Sleeping Bag For "Shoulder Season"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... is the manufacturer's supplied stuff sack too small? Are they trying to ruin your bag to get you to buy a new one? I mean I have used mine once, compressed it with the stuff sack for the trip in and the trip out and both cases it was on a sled and didn't really need to be compressed at all.

Tim

I have very costly (about $750 in 1999) Marmot cold weather bag I keep in an oversize stuff sack (laundry bag). It takes up some serious volume in a pack if not compressed. It's a Gore Dry-Loft shell and beside the crackling noise it's it pretty awesome for the very cold nights. Nothing like a little condensation frozen on your bag and no affect on warmth. I have an REI 20 or 30 (can't exactly remember and the label doesn't say) synthetic bag that has been treated like a prostitute in church (hehe)! and is about 1995 vintage. Great bag. Also stored in oversize stuff sack (laundry bag) since bought. A lot of times I use a silk liner bag and I do wash my bags in front loader with a DWR solution (usually NikWak brand) to keep any dirt from harming them.

So... is the manufacturer's supplied stuff sack too small? Are they trying to ruin your bag to get you to buy a new one?

I assume that using the stuff sack they supplied will not damage the insulation, as long as I don't store the bag in that sack. They did provide a large cotton bag for storage. However, I found it very difficult to stuff my bag in that sack when wearing mittens, and I decided it is easier to first stuff the sleeping bag in an oversize compression stuff sack then pull on the straps to compress to a size that fits nicely in the sleeping bag compartment of my winter pack. I do the same thing with my down jacket.

So... is the manufacturer's supplied stuff sack too small? Are they trying to ruin your bag to get you to buy a new one? I mean I have used mine once, compressed it with the stuff sack for the trip in and the trip out and both cases it was on a sled and didn't really need to be compressed at all.

Tim

Received my Hyperlamina today and I thought it was worth noting that it shipped in the mesh storage sack, not the stuff sack. Very roomy and didn't seem to be compressing sleeping bag much. And the included stuff sack is a compression sack and is REALLY SMALL. I'll be very interested to see how hard it is to jam in there. I know the bag that came with my Marmot Nano 55 is extremely difficult to get the bag into. (Once inside it is about the size of a 1L Nalgene bottle).

My Lamina Z is not too difficult to stuff into the compression sack. I have no intention of ever storing it compressed. I'm more interested in experience that suggests compressing it at all is a bad thing with respect to its life expectancy.

Tim

I don't backpack anymore, but used too. I had a synthetic bag rated for -35 that I bought from someone after one trip to Denali. This bag was huge, I had to use a 3 strap compression sack to get it in my pack. I used this bag for about ten years, using that compression sack and storing it hanging in my basement. It never lossed any of the qualities it had when I first got it, after all that time. I have heard that down is more fragile in regards to compressing, but I have no experience with down.

I have heard that down is more fragile in regards to compressing, but I have no experience with down.
My understanding is that down will generally outlast synthetic fills. (Assuming both are treated properly.)
From https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-bag.html
Goose-Down Insulation
Offered in some camping bags, it provides a more durable and compressible alternative to synthetic fill but features a slightly higher pricetag.

While I don't know if compression stuff sacks will shorten the life of a sleeping bag, I have always erred on the side of caution and have never used them.

BTW, it is easier to stuff a bag if you line the stuff sack with a plastic bag. The smooth surface allows the bag to slide in more easily. And, of course, the plastic bag protects the sleeping bag from moisture.

Doug

Last edited:
My Lamina Z is not too difficult to stuff into the compression sack. I have no intention of ever storing it compressed. I'm more interested in experience that suggests compressing it at all is a bad thing with respect to its life expectancy.

Tim

You seem to be doing everything that can be done to prolong the life of your bag. If the insulation degrades over time, it would be slow and the bag would still (probably) be useful for your needs.

Here's an interesting link: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/the-truth-about-sleeping-bags