Rain pants vs. Ski pants???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
For winter hiking, I've been using a pair of Red Ledge full-zip rain pants as a shell over my 3-season hiking pants and this has worked really well for years. The dual zippers have allowed me to reach all the pockets in my hiking pants while still having the shell mostly zipped.

Unfortunately, the crotch of these pants suffered catistrophic failure a couple years ago. Attempts to repair this with duct tape resulted in friends saying that it looked like I was wearing a giant silver maxi-pad and the duct tape pulling free of the pants and just sticking to itself resulting in what others termed my "crotchless hiking pants".

I'm looking to finally replace these and I'm wondering if rain pants are again the way to go (maybe Marmot Precip pants) or if I should be looking for non-insulated ski pants (more durable, more pockets??). I tend to run hot and do a fair amount of butt sliding so pants being not too hot, but also being durable, is important. Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

I've got a pair of the Marmot Precip pants, and they work fine. However, I was given a comparable pair from Mountain Hardware, and they have a more fitted cut and fit me much better, so those are the ones I pack.

On a slightly different tack - REI has upgraded the fabric used in their Mistral softshell pants. I was comparing those pants with their Schoeller Dryskin version they call Acme, and I found them nearly indistinguishable, except that Acme has a built-in mini-gaitor. However, the Mistral's cost $90 and the Acme's are $160.

OTH - if you're intent on a new pair of softshell's made from Schoeller Dryskin, $160 is a bargain.

No

Years ago, I abandoned the idea of hiking, snowshoeing, or skiing with waterproof breathable outer layers, and that includes pants. Simply put, under moderate activity, they do not breath adequately. Whether my Marmot Precip or Gore-tex, they have their place in my pack for rain encountered. Only worn then.

I have found nothing as comfortable as one of the Scholler material softshells as pants, over a baselayer. Breathable, stretchable, somewhat water-resistant, and far less noisy than WPB pants.

I've been super happy with the REI taku pants. They use a hardshell w/b layer along the fronts from the knee to the ankle and on the butt; the rest is nice super-stretchy uninsulated softshell stuff. It makes for a really good marriage of high water resistance, high breathability (excellent thigh vents, too), trim fit and outstanding mobility. The hardshell part is somewhat vulnerable to ski edges & other sharps, but that (and the price, $160 unless you wait for a member discount) are my only complaints.

comfort and wind barrier

Pick a pair of comfortable pants prefferably those that protect you from the wind and dry easily. For winter, they do not necessarily have to be RAIN proof but they should be large enough to allow thicker layers underneath to keep you warm. Depending on your activity and propensity to perpire you adjust your preference to breathability and go out there.

Mountain hardware conduit..appears to be bullet proof have had my pair for 8 years now bith for skiing and hiking. Not concerned about the water proof.but they are water resistant wind resistant and cold resistant just enough to be my choice for sure. Only complaint are the front pockets which tend to end up under hip belt

If the temperature is above 20 degrees, I wear middle weight synthetic underwear under an REI 100% nylon shell.

If colder, I wear middle weight synthetic underwear under a Marmot ski pant. They have a built-in mini-gaitor with hard fabric on the bottoms so that either MicroSpikes or Crampons don't tear them.

In all but the coldest, windiest or wet weather I'll go with a pair of bergoline tights under standard zip-offs and usually end up zipping the legs off and tucking them in my gaitors. In really cold, snow or other wet I'll go with a pair of Lowes Alpine hiking bibs over lighter tights.

Ski pants would be way too warm for any exertion.

Hands down the most important thing for me when selecting winter pants = 3/4 to full-length side zips. I find that they enable me to regulate my temperature far better than breathable fabric ever could, especially when I'm in the mood to go out and destroy myself on a climb.

I also lean towards pants that are waterproof, though this is only because I'm ridiculously clumsy and end up on my butt more than my snowshoes during descents...

Of course, color is an extremely important factor as well.

I hear you on the butt thing. The reason I've enjoyed rainpants is because I do a lot of butt sliding either intentionally or accidentally. Bushwacking I find more than my share of sprucetraps too. I also value the full-zips.

I hike warm/cool enough that while doing the W48 in my combination of rain pants and hiking pants I stayed dry and at a comfortable temp. No sweating and no chills. I only ever wore long underwear when it was below -10.

Basically, I'm looking for full-zip (two pulls on each side), waterproof pants that are going to hold up, have good articulation, and cost under $100.

I have Marmot Precips which I have worn in Yosemite skiing and snowshoeing. They are full zip, so easy to put on or off with boots on and easy to make big vents by zipping them down part way or up part way, depending on the weather-I usually have gaiters on, so I zip mine from the top down.

I picked mine up from a member on another forum, so they were cheap and although I haven't given them that much use, I have used them for downhill skiing as well with no real wear on them. Not sure I'd want to be sliding on them, though.

Still have the Red Ledge pants you have mentioned. What seems to have worked is that during winter that gym shorts/bergelene combo underneath those pants. I simply get too hot as it is with rain pants on. Invest in something the others have talked about and use them for backup pants. Hope that helps.

I think Red Ledge is probably still the best bet if you just want something cheap, mostly functional, and somewhat durable. And at the Red Ledge price, you don't have to care if you rip them again.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but have you considered how you would layer up your lower body in an emergency? I find this to be a big drawback to the hardshell + light layer system: you have to first remove layers in order to add layers. This just won't work well if you are injured or if you are in above-treeline conditions where even temporarily removing a wind layer is unsafe.

From about 25 or so down to near zero I'll wear a base layer & hiking pants. At the warmer side, with zip off legs,less of an issue on colder days.

Near zero I have a pair of insulated hiking pants. If cold but no above treeline expsoure I may wear the full zip fleece pants but often them & the G-Tex pants full zip stay in the pack.

With gaitors we're talking about 12-18" of cold legs in a decent wind, below the jacket & above the gaitors. I'm just never that cold there. If I'm digging for wind protection for my legs there, I shold be completely covered above the waist & really ought to be thinking about going down, not up. (figure I'm talking conidtions that tmight be 50+ MPH & a windchill below -30 - not necesary the same day, I'd do 50 MPH on a 30 degree day but likely not 30 MPH on a minus 10 day)

Honestly can only think of once or twice I've actually worn the G-Tex pants. Still carry in case or ER. Most winter days if you get precip, it's snow & it brushes off. If it is raining, then you need rain pants & it's going to be a real mess.

Last edited: