Owl's Head - The Return - July 30, 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Is the alarm clock snooze button really a good idea? Was the concept a gift from the gods, or just a modern-day apple with which to tempt humanity? Saturday morning I was already planning to start on the 9-mile-long trail to Owl's Head close to 2 hours behind HikerBob. The snooze button would make it a little harder.

Owl's Head sits in the center of the Pemigewasset Wilderness; it is an 8 mile hike with 1,350 feet of elevation gain just to get to the base of the unofficial "Owl's Head Path". This portion of the hike is relatively easy, following the routes of J.E. Henry's old logging railroads. It begins with the nearly-straight, nearly-flat Wilderness Trail, turns onto the Franconia Brook Trail, then onto the Lincoln Brook Trail, following Lincoln Brook the entire rest of the way.

From the cairn out on the Lincoln Brook Trail, the Owl's Head Path has a completely different character, heading directly up a slide on the west side of the mountain. This slide is very loose, made up primarily of rock around 4-8" across, interspersed with gravel patches, exposed loose dirt, and the occasional large chunk of unmoving rock. Portions of slab are exposed along one edge for a stretch. From the top of the slide, the trail moves into the trees, continuing to climb as steeply as before until the contours start to spread apart, where the trail then makes a few switchback-like turns before attaining the ridge and heading easily to the marked summit, 1,500 feet in only a mile from the cairn.

HikerBob's plan was to be on the trail at 6:00am with his coworker Lisa. Living a bit over 2 hours from the trailhead, that would have meant waking up far earlier than I ever intend to, so I had told him that I'd be on the trail at 8:00am, and would simply do my best to catch up to him. Bob's not a speedy hiker and stops a lot to take pictures, so I hoped that given the great distance involved in getting out to Owl's Head, I would be able to make up some time and hopefully catch them on the summit or not too far from it on their return.

Unfortunately, I was a victim of the snooze button that morning, was late getting on the road, and wasn't stepping onto the suspension bridge (after a short hello from a ranger named Fred who saw my VFTT shirt and commented that he had a sticker on his truck) at the start of the Wilderness Trail until 8:45am, 2:39 behind Bob and Lisa (they'd left on note on his car). This would mean the worst: hiking out 7 or 8 miles only to bump into them and then having to decide whether to summit and hike out alone or turn around with them. Remember, I was out only for fun; I've finished my 48 and outside of winter I didn't need to climb Owl's Head again. Since I didn't want a quandry, I put it into high gear and hauled myself down the trail as fast as I could.

I cruised by several groups of people on the Wilderness Trail, some just day hikers or tourists heading to Franconia Falls for the day, others with backpacks loaded up for the weekend. I was at the Pemi Wilderness boundary and the junction with the Franconia Brook Trail in only 45 minutes (2.9 mi). The weather was beautiful - clear blue skies, temps in the mid to upper 60's, and a light breeze. I continued to the crossing of Franconia Brook. Under wetter conditions, this can be a difficult crossing, and often hikers will bushwhack from Black Pond to avoid this crossing and the subsequent crossing of Lincoln Brook. Today, however, I was able to rock-hop both brooks without incident. I stopped for a brief snack on the bank before continuing on.

The Lincoln Brook Trail is a little more difficult to set a rhythm on. While there are sections that are smooth and well-packed, there are quite a few areas where the bank has collapsed and instead of an old railroad bed there are rocks and roots, wandering left and right and watching every step. Through the trees I could glimpse the southern slide (not normally, if ever, climbed) and the pointed feature actually known as the Owl's Head, a considerable distance from the summit.

Finally I arrived at the cairn marking the junction with the Owl's Head Path at the base of the slide. It's not the same cairn that was there last year, but is a fine one nonetheless; thanks to Sherpa John for rebuilding it! I was 8 miles from my starting point in only 2:45, and I could feel every footstep throughout my body. After talking briefly with two other hikers starting up the slide, I stashed my extra water bottle (it was still frozen and not drinkable, so why carry the two pounds), ate my sandwich, and started up.

The path is well-marked with cairns and blue blazes, and does not hesitate at all - it goes right up. The slide was loose as always, but dry, and not a problem at all to ascend. My steps were slow and careful; I didn't mind the slow! Soon, an amazing view opened up behind me. From Lincoln Brook rose a steep bank to a plateau-like crest. From there, the massive gothic line of Franconia Ridge towered, scarred by the great slide down the back of Mt. Lincoln. I had a clear view from Garfield all the way to Flume, a view not from above, but still from below, with a feeling of enormity.

