Orono/Bangor area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robs

Reaction score
Does anyone know of anything that is a good testing ground for equipment near Bangor/Orono? I was looking at the topo map on Google maps and it looked like everything within an hour is way under 2000 feat... I know there is a trail network near UMaine, but it's almost completely flat...Do I really have to go all the way to Acadia NP for a decent hike?:confused:

Any trails, mountains, challenging hills (is that an oxy-moron?), etc. where you can use crampons/snow shoes within a short drive are appreciated, thanks!

Until a certain gentleman appears...

Even Acadia is way under 2000' but that doesn't make it trivial because you start so low. Look at guidebooks for some of the former fire towers peaks E on Rte. 9 and toward the coast, climb several to make it harder :)

Does anyone know of anything that is a good testing ground for equipment near Bangor/Orono? I was looking at the topo map on Google maps and it looked like everything within an hour is way under 2000 feat... I know there is a trail network near UMaine, but it's almost completely flat...Do I really have to go all the way to Acadia NP for a decent hike?:confused:

Any trails, mountains, challenging hills (is that an oxy-moron?), etc. where you can use crampons/snow shoes within a short drive are appreciated, thanks!
besides what Roy says, get a copy of the AMC Maine Mountain Guide. They list many good hiking destinations in almost all parts of the state (even in Aroostook County). It's a good reference which I used to climb several lesser known peaks in Hancock and Washington Counties this summer.

I test all my equipment in the Bangor area....

As for crampons and ice axe, I've taken a couple of people to Dedham Bald (see Lost Ski Area website for more info) for practice. Also, Chick Hill (aka Peaked Mtn.) has some good cliffs for all sorts of endeavors.

I sometimes "test" snowshoes in my backyard, although the ice we have now won't make it much fun quite yet! This ice is perfect for walking around in your crampons if that is the sort of testing you had in mind.

Send me a PM if interested for more specifics. Sitting in Orono, as I type...

Spencer

Last edited: