Softshell pant suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I've long quit using a softshell jacket for winter hikes, preferring my lighter weight more breathable option like whatever tempertures require wool, fleece or puffy insulation and just a featherweight Montane Pertex jacket if windy. WPB Precip carried only. Softshell jacket would take up the entire pack if carried. But I'm still convinced for winter hikes, softshell pants are the best bottom outer layer for me. Carry only- Marmot precips for rain or butt sliding. Looking to replace my older and now discontinued pair of REI softshell pants. Suggestionsfor a new less than $150 pair? (Sierra Trading Post doesn't have anything good.)

I wear REI Adventures pants over appropriate weight wool bottoms and carry Precip pants. The Adventures pants breathe well, are fairly windproof, loose fitting, shed dry snow well, light weight, inexpensive and pack easily. I can easily add a pair of Primaloft pants over them, too.

I wear the EMS Endo. When I was in the market they had two models, and I have two pair of the more expensive one. Like the way they fit and find them comfortable in colder weather. Haven't checked lately on what they have.

Last edited:
one length

Just went to EMS. They're softshells as most avalable in one length ( as in long for me). Too long for me.

Just went to EMS. They're softshells as most avalable in one length ( as in long for me). Too long for me.

mountain hardwear makes great softshells and they have inseam sizing options i.e long short regular I am a big fan of their products

Take a look at Beyond. http://beyondclothing.com/products/.

You give them your measurements and they build the garment. Length, width, sleeve, inseam, fabric options, pockets, zippers, etc.
Friends who own their clothing love swear by them. Only laziness has kept me from placing a softshell pants order the last couple of winters.

mountain hardwear makes great softshells and they have inseam sizing options i.e long short regular I am a big fan of their products

Many dittos for Mtn Hardwear. I have a pair that I wear most every day as soon as the weather dictates which will be any day now. I might use a fleece layer if it's very cold and sometimes gortex outerwear depending on weather. I wash them most evenings and they look like new. They are mens and they have a drawstring closure. Could not find these on the web today but they do has some with the slide buckle. Can't say enough good things about them. Definitely windproof.

Montane & OR

I have a Montane Lightspeed wind jacket that I absolutely love. Weighs practically nothing, blocks the wind extremely well, and packs the size of a medium apple.

As for pants, I'm really fond of my OR Exos pants. They're slightly stretchy, block wind very well without a membrane, and have a slightly fleeced inner nap for just the right amount of warmth. The fit on me is very comfortable. The thigh pockets are a little weird, but they work well.

Mammut Champ. Bought one pair. They were perfect. Bought another just to have them in stock. Haven't touched the second pair yet, but no regrets. A big statement when you consider they were $200.

Another Mammut Champ fan.....I have two pairs myself as well as do a bunch of my ADK winter hiking friends. Schoeller is great and you can pick the weight of long underwear depending on temps. Look for the ones from '09 with the elastic ankle cuffs.....like all good products, they are no longer made.:confused:

I ordered the MH Winter Wander. Came in a short inseam. I love Schoeller fabrics and this one is NOT, but I hope to like it once it arrives.