Selfish egomaniacs destroy fragile habitat on Katahdin.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
Selfish idiots destroy rare plants on Katahdin.
A few days ago two morons parasailed off the Tableland. They laid out big tarps (so their chutes wouldn't snag) and dragged them across fragile plants and nesting areas for Bicknell's Thrush well off the marked trail. They then cleared brush for a runway, amd hollered at hikers back on the trail to haul their crap back down for them, and jumped.
They landed in a boggy area near a pond about twenty minutes later, alive.
Late that afternoon they showed up back at the campground, bragging about their stunt and looking to see if anyone had hauled down their gear from the Tableland. They had left their vehicle parked at a lean-to, the people who had reserved the lean-to were more than a little annoyed. The parasailing selfish yahoos managed to slip out of the Park before just before Rangers could confront them.

TJ aka Teej said:
A few days ago two morons parasailed off the Tableland. They laid out big tarps (so their chutes wouldn't snag) and dragged them across fragile plants and nesting areas for Bicknell's Thrush well off the marked trail. They then cleared brush for a runway, amd hollered at hikers back on the trail to haul their crap back down for them, and jumped.
Late that afternoon they showed up back at the campground, bragging about their stunt and looking to see if anyone had hauled down their gear from the Tableland. They had left their vehicle parked at a lean-to, the people who had reserved the lean-to were more than a little annoyed. The parasailing selfish yahoos managed to slip out of the Park before just before Rangers could confront them.
Why were the onlookers such cowards? if people cared so much they woulda stopped these morons. I'm sure a bunch of hikers coulda overcome two yahoos. Serious -- beat the hell out of them if you care. I would have.

Americans are cowards.

-Dr. Wu

Ok, question (and I am serious here). I thought ALL routes into Katahdin are supervised by park staff? I read that getting into the Park can be a real bitch because the staff goes through great lengths to keep those unprepared off the mountain. So, if this is so, how did the park staff manage to miss these guys carrying a TON more gear than any average experienced hiker (let alone parasails!)???

Brian

dr_wu002 said:
Why were the onlookers such cowards? if people cared so much they woulda stopped these morons. I'm sure a bunch of hikers coulda overcome two yahoos. Serious -- beat the hell out of them if you care. I would have.

Americans are cowards.

-Dr. Wu

I'm not trying to start a political rank, but it does bring up a good thread - what would happen if the onlookers did in fact beak the crap out of these idiots? My guess is the onlookers would face much worse penalties, whereas the idiots would get a slap on the wrist. It is a pretty sad statement, in that one cannot stand up for what's right nowadays without getting penalized.

Pls lets keep the discussion rational. What happened would make anyone angry, but violence doesn't solve anything. I'd ask contributors to the thread to keep that in mind.

Thanks

rocket21 said:
I'm not trying to start a political rank, but it does bring up a good thread - what would happen if the onlookers did in fact beak the crap out of these idiots? My guess is the onlookers would face much worse penalties, whereas the idiots would get a slap on the wrist. It is a pretty sad statement, in that one cannot stand up for what's right nowadays without getting penalized.
Ok, maybe not beat 'em up. But if nobody stops them, what's going to stop more people from going up and walking around up there and para-sailing off? The rangers? They weren't able to this time. Probably don't have the resources to chase around every moron. But if people were willing to be a little more vigilant these days, then maybe the point would get across more effectively. Don't mess with Katahdin, right?

Hopefully nobody gave them their packs back. I woulda hiked them out and then right in my car.

It would have been funny too if they sailed away on their stupid para-sails, and then a bear ate 'em when they landed!

But as it goes now, those dudes did what they did, nobody stopped them, and there gonna go home and bring some more goons to do it again next time. Pretty soon they'll have guided tours up there. The common man has to act if he/she wants to stop crap like this. That's all I'm saying.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
Ok, maybe not beat 'em up. But if nobody stops them, what's going to stop more people from going up and walking around up there and para-sailing off? The rangers? They weren't able to this time. Probably don't have the resources to chase around every moron. But if people were willing to be a little more vigilant these days, then maybe the point would get across more effectively. Don't mess with Katahdin, right?

Hopefully nobody gave them their packs back. I woulda hiked them out and then right in my car.

It would have been funny too if they sailed away on their stupid para-sails, and then a bear ate 'em when they landed!