After negotiating the slide, the trail enters the woods at a small, gurgling spring. I dipped my bandana, wiped my face, and entered the trees. The trail here was just as steep, climbing roughly over eroded rock and exposed roots. Over time and distance it would ease into a more moderate climb and turn away from the fall line, where the only challenges were a number of blowdowns. It was in that stretch that I discovered from another hiker that HikerBob was not far ahead of me, and still going up. Not much futher up I did catch him, and we walked together across the top of the ridge to the summit, where I jumped just ahead of him so that I could joke about starting so far behind and still beating him to the top. I made the 9 miles, 2850' elevation gain, in 4:15; book time is 5:55. Okay, I'll be honest ... I'm proud of that.

Lisa had already been sitting at the summit, and we all took pictures, celebrated Bob's 47th of the 48 NH 4000-footers, and enjoyed sitting and snacking. It's a wooded summit, but is open and picturesque in its own right, and the weather was beyond perfect with very few bugs.

We eventually had to accept the fact that there were still 9 miles back to the car, and to start down the trail. Descending the slide was not a problem - some people don't like loose slides, whereas I prefer them over open slabs. I just put myself into a snowshoeing mentality and expect the ground motion under my feet. We regrouped back down at the cairn, speaking to some other hikers on their way around to 13 Falls campsite. In all we probably saw 8 or 9 people heading up Owl's Head - it was a popular summit that day!

After a quick snack we started back. I was in need of water and had brought my filter, so we paused at the crossing of Liberty Brook for me to resupply. There we saw a couple of adults with kids who I think were scouts. They had huge packs and that late in the day I'm not sure where they were heading; these were in fact people I'd passed that morning on the Wilderness Trail. We exchanged pleasantries and moved on, making good time down the trail, reveling in the sunlight cast through the green forest and the gurgling of the brook to our side. All the crossings again went smoothly, and once on the Wilderness Trail, Lisa and I let our strides out and cruised ahead of Bob; it felt really good to take long steps and not have to manage our footing. We got to the suspension bridge at 6:40pm, and I immediately went down to the bank of the East Branch to soak my feet in the cold water while waiting for Bob. It felt good. Really, really good.

HikerBob arrived just before 7:00, and from there it was just a short struggle up the stairs by the ranger station and we were back at our cars. While I don't think I'll be reclimbing Owl's Head on a whim anytime soon, it was an excellent and enjoyable day with great company. I've now climbed Owl's Head both as an overnight and as a day hike, and the feeling of accomplishment is a good one.

I only took a few pictures on this trip, so I didn't create an entire album. Just click on any of the above thumbnails to go to the full-size (approx 1.7MB each), or look at my album from last year's 2-day trip, exactly 53 weeks prior to this one.
:)

The Snooze button IS a gift from the gods by the way! Great Report. I wish I would have known we had a Western Mass contigent heading up there. I hated Owl's Head when I first did it but am dying to get back there now. Did you happen to check out the spire at the southern end of the Owl's Head ridge? That looks like it would be an interesting climb.

SilentCal said:
Did you happen to check out the spire at the southern end of the Owl's Head ridge? That looks like it would be an interesting climb.

I definitely want to get up there sometime in my lifetime. There and the southern ledges as well. In fact, a complete exploration of the summit, the ridge, and all the paths up there is in order (see other threads here about OH). That will be an overnight trip, though; I'd want to be able to take my time up there. :)

Great trip report Michael and quite an achievment for that outward time!

After such a long day - up at 12:30am after too few hours sleep, 12 hours of hiking and over 400 miles of driving, arriving home at 2am on Sunday :eek: I slept in this morning :)

I'm still working on my pictures (I took close to 100 !) and will post later when I'm done.

It was a great day out indeed and the weather was perfect. Lisa and I made pretty good time on the easy stuff but tarried for around 20 minutes in one delightful spot on Lincoln Brook where I attempted to photograph trout jumping for bugs.

After a lunch break at the base of the slide we headed up. Having done the North tripyramid slide a few weeks ago I have to say I found the Owl's Head slide to be more challenging. It is shorter and, on paper at least, less steep but there were quite a few very steep scrambles and lots and lots of loose debris. Much care had to be taken not to loose off rather large chunks of rock onto anyone coming up from below.

I was still suffering a little from the effects of a bad breakfast choice and was feeling quite ill from the heat and exertion on the slide. Throwing down healthy quantities of Gatorade did nothing to hep the internal goings on but I pressed on.

