Sleeping Bag Liners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Anyone have any experience with specific types of sleeping bag liners? Any favorites? Seems like there's some variety out there as to materials, brands, etc. I'm thinking of something versatile, that could be used to add insulation to another bag, but which could also be used as a lightweight warm weather bag itself. I did try a search-there are old threads on sleeping bags which mention liners, but none I could see which really discuss liners in depth.

Matt

Sleep Bag Liners

I have a fleece liner sold by Campmor, it serves my purpose. Have used it in the huts, alone on a warm nite and in a sleeping bag for added warmth. :)

Don

I picked up one of the Sea to Summit Reactor liners last winter. It is very lightweight, I usually left it in my bag so I never had to worry where it was when needed. I was more then comfy with it, a few times I had to vent because I was sweating.

It's biggest downside is the cost, at almost $50 it is a bit pricey.

I have two, a silkweight polypro one from REI and a light fleece from someone. The fleece is fine as a summer sleeping bag or as added warmth to another bag. It's probably OK as a 50-60 degree bag by itself, but I sleep warm.

The polypro one is too light for use by itself except on very warm summer night. It does add some nice insulation (5-10 degrees) to a 3-season bag, plus you can easily wash it and it feels nice to sleep in.

-dave-

It being so warm down here, I tried a bunch of em, all diff kinds - down heyah and up there. The verdict? Only one worth a darn - as insulation - is a mid-weight fleece. The REI one is best. ;)

I "wear" my liner...

I just wear relatively clean long underwear in the sleeping bag. Keeps me comforable, the bag clean, and probably adds a few degrees worth of insulation.

Doug

mcorsar said:
I imagine those silk ones feel nice and are great for keeping the inside of your bag clean, but do they add much in the way of insulation?

Matt
Yes, surprisingly so. It creates an additional dead air space within your sleeping bag so the value is more than you would think. On hot nights it can be used alone on top of the sleeping bag. Just think of it as a sheet on a hot night at home. I first started using an old sheet sewn together into a liner bag, and it worked great. I've since moved on to silk for better lighter weight and I wouldn't be without one now.

cbcbd said:
I only have experience with one, the Sea To Summit Lite silk liner:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/23

I have used it in my winter bag. It feels oh so nice and silky.

I have this one too, and it is also the only one I've had experience with. It's a little bit of an issue getting in and out of it in the middle of the night (as I sometimes have to!) but it does add significant warmth.

YMMV, but I would NEVER use any of the liners I tried (silk, reactor, etc.) - except the midweight fleece - as a stand alone summer bag. To me, they were not anywhere near as warm as the fleece.

Gris said:
YMMV, but I would NEVER use any of the liners I tried (silk, reactor, etc.) - except the midweight fleece - as a stand alone summer bag. To me, they were not anywhere near as warm as the fleece.

I agree, for the most part. I have the Reactor and used it as a stand alone this summer in the Whites. It was plenty down low on a warm night, but by itself in a tent at the Imp the next night (chilly, raw, and foggy) it didn't quite cut, even with long johns and a SW longsleeve. The following night at Carter Notch Hut I used it under one of the wool blankets and it was perfect. I have used a heavier fleece bag in similar situations and it definitely is much warmer, yet, probably about the same weight, or even heavier, than a summer down bag.

However I also used the Reactor with my bivy sack on a cool night (50ish) under the stars and the two together worked great.

I was out the other night in the low 40's with the Reactor, my summer 30 bag, and the bivy, and ended up exiting the Reactor for I was too warm in just my boxers and short sleeve.

DougPaul said:
I "wear" my liner...

I just wear relatively clean long underwear in the sleeping bag. Keeps me comforable, the bag clean, and probably adds a few degrees worth of insulation.

Doug

There ya go! That's the best liner...multi purpose ,weight savings etc..
However, I have used in various configurations the Cocoon Slik bag liner, as well as the Cocoon Cool-max Liner.

I also have a lightweight Fleece bag liner from Equinox that doubles as a sleeping bag in warmer weather.

I also us a Vapor-Barrier bag liner in the winter for temps zero and below.

There are many different applications methods for using sleeping bag liners it depends on the intended use.

Generally, one could expect perhaps anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees of added warmth from using bag liners. At least, that is my experience.

I have been abandoning bag liners for the multi-use approach of layered clotheing etc as DougPaul mentioned.