Pack Covers and Gaiters in the Southwest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEske

Reaction score
My son and (and apparently myself) will be going on a 12 day trek in New Mexico(Philmont) in August. This trip came up suddenly and we haven't had the year to plan and gather gear as one would normally expect to do. Consequently I have had to take a long hard look at our gear and figure out what is most important to upgrade. Most of our trips here never exceed 2 nights, so a 12 day trip means we have to expand some of our gear, and improve other pieces. I want to be well enough equipped to have an enjoyable time, but lack the funds to just buy what we need.
We're both ok on the big three now (pack, boots, sleeping bag) and it's some of the other stuff I am looking at. We both need better rain gear. I am told in this area it can rain every afternoon, and good light raingear is needed to keep one from going hypothermic on cool evenings. And there are a few other areas that we need to improve as well, such as hats, summer layers, better outer layers, etc.
So I have had to make some choices because I can't do it all. I have a list and am trying to assign a priority to each item. Two things on my list are very hard for me to put a "value" on. So I have two questions for those with some longer trek experience, particularly in the southwest.
1) Pack Covers: DO you think a pack rain cover is necessary? I've heard strong arguments on both sides. Some say it gets used everyday, and some say just use a garbage bag. For our packs, we need X-large covers which run about $40.00, and I'd rather put that money into socks.
2) Scree gaiters: We'll be hiking in mostly dry, mostly treeless areas, with occasional forays into forested areas. Elevations range from 6,000 to 12,000 feet. I am thinking short, light gaiters might be something we would want to have to keep the pebbles and trail dust out of our boots, or is this a luxury item that won't be used too much?
3) Is there anything I might need that I am not thinking of? It has been about 20 years since I've hiked in the desert southwest, and I never really did do that much of it. I know we take a lot for granted up in the northeast, and I just want to make sure that I make the adjustment to an alternate terrain, and ease the transition for my son so he can concentrate of the beauty of the area and the vast ecological differences between the northeast and southwest that can be such wonders.

It's interesting to note that as my son has never been to this part of the country he is having a hard time believing me when I tell him he will be hiking through areas and up mountains that have no trees. I can't wait to see his reactions to the country out there.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

from limited experience

Having done a couple of 4-5 day trips out there, a few things are different:
1) thunderstorms many afternoons, yes, but generally very light rain, and evenings and mornings are just about always dry. I use a pack cover in the Northeast because I know that the chances of my stuff ever drying out if it gets wet are very low, but out there if you have an hour or 2 the next morning to dry stuff out while you're making breakfast, etc you should be fine. So I think I'd skip the pack cover.
2) I never hiked with scree gaiters till the last couple years but now I love 'em. Of course, the excuse of stopping a few times a day to get a stone out of your shoe is now gone. So I would call those very nice to have but not mandatory.
3) You probably know this, but sunglasses and one hat that is not a warm hat are key, with those thingies that cover your neck in back. And perhaps very light long pants if in rattlesnake country. And probably won't need DEET (yeah!) And water, water, water, water, water. And more water.
4) For the same reasons as 1), I'd skip the bulletproof Goretex. You are not likely to encounter prolonged heavy rain, sleet, etc, and that stuff is HEAVY. I'd check out the lightest waterproof/breathable stuff you can get. That alone will save you the most weight, probably.
5) Of course, the water you will carry will be your heaviest item, and dehydrating that is generally not useful. :)
Have a fantastic time! I can't wait till my son is old enough.
Chris

Philmont is excellent! I went in 1970, in the days of canvas tents, real wood fires and all cotton clothes. We did have one rainy afternoon where it poured cats and dogs and we got soaked, but had a great hike anyways. Another day we did a horseback ride in the rain and were not allowed to wear ponchos so as not to spook the horses. That was pretty miserable, we were all stiff from sitting in one position for 3 or 4 hours.

If you want to bring a pack cover, a big trashbag will do fine.
Scree gaiters are not necessary.
A cheap poncho would probably be fine for raingear.
We all bought cowboy hats at a local store on the busride from the airport.

Sounds like fun. Good luck.

I agree with jfb. Even on my wettest hikes, I only use garbage bags. I put the bags inside my pack, with essentials in the bags (sleeping bag/clothes). I also waterproof the outside of my pack with silcon spray (Wallmart $5). Seems like $40 for a pack cover is highway robbery. You could probably make one out of Sil-Nylon for about $15.

Oh, and for gaiters, if you dont have to worry about your legs getting all scratched, you can wear long socks, and fold them down over your laces. Keeps most of the critters out. I have been doing this all year, and found it very effective.

