Southeast Mass folks...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNR

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Warner trail? I mountain-biked some of it in both F. Gilbert Hills and Wrentham State Forest and it is as close akin to NH as I can find locally...there isn't much on the net about it except that spots of the trail have been lost to things like the Wrentham Village outlets and golf courses...I'd like to thru-hike it but don't know if this is even possible.

Anyone use it or know much about it? Thanks.

I know that when I used to hike with the AMC Boston Chapter's Local Walks Committee some people did an annual section hike of the Warner trail. Even then (1994-96) they were complaining of development encroaching on it; I suspect that things are more likely to have worsened than improved :(.

If I remember correctly, it goes from Canton, MA to just over the RI border. It does go right through F Gilbert Hills SP in Foxboro and the Wrentham SF. There are a ton of awesome mountain biking trails in Gilbert Hills. Most of all the trial maintenance done in that park is done my mountian bikers. Check the signs on the Warner trail. You can bike some parts of it, but I think some of the sections in Gilbert Hills are foot traffic only. There is enough awesome riding in that park that not being able to ride on a couple of trails is no big deal at all.

It would be interesting to get more info on the Warner trail and to see what parts you can bike on. Then we could ride the whole thing in one day. It's about 30 miles right? I don't mind biking thru/over the Wrentham Outlets. (ugh!)

Anyone have more info? Anyone into riding the whole thing?

- darren

I had collected some info about the Warner Trail since it goes through some communities that we cover at my newspaper. I was hoping to write a story on it but my editors weren't too jazzed about it, so I never did. They never want stories that are interesting! :rolleyes:

The trail is 33 miles and goes from Dedham Street in Sharon to the Diamond Hill parking lot in Cumberland, R.I.

I have a 15 page print out describing the route in detail. (It printed kind of weird with lines through the words but is readable.) I'm trying to find it on the 'net without luck right now, but I'll keep looking. If you want, I can make a copy and mail it to you... send me a pm if interested.

In the printout, it says that a copy of a guide and maps can be obtained by mailing to the Friends of the Warner Trail, PO Box 85, Mansfield, Mass, 02048. It asks for a small donation (no amount specified) to cover costs... it may be the same print-out that I have (no idea where I got it... it may have been e-mail to me from them.)

- Ivy

I just picked up the AMC mass trails guide and they seem to have some decent information on it. Planning some hikes with the 1 year old - so looking at more local stuff now.

It does indeed start/end at Diamond Hill State park in RI. This place used to be a ski slope!!!

Poison - I would interested in hearing what you know about it. I live very close by in franklin, ma. I could drive to the warner trail in about 10 minutes and have probably been on it without even knowing!

lets get a group together (even a weeknight) and go check it out!

I tried hiking a section of the trail a few years ago, from Green St in Wrentham to the end on Diamond Hill....and I lost the trail at the Wentworth Hills CC. I tried walking around the golf course, looking for a blaze on a tree or a foot path, but nothing......and I think I was pissing off some of the golfers wandering around the fairways looking for the trail.

And I wouldn't recommend Mtn Biking that section of the trail.....the ground was very swampy and the trail pretty overrun.

But there are some nice ledges with decent views in the area, as well.

I have also tramped around F.Gilbert Hills and Wrentham SF and those are great areas for walking / mtn. biking.

In short, it seems to be harder and harder every year with the encroaching urban sprawl to keep the Warner Trail as somewhat a "natural experience". I think you should pick and choose sections of it to enjoy; trying to do all 30 miles of it at once might only frustrate you because of all the stuff in the way and the detours thru / around developments that you need to take.

Hiked a secton today

Hiked from F. Gilbert Hills to just passed 140 in Foxboro...a short section but really great hiking; would be much better mountain biking. So far I've seen only a couple of sections that couldn't be biked, but I'm a conservative mountain biker.

Also, a three-sided shelter just north of the high point in F. Gilbert Hills is in really good shape. It is described in the AMC guide as an emergency "bad weather" shelter, but it was clear that folks had used it recently. No trash and clean.

I've also emailed the general managers at Wrentham Village and the Wrentham CC to see how to negotiate the trail through those spots.

I'm going to keep section hiking the trail and will report anything major in the trip report section.

Sort of off topic, but close enough... any of you up for getting together for some MTB at F Gilbert Hills? There is a lot of great riding there.

