NEHH Peakbagging Three Day Weekend, May 22-24, 2009, White Mountains: Part II

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
The Weeks, The Weeks Again:), Terrace, Cabot, the Bulge and The Horn:

While planning my long weekend, I wanted to make my big mileage day in the Kilkenny Range. Since I was most likely hiking solo, I had planned to start by hiking in through Unknown Pond, and picking up the Kilkenny Ridge Trail and taking it over The Horn, Bulge, Cabot, Terrace, the Weeks; and then doubling back over Middle and North Weeks and returning via the York Pond Trail. I had mentioned my plans to Rocket21 as well as Dave Bear. I think that Rocket thought I might be a little nuts, but being the nice person he was, he just made me feel guilty about bailing on him on a Bonds Traverse that weekend. :)

Then on my way from Nancy over to my campsite in Gorham, I heard from Dave Bear that he was up for hiking with me saturday in The Weeks. So, happy for the company, I switched up my plans and decided to meet him at the York Pond TH. We'd hike the Weeks together, then I'd make a decision point to go on or to head out.

At five am I got a text from Rocket21 --he was happy to hear that I had decided to switch up my plans because he needed the Weeks, too. So we made plans to all hike together, with Rocket catching up to us on the way out.

I had hoped to start about 6:30 am, but the Hatchery doesn't open their gates until 7am. I saw a large moose on my drive in. I pulled into the TrailHead at the same time as Dave and we geared up for the day. Funny thing, Old Man pulled in shortly afterward.

The York Pond Trail is an extremely beautiful trail. I really enjoyed the peaceful surroundings, and spring is about a month behind Massachusetts in the North Country.

ry%3D400

Rocket21 caught up to us just below Willard Notch. We turned onto the Kilkenny Ridge Trail and headed up to The Weeks. I really love the Kilkenny Ridge, its just my kinda woods. A green, quiet path through the woods. For some, its the drama of above treeline that inspires them, but for me, its a walk in quiet green woods and the thrill of breaking out onto an outlook from time to time.

ry%3D400

Onward we walked and talked, over North, Middle and finally arrived at South Weeks. The AMC Guide describes an orange cannister on a blowdown infested summit. Yippee! I couldn't wait to find it, but alas..it is no more.

Dave decided to head down a bit ahead of us, and Rocket and I hung out for a bit, then headed back down towards Middle Weeks. We thought we'd catch right up to Dave Bear, but reached Middle and hadn't seen him. We called out once...OK, I called out about three times, each time stating it would be the last...and then finally, Dave Bear called back -- we met him on the reclimb of North. I was thoroughly impressed that Dave had trekked so quickly, but then I saw he was dragging an anchor that no doubt helped him on the downhills.

ry%3D400

At the Kilkenny/York Pond junction, Dave decided to head down. At this point, I wasn't sure if I'd continue on the Kilkenny Ridge Trail or head back and head out to the Horn and Bulge via the Unknown Pond Trail. Rocket21 had told me alot about Terrace Mountain, stories he'd heard from Steve Smith and we both really wanted to go there, so we decided we'd climb Terrace, and make a decision regarding the rest of the Kilkenny Range when we reached Bunnell Notch.

We said our goodbyes to Dave Bear. For those who haven't had the pleasure, Dave is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He's a big sweetheart -- he's got a great ear for listening as well as a bucket full of great stories to tell.

Terrace Mntn is a 950 foot climb out of Willard Notch, but it passes through such beautiful country that I hardly felt the climb. The trail is so lightly used that is a faint ribbon of brown meandering through beautiful stands of white birch.

A short herdpath leads 1/10 of a mile to the South Summit. Here, we flushed a moose that was on the trail, and she hurried into these tight woods on the narrow summit.

Rocket21 has more experience with moose than I, so we decided I'd stay at the jct with Terra on leash while he went ahead. The concern was crowding or cornering the moose. A few minutes later, he returned, and took hold of Terra's leash so I could check out the summit. I hurried out, talking out loud to let her know of my prescence. Reached the summit and turned back. About 1/2 way back I heard loud rustling off the side of the trail, and there was the moose, scratching her neck on a dead tree! Pretty exciting!

The rest of Terrace Mountain looks pretty much like this; wild and ragged, a bit rough around the edges, and very quiet. Its a special place and one I hope to return to again and again.

ry%3D400

We thought of a cool new name for it, actually...
ry%3D400

Decisions, decisions....
ry%3D400

We decided to complete the range! Woo hoo! I was soooo happy ! I would have been just fine heading down Bunnell Notch, knowing full well that I intend to return to the Kilkenny's; but its even better to be hiking with someone who at 4:30 pm with 12 miles under their belt who is given the choice of nine more miles and three more peaks or 3 miles and no peaks -- goes with the nine more miles choice! Woo hoo! Its good to know ya, Rocket!

The climb up Cabot from Bunnell is a long slog at any time of day. We both knew this would be the toughest part. But we made good time, and arrived on the summit a little over an hour later. I made sure to follow Roy's advice and go to the true summit this time around.

