need quick Telemark gear help/recs please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest that you also consider T2's. Both T1's and T2's can control a heavy ski, but T2's are a bit lighter. Weight isn't an issue for lift-served skiing, but it does slow down your ascent in the backcountry.

I've found no lack of power in my T2's for lift served skiing. (But I've never tried T1's.)

Doug

Big difference.

No problems as of yet. A lot of times I'm on my Chargers which are pretty wide.

I ordered the g3 alpinist today the reason I asked is For splitboarding there are only 3 options for skins at this time g3 aplinist, volie tractor skins(wich are made by black diamond) or cutting your own. Craig at IME in N. conway has had good luck with the g3, but I thought I would ask you guys. As far as width mine are 140mm so they should hold well i hope

I'd love to hear from a NTN owner/user. If I don't, I won't research in that direction.
NTN is a big change for tele skiing. The gear is still going through some teething problems, and I would be a bit uncomfortable taking it into serious backcountry without spare parts at this point.

NTN does appear to ski differently than 75mm duckbills in a few ways. They can be much harder to flex, leaving lighter or less aggressive skiers working much more to initiate a turn. They have less "feel" than 3-pin gear, meaning you are more isolated from the snow. They have more control, allowing you to turn the skis quicker. They seem to favor a much higher stance.

I'd concentrate on 75mm duckbills for now. You'll have a wider range of choices, you can use a wider range of bindings, and everything will cost less. And for someone learning the turn it won't matter.

I'd concentrate on 75mm duckbills for now. You'll have a wider range of choices, you can use a wider range of bindings, and everything will cost less. And for someone learning the turn it won't matter.

7tm now looking interesting. I didn't realize there were this many choices. I may just grab some basic gear for my Chugachs for this year and start going to the festivals and clinics, take a couple lessons and see how well I progress.
I'd prefer not to start with gear I'll outgrow soon, but that may be unavoidable.

That's a good strategy as you pick things up. Different bindings ski quite a bit differently, and there's nothing like hands on (or feet on) experience with the gear to highlight the differences. For example, I can't stand the 7tm's. They feel completely wrong to me when I'm skiing. I like the Voile and the HammerHead bindings. The 7tm's are good bindings, but not for me.

Unfortunately, there probably will be no (or just a tiny few) NET telemark festivals this year. NATO telefest at MRG is great, but not a good place to try out gear.

Depending on where you are,ski areas near you may have varying degrees of a tele program - lessons, rentals, etc. Watch your local ski area calendars for demo days, too.

Focus on getting good fit on the boots, and plan to take lessons, as you said.

Even if you have your own skis, rent or demo (cheaper than renting, obviously) different stuff to get the feel of it.

Also remember that even more than alpine, tele ski performance is sensitive to how the bindings are mounted. A little forward or back can make a big difference in the feel of the ski.

Have fun! The best thing about the first season on tele is that you are very unlikely to injure your legs, as most of the time you will be leading with your face when you hit the snow... :)

Chip...you might want to try these folks. Dick Hall is super. He started this organization some years ago and lives in Waitsfield. I took a few of the courses a while back ago and found them very helpful. I enjoyed the movies to.
I don't tele any longer. Unfortunately the knees would not take the joke.
http://www.telemarknato.com/

I'm putting in a second vote also for Dick Halls group. Hit up on one of his Telemark Primer's. You might be able to rent a setup from him for the day.
Have fun and bring some Advil.