Paddler Down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
When I was involved in SAR, I used to say there were three seasons when it came to water accidents – duck hunter drowning season, snowmobiler drowning season and early spring canoeist drowning season. We're about to depart the second and enter the third, so I offer this cautionary tale from a survivor in Minnesota:

Paddler Down

Thank you for the cautionary story, as the possibility of hypothermia has been on my mind. Just a few hours before I saw this thread, I had purchased my first drysuit. I could not find that the author was wearing a drysuit, so I assume that he was not. I wonder if that would have kept him warm enough so that he did not need hospitalization.

I am in the process of finishing a Wee Lassie II canoe build, and want to get it in the water as soon as the ice is no longer a factor.

If the author didn't bother wearing a life jacket in April, you can be sure that he wasn't wearing a dry suit, either. I'm not surprised that anyone would go out in a canoe on cold water in April without wearing a life jacket, but I don't understand why. It's good that this man survived his errors, but that scenario will be repeated over and over every year. I suppose that it's human nature to fool yourself into thinking "it won't happen to me", but it does happen to too many paddlers, and as the story reminds us, it happens to knowledgeable paddlers, as well as to foolish ones.

Thank you for the cautionary story, as the possibility of hypothermia has been on my mind. Just a few hours before I saw this thread, I had purchased my first drysuit. I could not find that the author was wearing a drysuit, so I assume that he was not. I wonder if that would have kept him warm enough so that he did not need hospitalization.
Back in my whitewater days we occasionally went out in an air temp >70F over very cold water. We wore wetsuits for safety in case we went in but sweltered in the heat. To keep cool, we would pour cold water down our necks or accidently on purpose "fall" into the water. The kayakers would also find excuses to practice their rolls...

But yes, a wetsuit or drysuit is a good idea when the water is cold. One can also substitute raingear over wool.

Doug

Nice story and a good reminder. Sometimes people will say how good it must be to do some of the various trips I like to do and how experienced to do such things.
Usually I reply with a little humor " sure I'm a regular genius till I make some dam fool mistake.."
Glad he pulled through sad to hear of the couple that didn't.

I remember watching a video of a famous canoeist I believe his name was Bill Mason, he's in rough water and dumps into the water and has to make a swim out of it. Later he said... you know if it hadn't of been for the video I never would of been out there in that rough stuff..and you can almost see the wheels turning in his head saying..dam fool should known better..

(perhaps not the best rendition of the story but I think that is how it went)

Last edited: