North and Middle Tripyramid via Pine Bend Brook and Tripyramid Trail (2-17-2016)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trails: Pine Bend Brook and Tripyramid Trails

Conditions: not much snow on trail. What is there is hard packed for nearly the whole way. The exception was a short stretch of drifted snow along the ridge making for 8 inches in a few spots. Two inches of recently fallen wet, dense snow covered the path. Although glissading out this trail at the end if often fun in other years, the lack of any snow on the sides of the track make it a dangerous idea right now. I bare booted the first mile or so before using microspikes which were plenty of traction. Didn't carry snowshoes. A couple easy blowdowns to go around. Crossings were easy enough but interesting in spots. Breaking up some.

Comments: Gorgeous day out with bright sun, warm temps for February, and little wind. Hiked in a long base layers on top and bottom and was fine until up high when I added a fleece for the rest of the hike. Saw one other guy and two dogs. Absolutely love the wooded ridge as you approach the summit cone of North Tripyramid from this route. The Tripyramids have always been one of my favorite ridges. Seemed more like an early May hike than February.