Southern fringe of the White Mtns. - Part 2 - 9/8-9/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
Thursday, Sept. 8.
Route AT from NH 25 (Glencliff) to Jct. with Wachipauka Pond/Webster Slide Mt. Went to both landmarks and returned.

Trail conditions: AT muddy, no difficulties encountered.
Webster Slide Mt - a couple of blowdowns but also no problems.
Wachipauka Pond - no trail sign indicating best route to pond and main campsite from AT jct. with Webster Slide Mt. The trail up the mopuntain was signed and marked adequately.

Friday, Sept. 9
3 Hikes traversed to make a full day.
1) Rattlesnake Mt. - Well marked. Excellent condition. Loop was scenic. Parking at base was limited.
2) Mt. Stinson - also in excellent condition. No problems encountered.

Traveling the Doetown Road along the east side of lake from Stinson to Three Ponds - thru road was closed, but did not know this until we came to barrier. Thus, we had to turn around and go all the way around Lake Stinson.

3) Three Ponds Loop - we hiked in a clockwise direction.
Hiked in on Three Ponds Trail. Sucker Brook Bridge is down and needs replaced. Water shin deep with not significant water flow to prevent fording. Boots off - feet wet, but easily crossed. Significant mud beyond especially in vicinity of the Ponds.

The junction of the Mt. Kineo Trail with the Donkey Hill Cut-off was under water. Very difficult to find route of Mt. Kineo Trail going back here between flooding, swamp growth and detouring. This area needs trail maintenanace. From below Brown Brook Cascades to our car to finish out the hike - no problem other than some minor wet/mud spots.

Saturday, Sept. 10
Waterville Valley highlights.

This hike was a trek to visit some of the highlights off the Greeley Ponds Trail. First to get to the Livermore/Greeley Ponds trailhead, note that a bridge one mile south of the parking lot on West Branch Road is closed. Must approach from Tripoli Road. Second the Greeley Pond Trail is officially closed. This created a change in my plans in that we never went to Greeley Ponds as originally planned.

Route:
Waterville Valley Ski Trails to Livermore trailhead from Snow Mt. ski area.
Livermore Road.
Spur to Big Pines.
Kettle Path to Scaur Peak Trail.
Up to the summit and down to the Mad River.
Greeley Pond Trail north.
Goodrich Rock Path - up and back.
Continue north on Greeley Pond Trail.
Flume Brook Path to the Waterville Flume.
Back down a short 0.2 mile
Up Old Skidder Trail.
Livermore Road towards Waterville Valley.
Snow Mt. access road.
Cascade Path back to cars at Snow Mt. base.

Trail conditions:
Greeley Ponds Trail was roped off at departure from Livermore trail with signs indicating "Trail Closed". Big Pines Path takes you to a grove of immense trees - pleasantly surprised and worth seeing. Kettles Path nice alternate route to Scaur Peak instead of closed Greeley Ponds Trail. Scaur Peak - ho-hum. No difficulties encountered until going back down to where Scaur Peak Path crosses Mad River. This crossing requires fording regardless of Irene. This was not a challenge or difficulty but does require wading. Water shoes are nice as water level was not high (shin deep) but boots were required to be removed or get soaked.
Junction with Greeley Ponds Trail. No signs indicating trail closed. The trail for the half-mile we followed was for a good majority had a 2 foot ditch in the center. This ditch was predominantly dry but very rocky with occaisional puddles. It was obvious a stream used this route shortly after Irene. We mostly walked along shoulder wich was wide enough to follow crossing occasionally from one side of ditch to the other. Yes this is very eroded but easy enough to negotiate. The Goodrich Rock Trail was in excellent condition and a fun place to visit.
Next. Knight's Bridge over Mad River. Intact and in good condition. One tree wedged itself on north side of bridge on the southern end. Needs cut and removed.

Flume Trail. No indication of closure but I guess it is assumed you can't get in here. We went up and the trail i believe follows on a comfortable contour above Flume Brook for a good ways then at around 2100 feet, the trail was plunged into the creek and continues 50 yards upstream at the top of a mud wall. I believe crossing over stream twice is best way to negotiate this natural barrier. Water level was low and not a problem other than being careful of wet rock and slow going as you boulder hop. Further up another minor washout of a shorter distance - maybe 100 feet. This time you could stay on the stream bank. Flume is nice but with boulders and logs randomly strewn at the end of the trail it was hard to get close up to Flume. Old Skidder Road was in excellent condition. Upper end when it leaves the old roadbed -very well flagged. Came to Livermore Road and found barrier indicating trail closed.

Livermore Road like Greeley Ponds Trail had a big ditch in places between North and South Tripyramid Slide Trails. By staying on either shoulder you can walk along the edge without breaking stride. I didn't think the condition of Greeley Ponds Trail where i was was any worse. Inside the ditch was rocky and rooty and not suitable for walking.

Snow Mt. Access Road was closed with barrier which we ignored. Shortly up the road came upon open ditch. I believe now that it was closed for motor vehicles which can under normal conditions traverse carefully. Cacade Path was spectacularly scenic. The waterfalls were gushing in splendor. I think more people should consider this alternate route (VS Livermore) as a great way to access the Tripyramid Slides from Waterville. I wish I had a little extra time to climb up to Elephant Rock from Cascade Path toward the end of the hike. Overall, this circular offered alot of nice attractions that normally don't get much visitation from hikers but was a pleasant hike in this area. Might make a nice rainy day hike (leave out Scaur Peak).

Sunday, Sept. 11

Welch-Dickey. Always a favorite. Excellent conditions. I could have sworn the spur trail near the summit of Dickey was signed and marked in the past. Was there last in 2005. Now just rock cairned. A number of hikers came with small American flags in remembrance of this horrific day ten years ago.

I might link to photos at a later time. Hope this helps hikers in planning hikes in this area.