- darren

From the AMC Massachusetts Trail Guide:

"Section 5. Hancock St. (Wrentham) to Diamond Hill (RI) (6.7 mi.) Note: The Warner Trail between Hancock St. and Rhodes St. is closed until it can be relocated around the Wentworth Hills Golf Club. Follow the alternate route directions below until the relocation is completed.
Warner Trail Alternate Route: Turn right onto Hancock St., and follow it as it bears left at the fork. Continue about 0.5 mi. to Burnt Swamp Rd., turn left and travel about 1.6 mi. on Burnt Swamp Rd. to Reservoir Rd. and the Warner Trail."

Taken together with Lizzy's report, I'd say this means a road walk here.

When looking into the Warner Trail a few months ago I found this thread. I think I originally heard about this pathway from the seventh edition of AMC's Massachusetts & Rhode Island Trail Guide (which is the only copy of the Mass. guide that I currently own), which came out back in 1995. Back then the guide had the trail starting at the Canton Junction commuter train station (not to be confused with the train depot at Canton Center), and from there the route started off being a road walk, before then turning into the woods off of Walpole Street, cutting through the Knollwood and Sharon Cemeteries, and then arriving at the trail's current northeast terminus, on Dedham Street in Sharon. Even before then, I guess the trail originally started in the Blue Hills, passed through the AMC’s Ponkapoag Camp, then made its way out to Canton Junction. I’m sorry I missed those days, and I wonder what route it took once it departed the Blue Hills.

Last edited:
In any case, since I was interested in hiking the Warner Trail, when doing my homework, I found that there was a dearth of information online regarding this path. I know the Friends of the Warner Trail maintains this website, Warner Trail, where an online trail guide is provided. But, considering that the guide is from 2009, it’s hard to tell to what extent its information has since gotten out of date (especially since the website itself looks like it hasn’t been updated in years). Further, of the few trip reports I could locate online regarding this trail, they were pretty much consistent with the experiences described here: Warner Trail, MA (photo heavy) - Backpacking Light, Warner Trail- Complete!. Based on what I was finding, I wasn’t even sure if the path was still being actively maintained, or to what extent it was still there. Based on these trip reports, it definitely sounded like it would be difficult to follow in places.

With that in mind, back in January I set out to hike the Warner Trail. Since I was traveling solo, each day had to be an out and back walk, so that I could finish at the car at the close of each day. Thus, it took me four days to cover the entire 33 mile trail (which I basically hiked twice, because each day was an out and back). In order to make navigation easier, I started at the Sharon end and made my way to the Cumberland terminus, so that I could follow the instructions straight out of the guide.

Last edited:
What I found was that the trail is still there, and is still being actively maintained. In fact, if the guide hasn’t been updated since 2009, I suspect that the main reason is because not too much has changed since then. From what I saw, it still pretty much follows what is described in the guide. What I would say, though, it that the guide is most helpful for the road walk sections, and where the trail passes through places like the Moose Hill Audubon Sanctuary, F. Gilbert Hills or Wrentham State Forests, or the land around the Diamond Hill Reservoir, it’s best not to worry too much about what the guide says, and instead simply follow the marked route through the woods. While the road sections of the trail are very minimally marked, the trail sections are marked with little two inch circles, which can be white, silver, or metallic. Further, from F. Gilbert Hills onward to Diamond Hill, the way is also marked with white blazes. Granted, the trail isn’t the best marked, since there are sections that feel like trying to follow a lightly used trail through a wilderness area in the White Mountains, since the markings can be really minimal in places. Thus, I understood why the people who wrote those trip reports encountered some places where they lost the trail. But, by going at a walking pace, and by paying attention, I was able to follow the trail the whole way. Granted, there were a few times when I noticed that I hadn’t seen one of those little circles in a few minutes. When I backtracked to the last one, sometimes I found that I had missed a turn, while other times I found that I was still going the right way, but there just happened to be a stretch that could have used a few more circles to mark the way. It also greatly helped that I did this in late January, when the leaves were down and the greenery had died back, so there was nothing obscuring the trail markers or the treadway. This would definitely be harder to follow in verdant summer conditions. This is certainly a good trail to work on while trying to stay in shape during the winter months, especially for people who don’t like hiking in the snowy mountains. Plus, when visiting this trail, it helps to come at it with the right mindset, where you know it’s not going to be as well marked as I-95, but you’re willing to have an adventure and you’re expecting to be challenged in places as you make your way along.