Other suggestions. Go as light as possible. Analyze every piece of your gear. Anything that can be dual purpose? Anything that you can get lighter for cheap? For instance. Instead of a Nalgene, Two 20oz gatorade bottles weigh 1 oz less, and carry 8 oz more water. 1 oz might not seem like much, but it ads up quickly. Make or buy one of those homemade alcohol stoves. At 3 oz, they can save you 1lb over a similar MSR setup 1 LB!!! Consider dehydrating some of your food (if you have a good supply of water where you will camp). Check out some of the ultralight backpacking sights around, they can turn a 12 day drudgery into a pleasant walk.

Hope you have a great time!

-percious

Tom,

Having lived and hiked in both the Northeast and now the Southwest, and having done a 10 day trip at Philmont a few years back, let me chime in:

Since most trips to Philmont are summertime affairs, you have to be prepared for the monsoon season of the southwest. From early July until early Sept, expect HEAVY thunderstorms every afternoon. So, some sort of rain protection is very helpful. And, while cheap is definitely OK, I would not want to trust my gear to a garbage bag when you are likely going to be out on a trail for 1 week plus without any chance to pick up a backup when you tear that bag on a mesquite tree or other thorny projectile. Howver, trashbags inside of the pack seems reasonable if you use an internal frame and all is covered.

Gaiters-while I wore them with pretty good regularity in the NE, I have never donned them outside of snowshoe hikes in the SW. I think the added heat of the gaiter would be more of a deterrent than the "keep crud out benefit." If you do already have a pair of shorty scree gaiters, give 'em a shot, but definitely won't need tall ones.

Other stuff: a big wide brimmed breathable hat, Blistex/chapstick (cause lips do funny things at 6000 ft+ and 9% humidity), and you DO NOT need expensive breathable/wicking clothing. In the low humidity out here, sweat-soaked shirts are virtually unheard of.

PS-I went to Philmont with BSA Troop 20 of Hurley, NY it was the greatest time of my Boy Scout career.

Dang, i posted a reply to this last night and it's nowhere to be found.

To sum up, pretty much the same as what everyone else is telling you. Except, i would consider letting your "trail dates" govern your decision on pack covers. If it's real soon, like you're out there and done before July 10th, monsoon rains probably won't have arrived, or at least not in full force yet. But if it's later, and you're high up, at least when i was there the rains were not all that light. Some were short downpours.

Definitely chapstick with serious SPF.

I've never owned a Nalgene. I always was cheap, plus saved weight by using gatorade bottles and the like. But i've had a couple of those cheap bottles crack and leak, and even though you can sort of duct tape them for repair...for a long trip in NM i would carry at least one "indestructible" Nalgene-type of bottle for sure.

Two excellent sources of info on Philmont: Selden Ball's Philmont website: w4.Ins.cornell.edu/seb/philmont.html I do not know what the w4. is, but search for it if the address is not right. Also, go to ussscouts.org and go to the tenth listserve under "email discussion groups" and sign up. Lots of good info, and highly interactive.

Find out what trek itinerary you will be on. If you are going high, perhaps as much as 11,000 feet, it can be cool in the morning and you will definitely want a warm layer (fleece jacket or vest).

I recommend a real rain suit. Ponchos do not provide enough coverage. I used some rain pants from Campmor that have full side zippers so they go on over boots really easy.

A real pack cover is recommended as you will probably hike in the rain, and use it over night to protect your pack against rain or dew. It also can serve as a personal situpon.

Get you physical now and make sure the Philmont specific health form is completely filled out, especially dates of vaccinations and doctor's signature. Get your doctor's phone number and FAX number so the Health Lodge can contact him/her to clarify or complete something.

One short sleeve tee shirt, one long sleeve shirt, one pair shorts, one long pair pants, three sets of socks, and that is about all the clothing you will need. You will carry stuff for 11 days, on average 6 miles per day, maybe more, up hill and down, and at altitudes varying from 6500 to as high as 12000+.

Train seriously. The more time you spend before you go with a loaded pack going up and down the steepest hill you can find the more you and your son will enjoy the trip. 11 days on the trail is a lot different than day trips or long weekends. You want to be in shape when you get there, although you will be in better shape when you get back to Camping Headquarters.

Email me at [email protected] if you have more questions.

I have served as an adult advisor twice, 1996 at 45 years of age, and 2002 at 51.

Thanks all for the great advice, especialy Philmont specific stuff. We'll be going in August, trek 11 which should be a liesurely 60 miles.
Interesting to note that Pitch (above) and I have a common friend, his Dad.
I appreciate the heads up on the physical also, I know they are strict, so I have scheduled a physical exam with an Army Doctor friend of mine who knows what it's all about. And I did start training as soon as it soaked in that I would probably be going. I cut out the nasty habits (giving up beer was the tough part), and started running a little bit everyday. I plan to enjoy this trip, not spend all my time recovering. I've already noticed a great improvement in my wind, which is my major concern. Fortunately, I have been hiking all through the winter and did 2 strenuous backpack weekends in April and May. I think I'll be as ready as a 49 year old can be.
Thanks again,
Tom