Above the slide a passing hiker asked if I was Hikerbob and informed me that someone a little ways behind had asked after me. Minutes later MichaelJ appeared and he told me of his late start and fast hike in. Had he not been slowed in the last quarter mile or so by keeping me company he would have had an even more impressive time.

I scrapped my plans for a investigation of the disputed higher ground further along the ridge leaving that adventure for another day. We sat and chatted and munched and then headed down.

Ascending the slide was challenging, descending even more so. Facing the exposure is psychologically tougher and all the loose stuff makes for interesting moments! One such moment when a large rock, maybe 18 inches across, decided to surf out from under me planting me on my butt with one leg beneath me and the other stuck out into space was made even more interesting by the swarms of large, and very upset, ants streamed out of the spot where my hand had dislodged another rock. I did not take pictures!

Safely down and regrouped we headed out. At the wilderness trail I switched from boots to Teva Terra F1's as an experiment. Great choice! My feet cooled off and although still a tad sore from the days hike I did not suffer as much as on previous occasions. The Tevas have a thick enough sole to prevent pressure from the ground, a nicely contoured footbed and velcro straps that allow for a perfect fit. Not sure how well they would do on a rougher trail but these will be coming with me more often for sure.

While Lisa and Michael headed out at a comfortable stride and soon dissapeared from view I ambled on with another hiker and we chatted about this and that. We caught up to a young couple and the girl was suffering from cramps and generally not happy. I offered water and tylenol but she declined. Turns out they were with the guy I was hiking out with and they were on the way back from a trip to Bondcliff. This was her first hike!

As usual the Wilderness Trail seems to never end but having more comfortable feet made it less of a chore and soon we turned the corner to see Lisa and Michael waiting at the bridge.

We rounded off a great day with a meal at the Mooseland grill in the company of a crazy bunch of VFTTers who had not only done Isolation via the Davis Path (including all side trips) but also added in Washington AND ran out the Tuckerman Ravine trail :eek: I will let them reveal their identities and tell their tale. We also bumped into JohnS, Meri and Toe Cozy at the Moose. It was VFTT night for sure :)

Well, that was #47. Just Garfield left to do on August 13th.

Bob

Last edited:
Hey! You said you were just going home ... if I knew there was still going to be a dinner get-together I would have gone to the Mooseland!

Nice TR. I especially love the maps and the pix of the new unofficial, unauthorized :p , but totally necessary cairn!

I met a couple of the "crazy" VFTTers in the morning as they spotted cars at Pinkham.
I'm glad more were enjoying the day as was I.

Michael - I did say I was going to call Brian and I recall you saying you were done for and heading home. Oh well, next time VFTT invades the Mooseland we'll make sure you are there :)

Bob

MichaelJ said:
Hey! You said you were just going home ... if I knew there was still going to be a dinner get-together I would have gone to the Mooseland!

We missed seeing you at the Mooseland! Dinner was as much fun as the hike we had.

Great trip reports!

Well, that's why I asked you if you were going to just head home and not be interested in any dinner, which you said was true.

Ah, nevermind. I'll be seeing everybody soon enough in the ADK's. :)

SUPER! The cairn is STILL there after a few arguments with WMNF Rangers about its existence!

MOOSELAND GRILLE!

My entire family ate there at 4pm Saturday night as well! WE ALL MISSED EACH OTHER!

Michael - I'm bummed that you missed dinner at the Mooseland grill :(

Lisa and I had planned a quick bite and departure but when I got a cell signal and found Brian had left a message only minutes earlier I called him and found they were heading for the MG. We were sitting in front of a very crowded Earl of Sandwich at the time and decided we might as well head over to join them. Unfortunately I had no way of getting hold of you by this time. Sorry.

My pics are done and can be found starting HERE

Bob

Great trip reports, and pictures.
And congrats to Hikerbob on number 47.

MJ you were missed at the Mooseland.

Nice pictures, Bob!

Now I see why they took you so long to put together; you needed a router, and I don't mean the networking kind.
:)

(I knew you'd taken a picture of that stand of Indian Pipe!)

Sweet TRs Michael J and HikerBob....I liked your Pics HikerBob....especially enjoyed the fish jumping!!

Way to Go HikerBob on #47!!

Nice trip report and pictures! I thought I had it bad getting up at 4:30...I guess I have nothing to complain about after hearing how long your day was!

MichaelJ great time on making it to the summit! Sorry to have missed you at the Mooseland Grill...but there's always next time!

-MEB