Specific Questions On Goggles For Winter Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone here use something like this: http://coldavenger.com/technical-performance/?

I was intrigued by the concept of this product. I went back and forth with it until I finally did an online chat with a rep and asked a bunch of questions. They were running a 20% off promo the day I chatted so I went ahead and ordered one of the wrap around kinds.

EXTREMELY IMPRESSED with it. I suited up in my Gore Tex shell, OR balaclava, Oakley A frame goggles and the Cold Avenger. I did a little jogging in place, went outside with it and blew as hard as I could up toward the goggle. No fog. Came back inside and continued to blow out and breath as hard as I could and still no fog. So I jumped on my exercise bike and did some quick intervals always breathing up directly toward the goggles. Nothing. Back outside up and down the driveway. Still nothing. Not a real world challenge on the mountain but I am looking forward to trying it out.

As far as fit it is quite comfortable. The nose piece has a foldable insert of some sort that lets you form it to the bridge of your nose a bit. I also sprung the extra $1.25 for the optional foam insert for the nose which makes it even more comfortable. The cup keeps the mouth area well off your face so you can breathe very hard, talk freely, etc with no interference at all. (I personally can't stand that feeling of fabric pressing across my nose like standard face covers so another plus for me). The mask also has some sort of valve that equalizes the pressure so even at high speeds (literature mentions snowmobiling) you can breathe just fine. I expect this would be a huge plus walking into very heavy winds. I know when I'm facing into a strong breeze it also prevents me from taking a breath and I often have to angle my head away to catch it. Sounds like this feature will eliminate that problem.

Have to give it a true test but it seems like a real winner and it really isn't expensive relative to other face masks. And they make a full integrated balaclava version but I preferred to use it as an add on mask so I only have to break it out when things are bad. Thanks for the link!

I wear glasses and got a pair that fit over them.
Problem is. The glasses are ice cold before you put the goggles on. As soon as I put the goggles on, the glasses fogged up.
Now what am I supposed to do? So I took off the glasses. Couldn't see as well, but I wasn't blinded by the fog. At least till the goggles started icing up. Seems like you have to put up with foggy lenses.

I wear glasses and got a pair that fit over them.
Problem is. The glasses are ice cold before you put the goggles on. As soon as I put the goggles on, the glasses fogged up.
Now what am I supposed to do? So I took off the glasses. Couldn't see as well, but I wasn't blinded by the fog. At least till the goggles started icing up. Seems like you have to put up with foggy lenses.
Warm your glasses in an inside pocket and put them on just before the goggles. Warm surfaces are less likely to fog.

Doug
Who has worn his glasses under his goggles successfully.

Have thought about contacts. It seems like a big expense for the few times I would actually need them.
I will try warming them first and see how that works as they did fog as soon as I put the goggles on.

Have thought about contacts. It seems like a big expense for the few times I would actually need them.
I will try warming them first and see how that works as they did fog as soon as I put the goggles on.
Contacts can be difficult to deal with if you have to take them out (dirty hands, cold, need to keep solutions unfrozen). I know of one hiker who would put them in his mouth (instead of rinse with solution) to clean them. Cold air can be very drying to the eyes, too.

Presumably extended wear contacts are easier to deal with than ones which much be removed daily (particularly for multiday trips).

Disclosure:
I do not wear contacts myself, but this is what I have been told by a contact wearer.

The above said, they do cure the fogging problem.

FWIW, The wind protection that my glasses give to my eyes often enables me to avoid using goggles under conditions in which others may need them.

Doug