New to 'Yaking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Greetings,

I purchased a kayak last month for the first time. I wanted something I could go on flat water with. After much research I decided on a Loon 11.5 footer which is made by Old Town. I purchased it online from L.L. Bean who I think is the exclusive seller of Old Town kayaks. Anyway, does anybody on the board have any experience with Old Town kayaks? If so how would you rate them? So far I have taken it out a few times and I feel like I've made a good purchase. If any of you are Old Town owners would you do it over again or would you go with a different brand?

Thanks.

I used to sell Old Town boats at the shop I worked at (Bean is not an exclusive dealer although they have "LL Bean" editions). The Loon is a good all around boat, much better than the Otter, which is more or less junk. The loon comes with adjustable foot pegs, deck rigging, a better seat and I think a dry compartment or two. You can also buy a spray skirt for them.

I know quite a few people who have those boats and love them. They take them everywhere from small streams, rivers and Lake Superior on calm days. Those are OTs Polylink 3 construction, which is not as light as some other materials, but extrememly durable.

While Old Town's overall boat quality has gone downhill in recent years (my opinion) they do still make decent stuff.

One lesson I think I've learned is not to solicit opinions on a 'yak (or almost anything else) I've already bought, unless I'm within a refund/trade-in window.

Anyway, I've never owned an Old Town kayak but have paddled many including my wife's five-year old Loon. For me, it's slow and steady, but also stable and it goes in a straight line. If you're not looking for adventure, it's a better choice by far than my own vintage slalom toothpick on a pond or lake when the wind picks up.

As you develop profiiency with balance and build up your comfort level, you may find yourself leaning toward a lighter, shorter yak, but it makes no sense to rush that process.

Our friend had one and we have had good luck when she used it,with us, for some great wildlife viewing in and around some of the bogs and ponds and even some of the estuaries also.
Excellent luck seeing moose, and eagles and Osprey.
A lot has to be location, location.
I like those kinds of boats ..stable, for viewing through binocs and you can bring them most any where.
...Need to be a bit mindful of the wind though....

I paddled an Old Town Loon when I was on East Grand Lake (north of Danforth, ME) when I biked there with my friend who owns a camp there. It is a bathtub but is perfectly fine on lakes and rivers and stuff. Had it out for a few hours on a clear sunny day, not windy, not much chop on the lake. Can't say how it would handly it but I would not want to capsize it, it is a lot of volume in there to have to pump out. Fortunately with it's size, I can imagine it would be hard to actually try to turn it over. :)

Jay