portage headaches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
No, seriously, portaging gives me a headache! First it starts in the back of my neck, a little tingling, then the back of my head starts to hurt. Is this a common problem? If it is then there must be a common remedy right? Do I need more padding on my yoke, a different yoke?

My yoke was custom made for my father in law, who does not have wide shoulders. I have wide shoulders, for a woman, and it's possible they're wider than my father in laws (although I don't dare ask to measure! :D ). Could it be that the fit of the yoke is making it pinch somewhere? The yoke is very confortable for the first 1/4 mile, then I hit about 1/2 a mile and get a headache. Any suggestions?

If I was going to guess and thats all it is. I would be concerned (about the tingling especially) you might be pinching some nerves. I would stop doing that or at least pad it (may or may not help, might even make it worse) until you either figure out what is going on or you change the "portage bar" to fit.

And as always talk to your doc and see what he thinks. He can actually examine you unlike us. ;)

Keith

cbcbd said:
To me portaging is as much fun as shaving my face with cold water and a dull blade.

To me portaging is almost as much fun as walking in the woods . . . since I bought and installed the Superior Yoke Pad. (Scroll down the page if you don't see it at first.)

Seriously, this thing is seriously comfortable. EDIT: I think it might solve a neck/headache problem, because it puts the weight onto your shoulders, not your neck. Just figure out what you're going to do with your hat before you toss the canoe up on your shoulders -- it likes to knock wide brims down on the ground at the exact wrong moment. :)

(Dry shaving is even less fun. Been there, done that, ONCE.)

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
To me portaging is almost as much fun as walking in the woods . . . since I bought and installed the Superior Yoke Pad. (Scroll down the page if you don't see it at first.)

Seriously, this thing is seriously comfortable. EDIT: I think it might solve a neck/headache problem, because it puts the weight onto your shoulders, not your neck. Just figure out what you're going to do with your hat before you toss the canoe up on your shoulders -- it likes to knock wide brims down on the ground at the exact wrong moment. :)

(Dry shaving is even less fun. Been there, done that, ONCE.)

I like portaging too. The yoke I have is contoured similar to the Superior Yoke and has a piece of ridge rest duct taped to it for padding. I guess I was hoping someone might have experienced the same headache and tingling (everyone who has carried my canoe has) and would know what part of the yoke needs adjustment. I assume that the yoke needs to be altered in some way. It's solid wood and could easily be reduced in areas. Maybe I just need more padding?

I think you might want to look at the Superior Yoke Pad as a substitute for the RidgeRest. It's not a yoke, it's a form-fitted piece of dense foam that fits one's shoulders and neck quite nicely. It's attached to your wooden yoke by an adhesive with a peel-off cover. (Anyone installing it should take care with the placement before attaching it.) When it's in place, the weight goes through the shoulders, not onto the neck, and one can walk quite comfortably for long distances.