Nice or Necessary for winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand warmers

A tip I picked up from another thread on this site involving handwarmers
was to put them in your "last pair" of gloves..By the time you need to put them on your hands may be cold and wet..nothing like sliding into a warm dry pair of gloves..they are cheap enough...thanks Kim

I fill my nalgenes with boiling water in the morning at home..in the insulated bottle covers liquid stays warm for hours..

I do like the blakava or however you spell that and have in pack..this year trying a fleece insulated..water resistant Carhartt hat with drop down earflaps that wrap around chin..with a visor..keeps the snow etc off the sunglasses..and very stylish....

nice thread...lots of good info

I fill my nalgenes with boiling water in the morning at home..in the insulated bottle covers liquid stays warm for hours..

Very good tip. One thing, too, which is fairly common knowledge now is to store the Nalgene upside in the insulator, because the water freezes from the top down. Just MAKE SURE that there is no water in the threads of the lid, or else it can freeze shut. I say this from personal experience.

Very good tip. One thing, too, which is fairly common knowledge now is to store the Nalgene upside in the insulator, because the water freezes from the top down. Just MAKE SURE that there is no water in the threads of the lid, or else it can freeze shut. I say this from personal experience.

no doubt..also learned the hard way

I figured I had it licked when using boiling water stored upside down..

maybe thats a good use for the toe warmers:)

A lightweight saw for emergency firewood, e.g., a Sven saw. The 15 inch is handy to carry as a solo hiker, the 21" is more efficient for cutting. (Before the LNT references start, please note that I do not use a fire for cooking or for supplementary warmth in non-emergency circumstances.)

Full-length closed cell pad -- only Colin Fletcher would try to lighten a Z-rest pad :rolleyes: (Ray Jardine moves so fast, he never touches the ground anyway and has no need for a pad . . . )

Enough clothing to lie motionless on the ground on top of my pad if necessary until "they" find me. (The same clothing also serves as possible loaners to others I might find in extremis.)

Some kind of stove -- Svea 123(R) for extravagant simmering, Esbit for quick and dirty (the latter pun is intentional :( ) --

A pot for making hot water for soup, noodles, beverage, etc. The Jetboil cup works great for this, with its heat exchanger. The Jetboil burner stays home in the winter.

Powdered Jello for any others found in extremis -- if you don't like orange, tough, you're in extremis and not in a position to be picky ;)

Last edited:
A lightweight saw for emergency firewood, e.g., a Sven saw. The 15 inch is handy to carry as a solo hiker, the 21" is more efficient for cutting. (Before the LNT references start, please note that I do not use a fire for cooking or for supplementary warmth in non-emergency circumstances.)

Sardog, you and others must have some thoughts about this. I always figure, if I have the mobility, energy and time to putter around building a fire in winter, why am I not hiking out? And if someone else is cold, can I really create a fire that will keep this person warm? Now we are probably talking about some serious snow digging and mounding to create a worthwhile space to keep warm, unless we roast the victim directly over the slowly sinking pit of fire that has developed. It seems like an extra down jacket would solve these problems just as efficiently and leave me with substantially more time during this emergency to putter around doing other things, like taking vital signs and listening to my iPod.

That said, I once improbably used a Sven Saw to cut deadwood to create a makeshift bridge over a flooded stream during melt time. This made it possible to continue without risking getting lots of gear wet on a backpacking trip. So, I can't say these things don't have their uses.

New this year: Stuff sacks (love em), Pad - I got a full-sized Z-rest. I notice some people cut this just big enough to sleep on. Thoughts on this?

Tim

I have one of these Z-rests. I love mine. If you can cut it just big enough, by all means, go for it. Depending, of course, on what type of sleeper you are. I assume you mean cutting it length wise, not width.

What to do with those extra sections of rest pad? I was given a fantastic suggestion once about this. Take out the liner to your double plastic boot, cut out the impression to create a footpad for the plastic boot. When you're at camp, you can let the liner air out and only wear the shell. It also makes it easier to put them on quick if you need to get out of the tent in the middle of the night for whatever reason.

