Shining Rock in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Just read a post on Falling Waters to Little Haystack on the Trail Conditions page, and read:
We stopped on the way down to shining rock (had to break trail) and were treated to acres and acres of solid frozen ice, warm sun, little wind. What an amzing sight in winter and a great spot for hot cocoa and chai.
Am I the only person who has never stopped there? It certainly sounds very attractive. Maybe next time?

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Am I the only person who has never stopped there? It certainly sounds very attractive. Maybe next time?

Yes, after extensive research and countless interviews, we have definitively concluded that you are, in fact, the only person who has never been there in the winter.

Well, you and my mother... But in all honesty, she doesn't get out much in the winter so it's not really fair to include her.

Mohamed, I, too, have not been. Why? I'm not sure.

You have been there in summer, right? Spring is when I find it at its best. You can occasionally see blue sky and white clouds reflected in the flowing curtain of water.

Shining Rock is also called the flying goose by Franconia residents. Take a look at it from Franconia sometime and sure enough it looks like a goose with its neck stretched out in flight and its wings on the downbeat.

Some of us "older timers" may remember when the Falling Waters Trail used to pass right along the base of Shining Rock back in the 1970s. I don't recall when the side trail change was made (David Metsky : "It's just a tenth of a mile, .... extra distance").

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Just read a post on Falling Waters to Little Haystack on the Trail Conditions page, and read:Am I the only person who has never stopped there? It certainly sounds very attractive. Maybe next time?

Mohamed - I didn't think my little post would generate that much interest :eek: but to be honest, that was my first time there too. We weren't able to cross the ridge that day but it was a nice bonus seeing all that slope and ice.

RichC - Do you know where you can see it in Franconia? I would've thought the angle was to0 sharp to see that far. I'll have to ask some friends in Franconia if they've heard that name used for it as well.

-mark