Return to winter 12/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Around noon up in Gorham there is about 3" of snow. The consistency is closer to sleet than snow. it doesn't pack at all and the wind is whipping it around. It sure doesn't look like it would be much of a base for anything, probably just enough to hide the ice patches, roots and rocks. It definitely does look like winter.

I do get a chuckle over the designation by WMUR of a "major winter storm. Kind of embarrassing that folks in NH aren't used to snow.

I do get a chuckle over the designation by WMUR of a "major winter storm. Kind of embarrassing that folks in NH aren't used to snow.

Closer to 6" down here, and it's wet, slippery, HEAVY, and compacted. People are sliding all over. Definitely worse for travel than a similar depth of pow, and being the first storm of the season I expect people to be a bit underprepared, physically and mentally.

3-4 inches here in Southern Vermont. Roads are TERRIBLE.
Agree with Peakbagger though - wake me up when we get over 12" - that's a MAJOR winter storm!

about 5" on the trails of Waumbek and Cabot today. Broke trail alone all day on both (Bunnell Notch and Starr King) Consistency was the same up there, it did not compact or stick. Not quite enough for snowshoes but micros didnt do much on it either. Where it covered patches of ice it was very slippery even with the spikes.
Good to see winter settling in though!

about 5" on the trails of Waumbek and Cabot today. Broke trail alone all day on both (Bunnell Notch and Starr King) Consistency was the same up there, it did not compact or stick. Not quite enough for snowshoes but micros didnt do much on it either. Where it covered patches of ice it was very slippery even with the spikes.
Good to see winter settling in though!

Thanks for the update!

It lightly snowed until 11PM at my house in Windham Maine - total on the ground this morning in my estimation: 8 inches.

Did Pemi really only get 5 inches of new snow ?

Gotta check the snowstake report at Zealand today when they post it.

Did Pemi really only get 5 inches of new snow ?

Gotta check the snowstake report at Zealand today when they post it.

Has anyone heard about the Pemi (specifically route to Bonds) yet? Im hoping to thru hike to Hale and out this weekend. Is there any snow in there around Lincoln Woods?

Nice to be out in winter hiking the last few days. I got to try out the microspikes on the summit cone of Cardigan on Friday as both had a fairly consistent ice layer and got to play in the snow a bit between Jackson and Webster, only thing I missed were the typical Gray Jays. I actually needed to fire off some hand warmers at one point. Looked like loads of others were out playing this past weekend especially around Crawford Notch. Contrary to the forecast it was pretty nasty in the northern presis until today (sunday) and when I looked at the summit of Madison from my office, it never seems to really clear for any extended period despite blue sky shining up Pinkham notch.