Panther Mountain Meteorite Crater in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
I have been recently studying satellite maps of the Catskills for some potential hikes. I was impressed at how clearly they show the circular, ancient meteorite (or asteroid) crater site in the Catskills: The crater theory was first proposed in the 1970s, and there is now considerable evidence:
  • A negative gravity anomaly indicating shattered rock deep beneath Panther Mountain.
  • Higher concentrations of cosmic spherules (solidified droplets of melted meteoroids) in well drillings.
  • Ten times as many fractures in the bedrock around the edge of the circular formation compared to the rest of the Catskills.
A synopsis: The meteorite impact, 375-400 million years ago, predates the Catskills. At the time the area was near sea level, part of the Catskill Delta (similar to the Mississippi Delta of today). The meteorite (half mile in diameter) created a 6 mile diameter crater centered just north of the summit of the current Panther Mountain. This was early during the Devonian age as the Catskill Delta sediments were being laid down. The flow of sand and silt continued, filling and covering the crater by several thousand feet. The sediments hardened into sandstone and shale. The layers straddling the crater rim were more susceptible to fracturing as they stressed over time and as the whole area uplifted. The more fractured rock over the rim eroded faster and became the paths of the Esopus and Woodland Valley Creeks. The crater and its rim are still buried beneath the current mountain and encircling valleys. This cracked foundation greatly affected what formed later and above it.

There is much info on internet. I have included a few references: On the TerraServer map you can click on the "Topo Map" tab, top right corner above the map. It identifies many of the features. On the circle it the Esopus Creek on the west, north, and northeast, and the Woodland Valley Creek on the east and southeast. Panther Mountain is just south of the circle center. Slide Mountain, 4180' (highest Catskill Peak) is just below/south of the circle. The Ashokan Reservoir is the large body of water in the southeast corner.

Last edited:
Interesting post Mark. I was under the impression that this was still a controversial theory, so I'm intrigued that there is now more supportive data, if not definitive "proof." As a side note, Yngvar Isachsen is the grandfather of one of my musician friends back in Albany. Yngvar continued to work at the NYS Museum until long past the normal retirement age. A man who truly found his "calling", apparently. I'm glad that he is one of the scientists studying Panther Mt.

Matt

Mark, that is quite interesting. I'm no too familiar with the Catskills, what are some of the features in the Terraserver photo? Like the large body of water, mountain peaks, etc..
Thanks Tom

On the TerraServer map you can click on the "Topo Map" tab, top right corner above the map. It identifies many of the features. On the circle it the Esopus Creek on the west, north, and northeast, and the Woodland Valley Creek on the east and southeast. Panther Mountain is just south of the circle center. Slide Mountain, 4180' (highest Catskill Peak) is just below/south of the circle. The Ashokan Reservoir is the large body of water in the southeast corner.

These theories are always controversial, and maybe never capable of being conclusively proven. But I would say the evidence has been mounting. The Panther Mountain Crater Discover Magazine, August 2000, details some of Yngvar Isachsen's research. It describes the finding of shock lamellae which are regarded as proof of a buried impact crater.

Last edited:
Robert Titus's book 'The geology of the catskills' has that small blurb as the last part of his book that I just read (while camping on East Wildcat).

Going to check out the links!

jay