Philipp Stölzl’s "North Face" movie review

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
A new movie is about "the attempt of two German climbers, Toni Kurz (Benno Fürmann) and Andi Hinterstoisser (Florian Lukas), to scale the Eiger’s 5,900-foot near-vertical north wall, then unconquered, in mid-July 1936".

the linked review said:
At that time, climbing the north wall, called “the last problem of the Western Alps” by Alpinists, was something of an obsession for the Nazis in the weeks leading up to the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin. (The Eiger’s summit had been reached by other routes as early as 1858.) Scaling the “death wall,” as it was nicknamed, would be a perfectly timed propaganda coup.

Looks good. Should be on Netflix/DVD soon.

...and "The Wildest Dream"...

Thanks for posting this -- it looks very interesting.

Netflix does have the film available now as an option to "Save" when it's available on DVD later.

Finally, too, they have the film "The Wildest Dream" (a documentary from last year about George Mallory's attempt on Mount Everest) available to "Save," too...after months of not even having it show up in their search engine.

I saw this movie recently. It was in German with English subtitles. I thought it was an excellent movie which focuses on two climbers and their efforts to scale the North Face.

It really shows how hard and dangerous climbing was not that long ago and is very historically correct in illustrating the kind of equipment and techniques they used back then. I was impressed that people even attempted that sort of thing back in those days.

This movie looks very interesting. Gonna have to see it.

Here are the showtimes in New England/New York per their website:

2/12 - Cambridge, MA
2/26 - Hartford, Madison, New Haven, & Stamford CT
2/26 - Huntington, Kew Gardens NY
3/5 - Great Barrington, MA
3/5 - Pleasantville, NY

I can't tell if these are the opening dates, or if this is the only days in which it will be shown.

More details here: http://www.musicboxfilms.com/north-face#playdates

Last edited:
I'm going to post in "Trips and Events" for the March 19th showing in Norwalk, CT. Make it a VFTT Movie and Brews maybe.

March 19
CT Norwalk Garden Cinemas

Holey Moley - what an amazing movie. I'm not sure if I breathed once the whole second half. I just watched it last night on my little computer screen and was riveted. Netflix.

Absolute 5-stars and the best climbing movie I have ever seen.

I saw this version of the Eiger North Face 1936 tragedy at the Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH, back in March, but still think that the "Eiger Sanction" (1975) was a better flick (I think that Mike Hoover was one for the best all-time photographers and riggers for mountain films). Both films played fast and loose with the facts in the final scene, although Stolzl was a bit closer to reality. But, neither come close to Kevin Macdonald's "Touching the Void" for capturing the suspense of a mountaineering accident, in my view.

I saw this version of the Eiger North Face 1936 tragedy at the Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH, back in March, but still think that the "Eiger Sanction" (1975) was a better flick (I think that Mike Hoover was one for the best all-time photographers and riggers for mountain films). Both films played fast and loose with the facts in the final scene, although Stolzl was a bit closer to reality. But, neither come close to Kevin Macdonald's "Touching the Void" for capturing the suspense of a mountaineering accident, in my view.

I agree. There are some great German silent movies about climbing, but Eiger Sanction has incredible footage. Also an accidental fatality that mars the film somewhat.

North Face was beautiful to look at, but by the time the heroine is clambering over ice in high heels it was just too unrealistic. And I didn't like how the filmmakers decided to make up everything rather than stick to the facts. I found the first hour much more engrossing than the second.

I saw it when it came to Cambridge. If you are wondering whether to rent it or not, it is a truly, truly fine movie, and I highly encourage you to do so.

Brian

Don't miss North Face

I am a trailworker, not a climber. However, all us mountain travelers face certain risks and dynamics that are but intensified on technical climbs. As a look into the world of climbing, and as a history lesson, and as a try-to-cram-your-heart back-down-your-throat suspense thriller, this film is compelling. I would not recommend it to people with vertigo. I do not know how accurately it follows the history of this particular climb, but you might want to be top-roped just to watch it.:eek:
Creag Nan Drochaid

An outstanding film

Upon the recommendations here I picked up the film from Netflix and watched it last night. It is indeed a very intense film. You very quickly get into the subtitles and almost forget you're reading.

This is a film that really deserves to be dubbed. It will never get the widespread audience it deserves in this subtitled original version.

It's probably not recommended for little kids and others who are highly sensible. My daughter couldn't take it and walked out.

But I do highly recommend the film. Outstanding.

Upon the recommendations here I picked up the film from Netflix and watched it last night. It is indeed a very intense film. You very quickly get into the subtitles and almost forget you're reading.

This is a film that really deserves to be dubbed. It will never get the widespread audience it deserves in this subtitled original version.

It's probably not recommended for little kids and others who are highly sensible. My daughter couldn't take it and walked out.

But I do highly recommend the film. Outstanding.

I watched it again a few weeks back with the wife and she hated it. She is not into movies that don't have a "happy ending". She said it was up there with her most hated movie of all time "The Perfect Storm".

I thought both movies were awesome:D

I've been watching these recommendations in the last week...thanks for the suggestions everyone!!!

North Face was pretty gripping.

I watched Southbounders and now I'm thinking of an AT trek....oh oh. A few more AT books and I'm sure I'll be hooked.