Old car image search on Google is a neat tool!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
I thought I would try photo posting tools in this new VFFT. I was hiking in Flagg Hill Conservation Land in Stowe MA yesterday and came across an old quarry re-purposed into sort of a junk yard. I found this really picturesque wreck with very unusual fenders and stuff and wondered what kind of car it could be. I walked all around it in search of markings that might yield a clue. There was only two letters remaining in the trunk lid "K" and "D" with K centered directly over the latch. Must be a Packard! I dragged one of my images into Google image search tool and Voila I found lots of old wrecks, but also some hits on restoration old car imagery in Hemmings Auto News etc. I found convertible version of this 1948 Super Eight sedan.

20230327_144731-X2.jpg

20230327_145238-X2.jpg

1948%20Packard%20Super%208%201-L.jpg

1948%20Packard%20Super%208%202-L.jpg

I came across this truck in the woods around Elbow Pond but have never been motivated to try to ID it.IMG_20200307_105608_134.jpg

Perhaps a Chevy truck from late 1940s.
After some searching, it looks like the chrome "badge" above the grille is in the shape of what would have been on the front of a 30's/40's International K/KB series but the lights don't seem to match.

Attachments

• 3415085077_80a4efdf59_b.jpg
    3415085077_80a4efdf59_b.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 0
The hood's creases, chrome ornament on top, windshield shape, and the badge at the top of the grille are all perfect matches for the picture posted by JoshandBaron. I think somebody removed the fenders (to allow bigger tires and/or beefier suspension, for mud / snow / rocks ) and added new headlight mounts (in a higher position).
Edit: actually, the height of the headlights might not have changed. The hood seems to be detached at the back, with its nose tilted downward, making the headlights seem high by comparison.

Last edited:
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. My BiL is a big car buff, and it'll be fun to send him pics from our hikes with better guesses on what they are.

Not long ago I came across another antique car while hiking near Harvard Shaker Village in Harvard MA - not in middle of woods but on forest road. I forgot about it and came across these photos I took at the time. I wondered what kind of car this was at the time. I sure looked familiar.

IMG_0114-XL.jpg

This little gem was on private property not far from the road so I used my nifty zoom camera to get a closer look at it. The antique Electrolux vacuums look like "retro" rockets!!!
IMG_0115-XL.jpg

So what kind of car is this? Google Image Search came to the rescue again.

1958%20CITROEN%202CV%20FOURGONETTE%20-3-XL.jpg

Another image I came up with

1958%20CITROEN%202CV%20FOURGONETTE%20-2-XL.jpg

Showing my age here - I had a buddy in high school (1972 or so) who used to have one of these. They have 3 cylinders and I recall he had to mix oil with his gas to run it.
1958%20CITROEN%202CV%20FOURGONETTE%20-4-XL.jpg

The 2CV famously had a two-cylinder engine, a "boxer" design as the French say, i think you call it a "flat twin" in English. And it only used ordinary gasoline. (Leaded originally, but they didn't actually change anything in the engine when they switched the recommendation to unleaded around 1980.) There were about four different engines offered over the decades (from about 9 HP all the way to 30), but I've never heard of one with three cylinders or that used an oil mix.

PS you can date these based on style changes to lights, wheel wells, and hood. Note the corrugated hood with near-vertical vents on the side in your rusty hulk - matches the 1958 model you found for sale, but not the other one.

Last edited: