New National Water Dashboard - Big Changes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
One of the "tools" I use when planning hikes typically in the spring is the streamflow data at various monitoring sites located around the whites to get an idea on stream crossings and snow melt conditions. There is new map based front end which is a plus compared to the prior state based sites https://dashboard.waterdata.usgs.gov/app/nwd/?region=lower48&aoi=default It comes with weather radar on by default which can be turned off (with some looking) which makes finding a gage a lot easier. The station colors denoting flow are useful for getting an overview. Currently the only "green" sites are on rivers controlled by upstream dams with most natural rivers in dark red (very low range). The Bartlette gage on the upper Saco is a new daily low (but its fairly new gage).

Where IMO it falls down is detailed station data. The info is there but it requires a bit of searching and scrolling.

The old detailed sites were not graphically pretty but a lot of info was available on one page. I looked up the East Branch of the Pemi gage

Old Page
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01074520

New Page
https://dashboard.waterdata.usgs.go...gencyCode=USGS&siteNumber=01074520&open=65830

The old page had the long term median flow superimposed on the flow by default, the new detail page doesn't ever show flow only gage height. Gage height and flow can be selected but it takes some looking and scrolling.

Looke like the old sites disappear after next June

This is a nice upgrade versus the old site. I didn't use it much (heading to work shortly) but I'm hoping all the historical data is still in there somewhere. Looks like pulling up an individual gauge just shows a week of readings.

The Northeast is definitely hurting badly for water and all the red dots make that pretty clear. I did an overnight in and around the Wild River wilderness last weekend and was shocked at how low everything was. Normal knee high fords for easy, dry foot rock hops. Most tributary brooks were bone dry. There was actually algae growing in the main body of the river in a lot of places. Was very disturbing to see.

Go to the blue bar on the top and look for "site page" then scroll down and you can select "discharge" (it defaults on gage height) then look at the bottom of the graph to the right and select "display median" The info it there but it just takes some looking.

The Wild River does vary in flow substantially, it was a daily record high flow last week when we got rain and dropped off quick as soon as the rain stopped. We dont get traditionaly flash floods in the northeast but the Wild River can really change in elevation in short period of time.

The Allagash and far northern Maine I've been told has been pretty good. (Figure, this is an off year for our scout trip.) They have been promoting the new sites for some time being officially unveiled on 1/1.

Go to the blue bar on the top and look for "site page" then scroll down and you can select "discharge" (it defaults on gage height) then look at the bottom of the graph to the right and select "display median" The info it there but it just takes some looking.

The Wild River does vary in flow substantially, it was a daily record high flow last week when we got rain and dropped off quick as soon as the rain stopped. We dont get traditionaly flash floods in the northeast but the Wild River can really change in elevation in short period of time.

That is crazy. I remember you pointing that out awhile back when I inquired about the area. I think it was 2 years ago I went in there after some good rain and the gauge was at 2000cfs at 5AM. By the time I hit the old Spider Bridge crossing it was 800-1000cfs (estimated after the fact off map) and about 600 cfs when I did the Shelburne Trail ford. Spider crossing had a strong flow and was mid-thigh on me for about 25 feet. Had to walk in the lee side of rocks in places. Shelburne was a modest flow maybe knee high (a bit down from official crossing). This week the Spider crossing was an easy rock hop with dry shoes. I think the gage was 20 or 30 cfs the day I did the crossings. Really didn't even see any mud at all, never mind standing water.

Last edited:
New record flow on the Wild River today. The gage is up 3' overnight and looks like another batch of showers this AM will crank it up again.

New record flow on the Wild River today. The gage is up 3' overnight and looks like another batch of showers this AM will crank it up again.

Hopefully that will flush all the algae out of there and make the swimming holes usable again. It was pretty nasty a few weeks ago.

The Allagash and far northern Maine I've been told has been pretty good. (Figure, this is an off year for our scout trip.) They have been promoting the new sites for some time being officially unveiled on 1/1.

My kid did the Penobscot out of Milinocket yesterday and I was really surprised by the amount of water they had. Even managed to capsize! She was the last one out in lower pic. KIDS!!

A few pics...

PENOB1.jpg

PENOB2.jpg

Last edited:
Recreational releases from the upstream dams is the lifeblood of those rafting firms. They line up for when the dams open up to supply southern New England power when it warms up during the summer.

I just assumed all lake and stream levels in central Maine were way down due to drought.

If you know what day they were on the river, the historical data is readilly available for that data as well as the long term trends.