The cabin is quiet tonight
ry%3D400

Three more miles of peaceful woods brought us over the Bulge and to the Spur for the Horn. A quick climb up and we arrived at 7pm, just as the long shadows were forming in the mountains. A magical time of day.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The last five miles were spent quietly chatting about all manner of things. We arrived an Unknown Pond about 8:15 pm, just as the sun was setting. We saw another moose on the far side of the pond. For the day, the sightings ratio was even; 3 people:3 moose.

ry%3D400

The Unknown Pond trail is a little slice of heaven. Babbling brooks and white birch glades frame the trail. Just after dark, we crossed a brook and then headed out the final 1.5 miles on a woods road. Along the way, Rocket noticed some fairly recent wet boot prints on some rocks heading toward the pond, which was strange, because we hadn't passed anyone. I remarked that it might be Dave Bear, headed out to walk the final mile with us, because he's just that type of guy.

We reached our cars at 10:15; 14 hours and 45 minutes from the start. I had estimated the total hike would take me 14 hours, so I was pretty happy with the turnout. Driving out, I got a call from Dave Bear. It was, indeed, the prints of a Bear that we saw. Dave had not only come in to walk us out, but he had brought along water; and when he didn't meet up with us, he'd driven around to the Mill Pond trailhead, a shorter walk out that we'd looked at on the map earlier in the day. We met up with Dave at Mr Pizza in Gorham, where I had poutine for the first time. YUM!

Back to the campground for a hot shower and some zzz's before tommorrow's final hike. Today marked NEHH peaks number 90,91,92 and 93. Final calculations will be forthcoming, but we estimate the whole hike to be 22 miles and 7600 feet of gain.

A special thanks to Dave Bear and Rocket21 for making this day such a memorable one for me. What had been planned as a solo hike quite serendipitously ended up being a shared experience with two very open and positive people. I can't think of a better way to spend the day. i hope you guys add some of your pictures and thoughts to this report.

Oh yes, and a big hug to little Terra who trekked the whole day at our sides, always on the lookout up ahead; making sure her flock is safe.

Part III....upcoming....

Last edited:
Ed, all I have left is:

Vose Spur
East Scar Ridge
Mendon
Chain of Ponds Snow
Peak Above The Nubble
Northeast Cannonball

and I *hope* to finish on Goose Eye, during a weeklong Mahousucs/Grafton backpack mid July with MichaelJ and Terra.

Maybe I'll have the pleasure of hiking with you and Lauky on one of those remaining peaks??

After hiking the Bonds with OldMan, I was rather tired. Nonetheless, I somehow ended up waking up a little after 5 AM. Though I was planning a cat hike (Mt. Garfield), I ended up ditching it for a dog hike (Terra Mountain and surrounding peaks). Actually, I was only planning to do the Weeks and had packed accordingly in a frantic pre-6AM rush.

It took quite awhile to catch up with DaveBear, una_dogger, and terra_dogger, but I finally did in a nice birch glade:
terramtn01.jpg

At first, Terra wasn't too happy with me, as I had snuck up on her group and startled them by making some noise. After bribing her with some beef jerky, she forgave me.
terramtn02.jpg

Like good peakbaggers, una_dogger and DaveBear scoured the summit of North Weeks, standing on every potential highest piece of ground.
terramtn03.jpg

Since una_dogger had pretty ambitious plans and I wanted to check out Terra(ce) Mountain, I decided to drag my tired, old body up to it. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to get any clear photos of the moose, so you'll just have to take our word that we saw her.

At Bunnell Notch, we did a time and pack check and determined we had enough daylight and supplies to finish the ambitious loop. Reaching the Horn, the skies started to clear:
terramtn04.jpg

Though I had only planned on hiking until lunch time, I somehow ended up limping into the parking lot after 10 PM. Yowsah! After not finding anything in Berlin, una_dogger led a horse to water, or should I say a rocket to a hot chocolate.

Upon asking DaveBear and una_dogger what they thought of my appearance after two long days of hiking with little sleep, I had this response:
terramtn05.jpg

John of J&J fame remarked that he could use 2 days of 'beauty sleep' - by the looks of the response above, I need a beauty coma!

Last edited:
Ed, all I have left is:

Vose Spur
East Scar Ridge
Mendon
Chain of Ponds Snow
Peak Above The Nubble
Northeast Cannonball

and I *hope* to finish on Goose Eye, during a weeklong Mahousucs/Grafton backpack mid July with MichaelJ and Terra.

Maybe I'll have the pleasure of hiking with you and Lauky on one of those remaining peaks??

22 miles and 7600' of gain!!! Thinkest thou, that thou dost tempt me with reports such as this?:eek: I was thinking the best thing I could do would be to put on a fanny pack and try and catch you and MJ on the last day of your back pack. With you wearing those big packs I might be able to stay somewhere in sight of you. But be careful, at the first rest stop I'm slipping some rocks into both of your packs.:D

Last edited:
Wonderful, wonderful, trip report.

What a great day you folks had -- and what a nice hiking trio the three of you make.

