Pack Monadnock Via Davis and Wapack Trails 11-5-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
Pack Monadnock (Miller State Park) Via Marion Davis Trail and Wapack Trail

Started off the hike with a 1.5 hour trip towards Peterborough, NH via Route 101 West from Manchester, NH accompanied by Sunday Morning Jazz, best companion ever!! :D

I opted to do this hike as opposed to a Waumbek invitation as in doing this one, I could snooze for longer as lately, getting my Zzzzz’s is a priority!! ;)

It was a beautiful day, sunny and coolish in the 40’s but not when you're moving so I just wore a light fleece vest as cover and this was more than toasty! When I got to the trailhead (1.5 hours from Boston) it was just before 11am and though I had intended to ascend the Wapack Trail to summit Pack Monadnock (2,290’), on a whim I decided to try an adjacent trail, the Marion Davis Trail which was exactly the same distance as the Wapack, 1.4 miles, except it appeared to wind around a bit more. I'd also read that it was much less traveled so I thought I'd try this one instead. I was soooo wrong to choose it and regretted it for a long while as a group of about 10 youngsters and some adults with 3 dogs came right up behind me. They were so loud and most of the time seemed to be yelling at the dogs, for some reason? Typically, I don't mind hiking/walking along with other folks, but darn, today either I was still PMS'ing since my Greeley Ponds hike, or I don't know what because these people were really getting on my nerves with all their commotion!

The grade on this trail was easy, gradual, winding with lots of ups and downs. This trail is definitely on a slope and at times, it was pretty narrow, maybe 2-3 feet wide at most. It was very rocky, pretty dry except for a few slightly muddy areas. There were lots of leaves on the ground but non-slippery. I summited after about 1.25 hours. This peak has an auto road so I found a parking lot atop, a fire tower and a cell phone tower, out houses and picnic areas dispersed with some grills!! this is a rather large area that clearly can accommodate lots of people. There were views in pretty much all directions if you walked around and sought them including some amazing views towards Mt Monadnock! When I arrived to the summit I estimate there were probably 30 people up there but 40 minutes later, I could no longer hear voices and thought I was completely alone up there. Had lunch, took pics and relaxed and reveled in my newfound solitude!! I could actually hear my thoughts up there and I had lots to think about. :rolleyes:

Well, I decided not to continue onto the other peak, "North" Pack Monadnock as by my calculations, it was another 2.3 miles and I'd reach it around 3ish and then probably wouldn't get back to my car until around 6:30pm which meant that I'd be hiking in the dark for 1.5 hours or so. I felt uncomfortable about this as I was alone and not knowing the trails at all, well the likelihood of losing the trail in the dark or other accident was too probable for my tastes. Besides, not doing the other peak gives me an excuse to head back sometime! :D

Because I ascended via the Marion Davis trail, it was only fitting that I try the Wapack Trail to descend and so I did. Found this trail very interesting as the terrain here varied much more so than on the Davis trail: very rooty while in the trees in places while in other places, very rocky. Wetter, muddier and lots of ice patches!! Mid way down, there were large slabs of rocks, drier and much steeper than the Davis Trail. Pretty trail, I thought and descending it was pleasant except that I had to watch for the ice patches. This is the tricky time of the year where you have that sheen of snow/ice that is treacherous and traction devices are overkill! Though I was pretty much alone all the way down, I was surprised that nearly everyone passing me on the way to the summit had dogs! This must be a popular place for dog owners and dogs, for that matter, and despite the posted signs, they were almost always unleashed. Again, typically, I am unphased by dogs or their owners, as my most “favorite” people have dogs ( and you know who you are :) ), but today I was a bit ticked off to see a few seemingly charge at me only to have their nervous owners apologize and tell me that they don't bite!

All in all a nice hike to this Monadnock region!

Thanks to AMStony who sparked my curiousity a few months back when he hiked these trails and wrote a TR!

I'll post some pics later…

Best,

Last edited:
Julie:

They appeared to be closed for the season as no one was manning the booth. The lot appeared to be half full when I arrived and even when I left so there was constant traffic of visitors.

Hiker Amiga,

That little peak is one enjoyable hike! Allot of "bang for the buck". It can be done almost spur of the moment, and the wapack trail gives you a nice workout. Heading over to North Pack most definitely would have added a couple of hours to the day! Glad to see that you enjoyed the hike. :D

Thanks Tony!

amstony said:
That little peak is one enjoyable hike! Allot of "bang for the buck".

Yes, I was impressed with this peak and the hike! Plan to do the North Pack sometime soon as well from the other direction (off Mountain Road).

Thanks Tony for your prior TR write-up on it as it got me enthused to do this one! Please note that I definitely "read" your posts! :p

I did North Pack yesterday with my wife and kids (4 and 6). I actually prefer North Pack as it is often less crowded (although I'm rarely alone, unless it's raining.) A bit hazy, but the skies were blue, and the sun was shining, and the breeze was nonexistant. A nice fall day with the family.

Just to tie this in to the main thread a bit better, I find that the north peak trail (Wapack) is a wee bit longer but not quite as tall and overall is easier for the little ones. I've done the south -> north -> cliffs -> south loop before (nice). At some point I'll do the reverse (from the north).

Here are a few photos -- they are all of us on the summit, not particularly "hikey".

Tim

North and South Pack Monadnock are my favorite "quicky" hikes. If you're trying to avoid the crowds, try the Raymond trail that ascends the West Side of South Pack from a small parking spot on East Mountain Road. Another good option for less people are the Ted and Carolyn Trails on North Pack. Ted and Carolyn trails I try to do N. or S. Pack once every week or two.

I love this hike. Its not too far from me either. Plenty of nice little peaks along the wapack, most of them require a bit longer a hike than Pack but are pretty peaceful and although lacking Pack-like views are rewarding in their own way :)

I know about those trails, and now so does everybody else :eek: Not that they didn't already (OK, the audience here surely knows about them.)

Raymond, at least, is sort of self-limiting in that you can only park a few cars there. It is the easiest route to the summit of South. Carolyn and Ted extend the "quicky" hike into more of a half-day trip. Yes, they are the "road less travelled" on an otherwise well-travelled mountain. But not much-less travelled.

I think the least-travelled part is the Wapack in between peaks, actually. The families avoid that. It is a good 1/2 day trip that I used to do before I had the kiddies. It's too much for them (yet) and I've been focusing on the NH48 on "my" hiking days...

Tim

HikerAmiga said:
but today I was a bit ticked off to see a few seemingly charge at me only to have their nervous owners apologize and tell me that they don't bite!
I know what you mean Amiga. I always hike with my dog on a lead, and it annoys me when some dog comes running at us out of nowhere and I can hear the owner calling the dog from 100 yards down the trail, to no avail.

As for "The Packs", I did these two early in the summer with Dugan and Rocksnrolls from the North Pack side and had a blast. The trail from the north has a few slab sections that will challenge your quads, but the trail is very nice overall. We made the trip to the south peak and returned via the cliffs, and the traverse does take a fair amount of time. I have to go back again on a sunny day when some views can be had.

Smitty

Pictures...

I'll have to go back soon, most definitely! If anyone here has a desire to do the North Pack with me, please PM me so we can coordinate a hike there together sometime soon.

Finally, here are my pics:

Best,