Rental listings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
I was wondering if it might be possible to do a rental listings spreadsheet on this forum and make a sticky out of it? :D I love to kayak but don't own a boat..... don''t have the space for one in my small apt. either. :(

I would love to be able to cross reference kayak rental and shuttle options in the different parts of the Northeast..... what does everyone else think of this?

I think it would be useful, but first I would try to make sure you're not reinventing the wheel. Use google, check ACA, check the internet, see if there is something like this out there first... I can add some places near the Hudson that rent boats and stuff.

Jay

rental listings

There is also allot of information on places to rent and other items in the AMC guide for hiking the Mass. coast, but this would be a good idea to have available. I also don't own a kayak, and will not for some time.

I paddle several times a year, some flatwater, some sea, some tandem, some solo, some day trips, some overnight. I would need 120 kayaks to fulfill every permutation! :eek: Meanwhile, I rent or occasional benefit from a loaner. It is an inconvenience, and it add$ up, but it's still probably cheaper than buying the kind of boat I've learned best suits my needs. In the end when I can spend more time at it I'll probably get a tandem and two solos, one for luring a friend along.

ff, let us know where you'd like to paddle and you'll probably get more info on rentals, routes etc.

Stan, I remember when you used to show up at every Gathering in a rental car because you couldn't commit to buying a car. Why should a kayak be any different for you? :D

FF - the problem with compiling a list is that it gets old quick and always needs updating. I have known several kayak shops that have gone out fo business within a year or two. You are probably best off asking about a specific area close to the timeframe you are going.

Plus if you ask about a specific area, chances are we have a member in the area who might have an extra boat and is looking for a partner. ;)

- darren

Funk, up here in NP Peak Performance rents 'yaks and also EMS across the river in Poughkeepsie. This Old Town canoe my dad gave me is also a tandem if you ever want to go out in that w/ me. Basha Kill down in Sullivan County
is high on my to-do list.

Matt

I looked into rentals before buying a kayak and fund that unless you could prove a level of skill most of the places were very reluctant to do so. There is EMS n Portland that doesn't seem uptight in this regard and an outfitter based in Long Beach, LI that is apparently the same way (Eagle Kayaks or something, I forget). ADK outfitters may also be more accepting, but will likely be looking to rent out canoes.

I'll likely have two boats in the boathouse about a half a dozen blocks from where you live within the next few weeks, if you want to get on the water, with some notice, it should be manageable though wet suit weather is approaching...

Warren said:
I'll likely have two boats in the boathouse about a half a dozen blocks from where you live within the next few weeks, if you want to get on the water, with some notice, it should be manageable though wet suit weather is approaching...

Thanks, Warren! I'll give you a call when I get back next week.

mcorsar said:
Funk, up here in NP Peak Performance rents 'yaks and also EMS across the river in Poughkeepsie. This Old Town canoe my dad gave me is also a tandem if you ever want to go out in that w/ me. Basha Kill down in Sullivan County is high on my to-do list.

Thanks, Matt! It would be fun to canoe. I've never been to the Basha Kill, would like to check out the Hudson, Wallkill, etc. :)