Be careful with the Burt's Bees Lifeguard stuff. I used it on a glacier with no issue, but I also had some lip balm underneath with sunscreen. The reason being, the burt's bees has titanium dioxide, but the company doesn't put an SPF rating anywhere about the stick. So who knows how much they use or if it's going to work. Granted, titanium dioxide IS an effective physical sun barrier but if Burt's Bees isn't going to put an SPF rating on it, I don't personally feel 100% comfortable only trusting it. (I just think it looks funny, so I like wearing it)

Maybe someone who knows more about Lifeguard's Choice. I was just warned by the guides I hired not to use it. I still did, didn't get burned over 2 weeks of very very harsh sun, but I still used something underneath.

I have always carried: Lip balm, Hot drink (and/or hot soup), insulated bottle carriers and hand warmers (still in the package.) My zipper pulls are rigged for operation while wearing mittens.

If sunny and exposed, then: Sunblock + Sunglasses. I rarely need the sunglasses, I've noticed, and the few times I've worn them they get scratched.

New this year: Stuff sacks (love em), Pad - I got a full-sized Z-rest. I notice some people cut this just big enough to sleep on. Thoughts on this?

Tim

I got a Ridge-Rest that I cut into a 2/3 piece to use under my Therma-Rest for sleeping on; also, it's use as a bench seat when cooking. The 1/3 piece is used to stand on in camp, sit on trailside, and numerous household activities.

Be careful with the Burt's Bees Lifeguard stuff. I used it on a glacier with no issue, but I also had some lip balm underneath with sunscreen. The reason being, the burt's bees has titanium dioxide, but the company doesn't put an SPF rating anywhere about the stick. So who knows how much they use or if it's going to work. Granted, titanium dioxide IS an effective physical sun barrier but if Burt's Bees isn't going to put an SPF rating on it, I don't personally feel 100% comfortable only trusting it. (I just think it looks funny, so I like wearing it)

Maybe someone who knows more about Lifeguard's Choice. I was just warned by the guides I hired not to use it. I still did, didn't get burned over 2 weeks of very very harsh sun, but I still used something underneath.

SPF compounds are not organic, and since Burt's Bees is organic, there is no official SPF rating. However, some of the websites that sell it give it an estimated rating of SPF 15, which is backed by many reviews I've read about it which verify its effectiveness around that level of protection.

Last edited:
I notice many have said they carry hand-warmers, but have yet to use them.
I carry hand and foot warmers,filed under "emergency equipment" in my pack, and also have never used them. Has anyone gotten to the point of breking theirs out?

Unfortunately for me hand and foot warmers are not emergency gear. They are most of the time gear. I kind of have a bum HVAC system or something in regards to my hands and feet. Not diagnosed but I suspect something like Reynaud's. Once my toes start to get chilled they seem to vasospasm and then just go downhill from there. My fingers sometimes do the same but not as badly. So, if it's really cold, I'll start a hike with the toe warmers already in. That usually keeps them happy for the duration of the hike. Keeping my toes cozy is super important. ;)

One trick I use is to open only one hand warmer from a set (generally they are sealed individually) then I'll alternate it between mitts until my fingers warm up. Makes them go further. Also, if my hands are warm and toasty but there's still heat left, I'll offer them around to others in the group. I'm a pusher...always pushing my hand warming goodness, trying to get people hooked. ;)

It's sad to say, but I'm not sure I could winter day hike without those things. I know it's bad to be dependent on them, but it's either that or don't play outside when it's cold. I'll choose dependence.

The fire comes into play primarily if the person is immobile and we're going to be waiting for an evac for a lengthy period. Putting additional insulation on such a person is often inadequate in maintaining body warmth. (Adding another person alongside the injured/immobilized subject in a sleeping bag can make a difference.) The saw is also useful for rigging a litter or travois if necessary.

The JetBoil burner, along with every other canister stove, is inadequate IMO in winter conditions at low (i.e., Northeastern) elevations (including the Rock Pile.) That's because the fuel won't vaporize when I really, really need it to do so at subzero temperatures. (Please spare me the tips on keeping gas canisters warm. The Svea runs at -35F on its own for as long as there's fuel in the tank.)

The common thread among my tips in this thread? Imagine that the #$%! has hit the fan and congealed there, way below zero, with the wind blowing and darkness sweeping across the treetops.