I could think of far worse ways to spend a day then hiking with the likes of you, Dave and Jeremy in the Pilot Range of New Hampshire.

Looks like a major disservice to the local hiking community, giving such good PR to a normally ignored area!. I usually recommend the Horn as a great place to go on a major holiday weekend and not see anyone.

The KRT was originally blazed to provide a remote backcountry backpacking trip and a way to divert groups away from the main bulk of the whites, it is actually one if not the last major "new" long trail created in the whites in recent memory. It actually was patched together out of older abandoned trails and herd paths. Over the years it has never quite caught on with the hiking public probably due to lack of frequent views and its lack of reliable water sources (mostly a planning issue). Nevertheless it does have its special places as you got to see (although you may have missed Rogers ledge?.

I had a few ideas of extending it by linking it up to Pond of Safety and the Randolph trail system but given the current management goal of the area, I dont think that is going to happen (but it could make for some interesting off trail backpacking).

Great report

Last edited:
Very nice TR and pictures Sabrina! It was alot of fun to revisit the Weeks. I had gone up from Waumbek the end of last November on snow and knew your proposed hike would be a treat. The open woods of South Weeks had only been a sampling of how nice it would be coming in from York Pond. The birch glades seemed to go on forever and it would be a fun place to just head out off trail and see more of what's out there! I can't wait to go back and cut across Terrace which had baited me on the way out but would have been too much of a chore with half of Bullwinkle's crown over my shoulder!;) Great hike and good times as always Sabrina and Terra! Nice finally hiking with you Jeremy, by the way how does someone so young get stacked so full of trivia anyway?:confused:

Some pics of mine:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/572433053keXbyR

Oooh! Great pics, Dave Bear! I may have to scavenge an avatar from you, too!!!
Can't wait to hike with ya again! :) Hope the kids enjoyed the antler. Betcha Bev wouldn't let ya bring that stanky thing into the house, though!

It was nice meeting you and Dave Bear at the trailhead. Great pictures and congrats on completing such a long hike!

Nice photos, Dave (though I could have done without the topless DaveBear shot!).

It was great hiking with you guys - what a beautiful area!

What a terrific adventure! Equal number of moose and people sightings is just perfect. Great photos, too. Congratulations, Sabrina and all.

Excellent hike and trip report..

that trip has to rank up there with the more remote and wild sections in the area..pretty ambitious goals and a long day but Mr Pizza says it all..

great job

OK, so there really is a part III to all of this....

after we left Mr Pizza...Dave Bear and I split my campsite in Gorham...I took a hot shower and then fell fast asleep on the nice cushy pillow that Dave Bear bought for me during his afternoon siesta..after updating trail conditions from my Blackberry of course...the time is now 1am.

I slept very deeply for 3 hours 21 mins...then awoke, hit snooze every five minutes for 5 cycles,arose... threw all my gear in my car, gave Dave a huge hug and then drove to the Highland Center.

After a very quick breakfast, I set out on the Crawford Path at 6:45 am, reaching Pierce and the big crew from Mitpah at 8:30 am. The goal, other than spending some quality time in the mountains with my main man, was to tag Pierce, Ike and Monroe for Terra the Dog's NH48 K9 Short List.

I had a wonderful time listening to Pat recite Leonard Cohen lyrics, got reacquainted with Mattie from the Daks, teased Bob of Bob and Geri, hugged Mats, declined an adventurous side trip with Meb and Lil Sistah, and in general, had a wonderful time hiking until the rain began.

And it rained and rained.

I must admit, I was very tired, and a bit snappy. And Terra was foot sore, and growly...but we did our best.

I was Oh so happy when someone suggested we turn around just after passing the side trail to Franklin...I was really getting cold and stiff and the Presis in a cold rain??? Not fun...

So I hotfooted it back to Pierce with MichaelJ....took the Ike bypass on the way back...think the summit woulda been easier.

Gave MJ a big hug and kiss at Pierce and headed down the Crawford Path.

Took a brief nap at the Liberty Springs Trail Head.

Stopped for an iced coffee at Half Baked and Fully Brewed.

Had a nice chat with SSmith at the Mountain Wanderer.

Home at 7pm sunday night.

About 48 miles in three days. Nice way to spend a weekend.

:)

2 up for Terra, not many more to go.

Last edited:
Wowsa, now that is 2 busy girls. (Sabrina and Terra that is). Congrats to all who spent a busy long weekend with Sabrina and Terrra. Yeah for hiking woman.:D Here's to you two ladies, for sure. Nice TR and pics everyone. How much did the moose antler weigh do you think?

I still can't believe you got up and set what must have been a record pace up to Pierce to meet me! I was just starting to get cold when the rest of the hikers from the hut arrived, and when they confirmed that they were *not* the people yelling "woo-hoo" in the distance, I knew it was you.

The entire ridge to Washington had cleared of clouds, too! Unfortunately, it filled back in and we got totally soaked.

This was one impressive weekend of hiking ... the Kilkenny is so beautiful and you had such a great day for it. I'm glad you finally got to sleep in this morning. :)

ps - I emailed you the avatar you wanted

Last edited: