Snow waves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Laurie took this pic near the top of Moosilauke:

tr0.jpg

I love that there is almost no context to this shot, e.g. how big are the waves?

Can anyone straighten out the horizon a little?

Comments welcome.

Tom,
It’s a nice abstract as it is and since I perceived it as looking upslope I didn’t think of the ‘edge of the snow’ as a horizon. I wouldn’t worry about that, IMHO. I like the left side of the image better than the center and right because of the shadow detail. So I did cropped the image into a vertical and took advantage of the more defined snow and shadow detail.

JohnL

5370355964_ef7ae00303_b.jpg

Could use a little experimenting with White balance. Snow and sky are problematic with that.

Tom and Laurie, I like the image very much. There are a lot of nice elements within the image. The sparkling snow crystals are very nice accents throughout the image.

I do agree in general with John's cropping. That portion of the image has the best and the most interesting defined details because of those shadows. Also the upslope on the upper edge of the snow makes for a more dynamic image. The bottom 20-30% of John's crop has become a little flat. So I believe I might want to include just a bit more on the right as there is a nice wave there that comes down to the bottom of the image. Or alternatively one could crop some off the bottom of John's crop. Though I believe it would be good to frame this as a vertical image as John did.

The challenge with this type of image is to find something within the scene that can become a single focal point of the image. While all the elements in the image are interesting and a feast for the eyes, the eye wanders around the image a lot without finding a place to rest. I believe the left, shadowy area might provide the most potential for finding a focal point. Perhaps a uniquely interesting highlight, dollop. pattern, or curve in the snow.

Great Shot

I love these kinds of scenes, with little perspective as to scale, and lots of shapes and curves.

Here is the image with Auto Contrast, faded, then Lens Correction>Vignette to brighten the corners, followed by trimming back the blacks in "White" and "Neutral" in the Selective Color menu. And just a touch of sharpening on the snow:

TomRankinSnowWaves.jpg

( ... and I am sure there are about a thousand other ways you could tweak this image to arrive at roughly the same place!)

now

All you need now is to drag a 21' food tandem kayak up there with all the paddle gear and re-take the picture :D