Sled/Polk Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry P

Reaction score
After decades of winter camping with a pack on my back, I've started playing with a polk. Have done a couple of trips on groomed trails in last couple of years but am a bit sick of not being on untracked snow. As those of you with no sled experience would assume, the terrain is limited to rolling hills and consolidated snow that works well with that sort of gear. I'm looking for suggestions for backcountry trails that would be a good fit. I've skied the Pemi in NH and that could work. Mabey stretches of the 10o Mile Wilderness in Maine. Was thinking that canoe trails in Adirondacks could be perfect as long as portages are none too steep. Am hoping to do this trip on x country skis as opposed to snowshoes which realistically limits the terrain even further.

After decades of winter camping with a pack on my back, I've started playing with a polk. Have done a couple of trips on groomed trails in last couple of years but am a bit sick of not being on untracked snow. As those of you with no sled experience would assume, the terrain is limited to rolling hills and consolidated snow that works well with that sort of gear. I'm looking for suggestions for backcountry trails that would be a good fit. I've skied the Pemi in NH and that could work. Mabey stretches of the 10o Mile Wilderness in Maine. Was thinking that canoe trails in Adirondacks could be perfect as long as portages are none too steep. Am hoping to do this trip on x country skis as opposed to snowshoes which realistically limits the terrain even further.

I don't think they are practical in NH, but many use them to get into basecamps in Baxter.

After decades of winter camping with a pack on my back, I've started playing with a polk. Have done a couple of trips on groomed trails in last couple of years but am a bit sick of not being on untracked snow...

The "untracked" part is I think the deal breaker here in New England. Hard to find any good trails that are not tracked by some form of conveyance.

Sleds are pulled extensively in Baxter Park in Winter. But terrain is mostly snow covered roads, broken out trails and the occasional untracked section.

If you can deal with that, the trip from Matagamon Gate in the north to Abol Bridge in the south is a wonderful ski when snow is abundant. It's flat or rolling terrain most of the way and includes some very remote sections around Poggy Notch and Russell Pond, and a river crossing that can be a challenge in a thaw. Around 50 miles in all and a car spot is necessary.

Usually four-five days to complete. Heated cabins, lean-tos or tenting are all options.

Last edited:
One of inactive members had good things to say about Katahdin Woods and Waters. No snowmobiles and free cabins with firewood. Many of the trails in the Caribou Speckled Moutain Wilderness on the east side are old logging roads that barely get any use in the summer and probably would be well suited for pulk trips.

Last edited:
You might consider the Cohos trail north of route 110 in Stark. Pretty remote and not very rugged. You could probably go all the way to Dixville Notch.

I've used a pulk to the Three Ponds area, basecamping in the Pemi and Wild River Wildernesses/19-Mile Brook trail, Flat Mountain Pond area, and hauled one close to the summit of Roger's Ledge. I could see Crawford's Path as it's fairly wide and comparatively straight.

You might consider the Cohos trail north of route 110 in Stark. Pretty remote and not very rugged. You could probably go all the way to Dixville Notch.

Ill informed question here as I don't recognize any of these names. What state and general area are you talking? Thanks much for the input.

Last edited:
The "untracked" part is I think the deal breaker here in New England. Hard to find any good trails that are not tracked by some form of conveyance.

Sleds are pulled extensively in Baxter Park in Winter. But terrain is mostly snow covered roads, broken out trails and the occasional untracked section.

If you can deal with that, the trip from Matagamon Gate in the north to Abol Bridge in the south is a wonderful ski when snow is abundant. It's flat or rolling terrain most of the way and includes some very remote sections around Poggy Notch and Russell Pond, and a river crossing that can be a challenge in a thaw. Around 50 miles in all and a car spot is necessary.
Usually four-five days to complete. Heated cabins, lean-tos or tenting are all options.

You are spot on. A lot of accessible rolling terrain trails are popular with day travelers or snowmobile roots both of which would take away from the backcountry experience. A few great ideas in these responses for sure.
Baxter has always seemed like a solid potential. Have been a bit turned off by having to take a ranger's filtration test that I understand is a prerequisite. From what I've heard, the scenery makes it worth it. I don't mind doing some mileage on snow covered roadways but, again, got to weigh pulk-ability vs pristine wilderness feel.
Thanks for the suggestion.

…. Have been a bit turned off by having to take a ranger's filtration test that I understand is a prerequisite…..

I think the personal interview is no longer a requirement for Winter Baxter fun, with the possible exception of above tree line travel out of Chimney Pond.

When I did the ski traverse 10 years ago we did not see a ranger until day four when we pulled into Roaring Brook, and then just in passing.

Regulation is much relaxed compared to the Buzz Caverly era.

The ironic thing about this question is not that there aren't trails, but rather there are tons of them--they are just almost all used by snow mobiles. Otherwise, the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail would be perfect for your needs.

The ironic thing about this question is not that there aren't trails, but rather there are tons of them--they are just almost all used by snow mobiles. Otherwise, the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail would be perfect for your needs.

Some trails are designed and maintained for specific use.

Pulks that are built on ski-like runners work well on packed trails.

Pulks that are built with on a flat toboggan-like shell work well in unconsolidated snow.

I found controlling them on descents was (for me) the limiting factor. I only used them in conjunction with Nordic backcountry gear.

Any of the old rail bed and most of the mixed use snow machine trails in the Pemi would be good. Generally, stick to river side trails and logging roads.

I found controlling them on descents was (for me) the limiting factor. I only used them in conjunction with Nordic backcountry gear. .

The OP described his braking system for his pulk for downhills which sounded pretty bomber. I have also employed the technique in shorter steeper sections where you put the pulk in front and then snowplow or wedge your skis behind it.

If ice conditions are safe, are there any large lakes to traverse and set up for a LNT over night?

Not a lot of large lakes in the WMNF proper but plenty of routes can incorporate a traverse of some length. I did a hot tent trip on Elbow Pond a couple years back. The old stuff in the woods is pretty neat but the same thing exists there as with most other places; the best pulk routes are also snowmobile trails. They generally aren't out at night but they sure are a curious bunch.

I'm not sure of the winter parking situation, but Mountain Pond could be an option with a road walk to make it a day. Pond of Safety would fall into the same category. Hall Ponds, too.

Flat Mountain Pond from Bennet St is probably doable.

Black Pond has a 200 foot rule.

The problem with large lakes is snowmobile traffic outside of the national forest.

Some coworkers from Berlin were out on a lake in NY ice fishing in bob house they were staying in overnight. There were snowmobiles tearing around the lake all night. At some point they heard one of them coming awfully close in their direction. Next thing they knew they heard a loud crash. The snowmobile had run into their truck at full speed. The driver was dead and this was pre cell phone so they had to drive to the nearest payphone to report the wreck. If the conditions are right from about Thursday night to Sunday don't plan on peace and quiet on most lakes that have road access.

The OP described his braking system for his pulk for downhills which sounded pretty bomber. I have also employed the technique in shorter steeper sections where you put the pulk in front and then snowplow or wedge your skis behind it.

I'm not seeing that. Post number?