T
The Svea runs at -35F on its own for as long as there's fuel in the tank.)
The common thread among my tips in this thread? Imagine that the #$%! has hit the fan and congealed there, way below zero, with the wind blowing and darkness sweeping across the treetops.

Looks like the SVEA does not need priming. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Do you have to mess around with a small amount of gas in small cup to light it?
I have an older MSR and don't especially like all the extra. Fuel line attached to bottle, the priming, the praying, the windscreen, etc.
This thing even had it's own pot. It looks so much simpler to use.

The JetBoil burner, along with every other canister stove, is inadequate IMO in winter conditions at low (i.e., Northeastern) elevations (including the Rock Pile.) That's because the fuel won't vaporize when I really, really need it to do so at subzero temperatures. (Please spare me the tips on keeping gas canisters warm. The Svea runs at -35F on its own for as long as there's fuel in the tank.)

Good to know (since I have a JetBoil). I'll upgrade.

In an emergency, you may need the full size pad--the victim may have to lie down.

Pads (perhaps doubled or tripled) can also be used as magazine splints.

Doug
My rationale for not cutting it is as Doug says here.

AlexTal said:
I have one of these Z-rests. I love mine. If you can cut it just big enough, by all means, go for it. Depending, of course, on what type of sleeper you are. I assume you mean cutting it length wise, not width.
My mistake -- I did mean to say to SIT on, not to sleep on. Meaning cut the 3rd or 4th fold, width-wise. This makes it fit more easily on the side of most packs, or even inside. I would not have thought about cutting it myself, but while light, it really can only be stored strapped to the back of my pack (possible over the snowshoes.)

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks, WinterWarlock. Guess I'll be making yet another trip to the store soon. Which I never mind, since I always find something else in there I simply MUST have. ;)

This is a great thread! Everyone has varied tricks and tips that are extra useful in winter.
I have added straps to my bigger outer mitts and gloves, with a large loop around my wrist so when I need to take them off briefly I can shrug them off, they dangle from my wrists and do not blow away in a gale.
If I take them off for longer periods of time, I clip the chest strap through them the same as Wardsgirl does.
To stop them filling with snow I shove the open end of one glove into the other, so they close each other off.

The straps you added sound like "idiot loops" that are pretty much standard issue on most mitts/gloves these days...yours didn't have them? I have an old pair of BD gloves that didn't, so I added them, but I don't recall seeing any/many current issue handgear without them.

My hands -- and the rest of me, for that matter -- sweat A LOT when hiking. So much so that, even above treeline in the ADKs/Whites I ususally only have a pair of thin polypro liners on. However, I also have a pair of mitts (BD Mercury's -- those things are the shiznit!!) hanging by the idiot loops on my wrists. Anytime I stop to rest or if my hands just get a little cold I pop 'em into the mitts. I cinch down the wrist strap tight to keep snow from collecting in the mitt when I'm not wearing them. I just shake out any snow that's accumulated in the cuff before putting them on. Works good for me.

Last weekend a group of us went ice climbing on the Tucks headwall and I used a pair of leather-palmed OR gloves for climbing, and kept the mitts tucked inside my insulating layer so that when I arrived at the belays, I simply swapped the gloves for the mitts (and vice versa when I started climbing again) and it was sweet to always be putting on warm handwear.

"Mmmmm....toasty!"

On the subject of cold hands...
Someone at my AWFA class this weekend suggested wearing nitrile exam gloves as an inner, vapor-barrier liner. They worked pretty well at keeping me toasty while lying around waiting for the team to splint my "broken" femur.

Does anybody remember a couple of years ago when the Natick labs had a therapy for encouraging blood flow to the hands in cold? Something to do with alternating cold and warm-water immersion. I can't seem to find it back (and want to try it.)

On the subject of cold hands...
Someone at my AWFA class this weekend suggested wearing nitrile exam gloves as an inner, vapor-barrier liner. They worked pretty well at keeping me toasty while lying around waiting for the team to splint my "broken" femur.

Its funny you should mention that....while I was out painting the AT boundary last week with a pair of old gloves with holes in them, I put on a pair of exam gloves under them, so I wouldn't get my hands all paint, and noticed my hands were nice and toasty!:cool: