RIP Leon Gorman

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/03/l-l-bean-magnate-leon-gorman-dies/

I expect everyone at some point in their outdoor career has purchased LL Bean gear and if it were not for Leon that option may not have been available. When he took over the business, it was struggling as it hadn't switched over to "modern" times. Leon kept the image of the business but expanded it to keep with current trends. And of course he kept the guarantee in place. The other major accomplishment which is invisible to many is that he kept the business local and the firm treated the employees, even seasonal help and suppliers with respect. I know many folks who worked seasonally for the firm for many years as it was a great place to work and that seasonal work contributed to many parents being able to contribute to their children's education. Leon was very active in making significant donations to the Maine Huts and Trail system and I expect without his donations, the MHT cabin system wouldn't exist. He also contributed to AMC for key capital improvements in the 100 mile wilderness facilities.

As for the gear, generally it is not the latest and greatest state of the art but generally pretty darn close and if on rare occasions it was defective or unsatisfactory the company did honor the guarantee.

The Freeport store closed its doors for the third time in history on Sunday morning to allow employees to attend the funeral

The more I shop at LLBean the more I like them. Mr. Gorman inspired some core values at the "office" as well as privately that are worthy of emulation as is his philanthropical legacy.