Pemi Loop 411

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Hi..Rob here.... Im doing the searches and reading on the Pemi Loop...seems theres lots to take in...CW--CCW...I've yet to find anything about water, I did know water is at the Hut I believe, but where else? any links to read from.personal thoughts welcome...Im an ADK guy with little to Zero time in the Whites...

So let this Newbee Have it!!! :eek::D

thanks

There is plenty of water down low, but once you're on the ridges (Bondcliff via Bondcliff Trail, or Franconia Ridge via Osseo Tr.) the water options are quite limited. Yes, water is available at Galehead Hut, and there is also a reliable spring at the start of the path to the Garfield tent site, on the eastern slope of Garfield. There is also a spring at the Guyot campsite between Bond and Guyot, but that's down a bit of a steep side trail and therefore adds extra to an already long loop. Have a great pemi-loop!!

Plenty of water down low but you won't need that. There are 4 stream crossings on the Bondcliff trail, the top two are often dry in the heat of summer. Beyond that there's easy water at Galehead Hut and at the Garfield Ridge Campsite right next to the trail. Any other water source requires dropping significant elevation (Guyot Shelter or Liberty Springs).

I haven't been on the pemi loop for a few years but the way this summer has been so far water will be fine. The area around Garfield shelter, the trail is like hiking down a waterfall. Galehead hut is not an inconvenience to get water(right off trail) unlike Greenleaf which is a long steep trek down the mountain. Guyot is maybe .5 mile roundtrip to its water from the trail and fairly steep. I' haven't been to Liberty in very long time so I don't recall how far that is from trail. The low elevations are very abundant with water. The trail follows the river the last several miles after the Bonds and crosses many small streams descending the Bonds. Going Clockwise, you can tank up before making your big ascent. My suggestion would be carry enough to Garfield, do a final tanking up at Galehead Hut. It's not too far to Guyot shelter from Galehead so if you are in doubt do a final refill if needed there but probably not likely on all but the hottest days. Once you get past the Bonds it's a long but fairly gentle downhill that will bring you back to the low areas and sure water along the river the lasat seven miles'

As far as info best bet is to ask on here right before you decide to go, the loop is very popular and somebody on here surely has current info on part or all of the loop.