Our built landscape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the fortified bunkers at Odiorne Point State Park in NH?

How about the fortified bunkers at Odiorne Point State Park in NH?

I guess my favorite WWII artifact is the sandbagging that still remains at the old submarine watchers posts on Morse Mountain on the coast of Maine. The property is owned by Bates College. Seawall beach is another name for the site. Also Josephine Newman Wildlife Sanctuary. The bunkers and sandbags are just off the road on the top of Morse Mountain. Not much remains after 70 years of weathering, just remnants. When I was a boy, living just a few miles away at Five Islands, I remember seeing a tall plume of black smoke far out to sea and being told that it was from one of our ships that had been torpedoed by a German U-boat that morning.

My father was in the Merchant Marine, but he was running with convoys out of Halifax so we knew it wasn't his ship.

Ok here is my perplexing moment. On the Mt. Willard trail there are a series of concrete drains that were installed on the trail. They look like the drains used under the roadways. I dont think you can see them under the snow right now but come spring time they will once again pop up. I could NEVER understand why they were there or who put them there.

That darn 4" diameter piep that runs down Jefferson Notch road and half way along the length of Mt Clinton Road is one I always wonder about, escpecially since its maintained.