Pictures of My Strippers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I have built 2 canoes and 2 kayaks by the stripper method over the past 2+ years. Speed measurements made with the GPS should be taken with a grain of salt and used for relative speeds only.

The first was a Guillemot L kayak, dubbed "Yorktown". She is a Nick Shade design of Guillemot Kayaks. She is about 17'9" long weighs about 50 lbs.. She is primarily western red cedar, with tiger maple shear stripe. She comfortably cruises at 4.5 mph, and I have got her up to 6.3 mph over 500' as measured on my Garmin GPS 62.
IMG_0786.JPG

The second was a Wee Lassie Canoe built with/for a friend. I purchased the forms and plans from Newfound Woodworks in Bristol, NH. She is about 11'6" and 19 lbs. She is northern white cedar hull with western red cedar bilge football and boot stripes. Black walnut gunnels and thwart with black cherry decks. She comfortably cruises at 3 mph, and we got her up to 3.5 mph over 500' as measured on my Garmin GPS 62.
IMG_0309.JPG

The next was a Wee Lassie II, named "Venus". She is about 14' long and 26 lbs. I lofted the plans from offsets in the book "Featherweight Boat Building" by "Mac" McCarthy. She is northern white cedar hull with western red cedar bilge football, decks and boot stripes. Black walnut gunnels and thwart. She comfortably cruises at 3.3 mph, and we got her up to 4 mph over 500' as measured on my Garmin GPS 62.
DSC04976.JPG

Recently launched is a Rob Macks designed "North Star" which I have named "Beluga". I purchased plans from Laughing Loon. She is about 18'5"' long and 38 lbs. fully rigged. She is northern white cedar hull with western red cedar deck. She comfortably cruises at 5.0 mph, and we got her up to 6.8 mph over 500' as measured on my Garmin GPS 62.
IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

DSC04949.JPG

The paddle depicted in the last three photos is a Greenland Style of my own design. It is of western red cedar and tiger maple blade edges.

Last edited:
WOW-
I am awed even by the sawhorses/stands in the first pic.
Very nice work- I can't believe you built those 4 in 2 years.
I love working with wood but never to that level.
BoB

Great shots, a nice hobby to have until you end up with four of them in the garage:)

Not sure if you are aware of the cable show Mountain Men, it is heavily scripted reality show, one of the recent episodes had two of the mountain men building a 'traditional American cedar canoe' . It was one of the bear mountain cedar strip canoes, they conveniently did not show the application of the 'traditional American fiberglass and resin' in the show. They did put in the fake rib detail along the gunnel strips and did a little staged fastwater for the cameras. For some reason they stripped out the hull all in one evening as if they stopped 'the strips would twist and swell up' I think I even saw some traditional cove and beaded strips.

Great shots, a nice hobby to have until you end up with four of them in the garage:)

Not sure if you are aware of the cable show Mountain Men, it is heavily scripted reality show, one of the recent episodes had two of the mountain men building a 'traditional American cedar canoe' . It was one of the bear mountain cedar strip canoes, they conveniently did not show the application of the 'traditional American fiberglass and resin' in the show. They did put in the fake rib detail along the gunnel strips and did a little staged fastwater for the cameras. For some reason they stripped out the hull all in one evening as if they stopped 'the strips would twist and swell up' I think I even saw some traditional cove and beaded strips.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! I am a traditionalist myself using a Native American oscillating tool, and Mayan microballoons!

WOW-
I am awed even by the sawhorses/stands in the first pic.
Very nice work- I can't believe you built those 4 in 2 years.
I love working with wood but never to that level.
BoB

Thank you! The sawhorses have a lot of thought into them. They will hold the strongback for the layout and stripping of the hull. Once that is completed I spin them 90 degrees and they hold cradles for stripping the deck. Flip them back 90 degrees and they hold the rotisserie for final epoxy coating and varnishing. Will provide plans in exchange for beer.