Nikon CoolPix

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using the Nikon Coolpix compact series?
Looking at the 8200 or 9300.
I feel like I'm cheating on Canon by even casting a longing gaze at a Nikon, but oh well.

No experience with the Nikon, but have you considered the Canon SX150is ? I've had the 130 for about 18 months and have been very happy with it. You don't even need to feel like you're cheating... ;)

I had an older model of the coolpix (4 series circa 2005-6). It was a horrible piece of equipment. Honestly, the worst camera I've ever owned (worse than my phone). It was a "only take pictures in perfect lighting situations" kind of camera with no manual mode. It was a huge disappointment.

I'm sure things have come along in 6 years with their technology so this may not be very helpful. The "s" series looks much improved, but I can't vouch for it. Once you get burned.... Canon is going to have to do something really wrong for me to take a serious look at Nikon again. ;)

Nikon hasn't had great success in the small camera market since their early success with 990. They make adequate cameras, and their image quality is beginning to improve. The functionality is fine and they seem willing to put a number of models out there for many niches.

The 9100 (the predecessor to the 9300) was adequate but not special, I don't know much about the 8200.

My wife has the Coolpix AW100 for stuffing in the pocket when she doesn't want to risk her DSLR bodies and lenses in the rain or on the water. She likes it well enough for its purpose (it has a number of exposure controls), but it is admittedly something of a niche camera. If I can actually pry it loose, I'll give it a field test and report back.