-Dr. Wu

Ya, its too bad because a lot of people sit behind the whole legal curtain. It is too bad nothing was done, but all I was saying is that its sad that society is at the point in which those trying to enforce laws and morals are the ones who get penalized in the end.

There's an old saying.

You can't outrun a police radio.

Get their license plate number. In the pokey they go.

Welcome to the oughts, we're my freedoms are better than yours. And the defenseless too often lose out. It's too bad, most BASE jumpers are a little crazy and selfish, but rarely leave a trace of their passage.

I agree with PB. If you confront, who knows what can of worms you may open up? Just get a plate number, hand it over to the police and sign your witness statement. You'll have done your job. Too bad someone didn't "borrow" their distributor cap ...

And in the karmic way of things ... I'm sure they'll get theirs in the end.

Troll Alert!

This post is so lacking in specifics that we can't really say if any one parasailed off the table land or not.

Where on the tableland would you need to "clear brush" for a runway?
What campground did they park their vehicle at?
What marked trail were they near when they dragged the tarp?
What pond did they land near?

And it is interesting that they left the park "just before the rangers could confront them", and that no one seems to know what kind of vehicle they had or what happened to their gear.

Given that there is actually no factual information in the post, my guess is that this event never happened. Please provide some facts when you post this type of thing.

TJ aka Teej said:

NewHampshire said:
Ok, question (and I am serious here). I thought ALL routes into Katahdin are supervised by park staff? I read that getting into the Park can be a real bitch because the staff goes through great lengths to keep those unprepared off the mountain. So, if this is so, how did the park staff manage to miss these guys carrying a TON more gear than any average experienced hiker (let alone parasails!)???

Brian
The campground they climbed out of was Katahdin Stream, staffed by one Ranger. He has many more responsibilities than to stand at the trailhead 24/7 and frisk hikers. The jerks signed out at the trailhead at 2AM, under 'trail up' they wrote 'Hunt', under 'trail down' they wrote 'Air'. To the best of my knowledge the Ranger doesn't check the Trailhead register until 7AMish when he posts the Class day and weather report. Park staff can't be faulted for "missing" these guys, in my opinion.

Pig Pen said:
Troll Alert!
>snip<
Given that there is actually no factual information in the post, my guess is that this event never happened.

Thanks for the trust, Pig Pen.

If the people who were there and are witnesses want to get involved they could search the internet for Trip Reports from these people and then refer the matter to the Maine authorities.

If they really did this, I'll bet they will want to tell the world.

TJ aka Teej said:
Thanks for the trust, Pig Pen.

What am I supposed to think when your original post contains absolutely no concrete information? Thanks for providing something at least.

This may not be over. The authorities in Maine are very serious about protecting that Park. Also, I'm sure, as soon as the word gets out, the Park authorities may have a little egg on their face.

Whoever did this will obviously be crowing about it to anyone and everyone who will listen. If the names get to the Park Authority they will be charged and hopefully heavily fined.

BSP is so special not only because of the way its managed but because of the way the vast majority of the visitors treat it with care. This is only my opinion, but if this is true, not enough bad things can happen to these guys (or girls.)

SkierSteve said:
but if this is true, not enough bad things can happen to these guys (or girls.)

Um, for parasailing off Mt. Katahdin? Who is the victim of this alleged horrible crime? How do these scofflaws compare to people like maybe the ones who vandalize cars at trailheads? You know, crimes that actually have victims.

PS, I still need more info to be convinced that this actually happened. I'm not saying it didn't, I'm saying that I still don't know enough to say that it did.

I always carry a camera with me when I hike. When I got into Baxter you better believe I would have one. My point is if I saw someone doing all that off trail I would have snapped wuite a few pictures which could now be used by authorities.

SkierSteve said:
This may not be over. The authorities in Maine are very serious about protecting that Park. Also, I'm sure, as soon as the word gets out, the Park authorities may have a little egg on their face.

Whoever did this will obviously be crowing about it to anyone and everyone who will listen. If the names get to the Park Authority they will be charged and hopefully heavily fined.

BSP is so special not only because of the way its managed but because of the way the vast majority of the visitors treat it with care. This is only my opinion, but if this is true, not enough bad things can happen to these guys (or girls.)
Nice Post! This is true for Baxter so I have to say, the proper authorities should be notified etc. But people have to be vigilant about this -- perhaps BSP doesn't need the added pressure but the public at large making a collective statement says something to others who ordinarily would have kept quiet. We need to be more noisy about these things.

-Dr. Wu