake and give these old friends the Viking funeral they have earned . I can't bear to think of them buried in a land fill or worse.

Ah yes, "Limmer boots since 1919"

Yes, the old-fashioned, Norwegian full welt, steel-shank boots are what I prefer. I recently gave my favorite Raichle Palue SA, re-soled twice by Dave Page, to a friend as my feet had widened over the years. Several years ago I found a pair of Raichle Badilles at the Gear Exchange in Burlington and snapped them up. They're the same boot as the Palue's, except the leather is blue rather than the staid black of the Palue - fits in better with the Swiss Army (the SA) image, I suppose. Over the years I've worn out other boots which I've alternated with the Raichle's, but I always come to the traditional. When I was East last April I bought a pair of LL Bean's Crestas, and make no mistake - they're excellent boots. But ... they don't provide the same ankle support and "firmness of platform" that the traditional boots do. When traveling on a trail like the PCT they're just the ticket, but off-trail or on rough rocky terrrain it's the Norwegian welt boot that keeps ankles and soles protected for me.

Since my Badilles are wearing out (nearing their second resole and some stitching is separating - thank goodness for Gorilla Glue), I recently purchased a pair of Alico Summits. My first reaction was - "Holy Cow, someone's still making real boots". They're beautifully made by craftsman. And boy, are they heavy, but for some reason they don't feel that way on my feet. We'll see what they look like/wear 2 to 5 years out.

I'm not advocating that everyone go out and buy traditional boot - I know lots of hardcore types who love their low-cut trail shoes. Have tried them and they just don't work for me.

Edit - One more plug for Alico's: they are available in wide. They seem to be a bit generous on their sizing, so if ordering over the 'net, be conservative.

Last edited:
Good to see I am not the only fan of old-school boots.

My brother has started hiking a lot in Colorado, and I managed to steer him to a traditional made boot (Alico Summits from Sierra Trading Post) when his boots started falling apart after only a year of use. So there is another convert to the cult:D

Some of you might be interested in this. http://www.bootznz.com/index.htm

This is a custom boot maker here in NZ that makes welted boots in Christchurch. He has a number of styles including a few hiker models (McKenzie & Tramper models). Supposedly they are one of the last boot makers in the world to still make hobnailed boots, which are still used here in NZ in the steep sheep country. I have not personally seen the hiker models but have examined a few pairs of the "lighter" work boots. They are very well built and in line with the quality see by US boot makers like White's or Nick's Boots.

When I get down to Christchurch I plan on stopping by the shop and taking a look at their hiking models. They are relatively pretty cheap with the exchange rate - the McKenzie is $235USD and the Tramper is $170USD. I called them a while back and you can either send foot tracings for come by the shop (recommended) for a fitting. Custom made boots for your foot measurements take about 2 weeks to make and ship!!

Last edited:
...When I get down to Christchurch I plan on stopping by the shop and taking a look at their hiking models. They are relatively pretty cheap with the exchange rate - the McKenzie is $235USD and the Tramper is $170USD. I called them a while back and you can either send foot tracings for come by the shop (recommended) for a fitting. Custom made boots for your foot measurements take about 2 weeks to make and ship!!

Please do keep us posted. I would be curious as to their soles - do they use Vibram, or an NZ supplier? They look like exceptional boots.

I checked out their website, including the interview. Looks they make a great product, and preserving a fine tradition.

Please do keep us posted. I would be curious as to their soles - do they use Vibram, or an NZ supplier? They look like exceptional boots.

I checked out their website, including the interview. Looks they make a great product, and preserving a fine tradition.

They are not Vibram but are very high quality and the pattern is like the sole on Limmers. I believe that they are NZ made (or Australian), but not 100% sure. Either way you would be hard pressed to wear them out very quickly.

Stiff boots

Welcome to VFTT, dirtpig. And thanks for the great review. I've always wondered about Limmers - one hears so much about them - and based on your review I think that they're NOT for me. I had one pair of boots - Raichle mountaineering boots, I think they were - that never did break in, even after several years of use. Every time I took them out, the heel slippage gave me blisters. I think I eventually put them out at a yard sale.

Nice review. My Limmers will turn 19 this year. I couldn't say how many miles are on them, but they're about halfway along on their second pair of soles (or is it their third -- I forget now!) and ready for a third overhaul to the cuff.

Yeah, love and hate ... they're bomber, tough boots, but heavy as hell. Like anything else in the gear arsenal you have to know when you want them and when you don't, but I've been very happy with mine all in all.

And how many boots are there that I could use seriously for two decades?

Nice post, dirtpig! I have had my custom Limmers for years and I assure you the customer service is excellent in person, as well. Peter seems to know each customer by name. You won't get that at most outfitters. :)

I agree. Went up in March of 2002 to grab a pair of (non-custom) Standards. Peter had me kicking the walls with the toes and heels to make sure the fit was good. He even stitched spacer-pads on the inside of the tongues to prevent slipping. Fantastic.

Love my Limmers! Only complaint is that I waited far too long, and spent far too much money on ill-fitting shoes and boots before having the Limmers make me some that actually fit my feet.

G.

I've had the pleasure of hiking many mountains in 3 pairs of Limmers, each made by a different Limmer generation.