Simple Parking Pass Question - No debate please...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Just a question on WMNF parking pass and a request for no debate on the validity of parking fees...

Any news on whether fee tubes will be covered through the winter? If not I'll be picking up a new parking pass.

Thanks.

Not sure how solid it is but they are proposing an increase to $30 from $20 in near future so it may be worth it to "suck it up" for a few weeks that might have been free and get the pass now. It is good 12 months from date of purchase. I'm sure they'll be anxious to get the fee revenue stream rolling soon so I can't imagine it would be more than a few weeks before the tubes are back up and running.

Link on passes and other related info: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5281515

Are there even that many places anymore that require a parking pass? Beaver Brook, I think it is, on the road to Twin Mountain has a sign, but that’s not really a trail head, unless people park there during the winter when Gale River Road is closed.

Crawford and 9 Mile have stations. Often covered but not always. Hence the question.

..and DayTrip - the price change thing has been around for a year or two if I recall.

...http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5297292. Not sure if that has always been the case because most people advise getting at a ranger station.

If you're planning to visit other USFS jurisdictions or national parks, read the bottom of the above web page and follow the links as necessary. It may be cost-effective to buy the appropriate pass which will cover all the jurisdictions/National Parks/whatever for one fee rather than pay entrance fees each time.

And as a reminder - some of the trailheads in NH are within state or local jurisdiction, and not subject to the federal fee systems. Lafayette Place is perhaps the most frequently used non-federal jurisdiction. Also - the COG railroad maintains a hiker parking lot, so using theirs rather than the USFS lot a mile down the hill will save you $$.

Last edited:
Also - the COG railroad maintains a hiker parking lot, so using theirs rather than the USFS lot a mile down the hill will save you $$.
They seem to charge you 5 bucks dependant on the phases of the moon. I have gone sometimes and ben charged, others no.

Note the original question. I've ben using the yearly pass for quite some time and seeing fee tubes covered as I park..

Any news on whether fee tubes will be covered through the winter? If not I'll be picking up a new parking pass.

I went to the Pemi District Office on friday to get my new pass. (old one expired during shut down)

Tubes are open, parking lots are being checked.

I had cars at Sabbaday falls and Oliverian Brook yesterday for a Tripyramids-Whiteface Passaconaway loop and was told that without the pass there would be a strong possibility of getting a ticket or a warning. Of course these are high visibility locations.

At this juncture it's still $25 for two.

Note the original question. I've ben using the yearly pass for quite some time and seeing fee tubes covered as I park..

Some fee tubes are covered during the winter because it's more trouble to keep them cleared out than the revenue warrants. Others are kept open all winter particularly at major trailheads. You could ask the FS about trailheads you expect to visit. And note that Nov. 9-11 is free anyway.

I cannot remember *EVER* seeing a fee tube *NOT* taped/covered in winter at any of the lots that usually charge... I might be forgetting something, tho. Since they generally don't have the rest rooms open in winter (except for Lincoln Woods), I think they cannot charge.

I cannot remember *EVER* seeing a fee tube *NOT* taped/covered in winter at any of the lots that usually charge... I might be forgetting something, tho. Since they generally don't have the rest rooms open in winter (except for Lincoln Woods), I think they cannot charge.
Ditto. My experience also in winter.I have never seen any car who had to park in the road get charged at 19 mile trailhead at any time of year.Not to say it has never happened.....

It's only $20 or $12.50 ea if you buy two. Only a fraction of what it costs to get to the trailhead. I prefer to just buy one and not worry about the parking. Although with the everchanging fee/no fee areas I have often thought of tracking it for a year to see if the pass is worth it. I'll just have to remember to keep some $1s in the glove box.;)

Hancock lot on the KAnc was not covered last winter. So some are left uncovered.

I just buy the pass to support the national forest. I don't think I parked in a fee lot all summer and since lots are free all winter I guess I just donated $20. Oh well.

I've seen Lincoln Woods charging during winter. (It was a while ago--I don't know their more recent policies.)

Doug

I'm pretty sure the Crawford Connector lot is not covered in winter. I always buy the pass so I never notice but a group of us did Pierce last winter and one of the guys asked me if I had 3 ones for the parking. I gave it to him so he either had to pay, or I got ripped off. :cool:

I'm pretty sure the Crawford Connector lot is not covered in winter. I always buy the pass so I never notice but a group of us did Pierce last winter and one of the guys asked me if I had 3 ones for the parking. I gave it to him so he either had to pay, or I got ripped off. :cool:

I think you're right. Am quite sure the toilets there are locked in winter, and as Becca points out - the USFS isn't supposed to collect fees unless they provide toilets (and a few other amenities).

Lincoln Woods keeps the toilets open in winter, as they're heated. Personally, I have a geezer pass taped to my windshield, and the people I hike with are frequent WMNF hikers and so checking for parking passes is rarely an issue prior to a hike. Even though I use Lincoln Woods several times a winter, I've never really noticed what the general public is doing - mostly focused on getting on/off the trail. After this thread I'll try to be more observant.