Nippletop and Dial 2-5-2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
PICTURES

Well after injuring my knee in the Seward Range a month ago it was time to take to the trail again. So Ryan, Barkeater, Bob, Ed, Commission Point and myself met at the parking area of the Ausable Club around 6am. This was my first time meeting Ed, Bob and Commission Point and what a great group of guys!

So we signed in and took off up the Lake Road at 630. We all made really good time until the cut off trail where we ate some and drank. The trail began to steepen and WOW is all I can say. After being laid up a month with little exercise I was definately feeling the burn!

About a 1/4 mile from the Elk Pass Juntion Commission Point was not feeling the greatest and turned around. I could tell in his face he was disappointed but they will be there for him next time.

So from here we started making great time and the sun was shining in our faces and we all shedded a layer of clothing. I took off my softshell and my gloves and was feeling great. When we arrived at Elk Pass the wind was blowing a little and started drifting the snow.

The day before 2 guys broke out all the way to Dial. We thanked them when we saw them on the Lake Road earlier that morning. I could not believe how steep the trail was to Nippletop. The last time I was here was about 8 years ago. It is amazing how you forget things about how steep a trail is.

Once we arrived at the summit a short time after IKE, Dean G., Redshorts, Siobhan, and Peggy greeted us. From here on we all hiked together carrying on in great conversation and laughs.

Once on the summit of Dial the clouds started rolling in but still offering great views of the Great Range. The wind was picking up and I finally put on my softshell again. The climb over to Bear Den was not bad but going over to Noonmark Shoulder kicked my butt. At this point I was just wishing the uphill was done.

I can remember the views being awesome from the burn section but the storm front moved in and it started snowing offering litle views. Once all of us were on top we all started heading down the Leach trail under light snowfall.

At this point my bad knee started acting up again and it started to snow really heavy. All I wanted to be was down to the LAke Road! Once we finally arrived we ran into Viewseeker as he just climbed Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong. Great job Rob and Rob.

On the way out the remainder of the road the snow came down so heavy I could not see a thing. My glasses were coated so thick in snow Once we go to the trail register I think we were all relieved the day was done. We made it out before dark and what a great day to be in the ADK!

Not sure if our trail will be broken out or not after the 8 plus inches that fell over night from Saturday into Sunday but at least there will be a good base for the next crew.

It was so great hiking with old friends and meeting new ones. I hope we all canhike again very soon!

Happy Trails!

Adam

Adam, is that why you climb in winter to take pictures of Cheez Whiz glass jar! You should not post the evidence on the web...
GLASS CONTAINERS ARE PROHIBITED (High Peak Regulation)

Last edited:
"they're actually lightweight props made of open-cell foam-no glass used at all"
Yeah right and I am sixteen years old!:D