Steam in the Snow January 7th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
The Conway Scenic Railway will be taking out their coal-fired steam locomotive (#7470 built in 1921) for "Steam in the Snow" (note: sold out) this Saturday, January 7th. They'll be leaving North Conway at 10:30am headed to Notchland, expected return 4:00pm.

If you're a train enthusiast, this is a great opportunity to get photos. "Numerous “run-bys” have been scheduled on the return trips for photo opportunities with our historic steam engine." Of course, the crossing of Bear Notch Road in Bartlett is an excellent location, but there are many hike-able (mind private property) locations along the way as well. I've read that the engine will be pointing southward (pushing backwards to Notchland) the whole trip for best photo sunlight.

If you like trains and history, and enjoy photography, videography, or just sightseeing, this is a great opportunity to see this train in action. If you're in the lower Notch area, you'll surely hear the whistles, too. It's like a piece of that train set in the basement come to life.

Video from 2009

Thanks for posting this, Michael. I wish they were doing it for two days. I'd love to see and hear it but have scheduled myself in for the Nutt Pond cleanup in Manchester tomorrow. I love trains, especially steam. In fact, a few years ago (or more) Brian and I took a weekend long course at Boothbay RR in Maine and learned how they work and how to operate them. I think it is something offered every year in the fall as they look for volunteer staff.

Brian finds the most interesting things for us to do. When he saw this he called and asked, "Do you have an extra $125?" When I learned why, I jumped at the opportunity. Perhaps the price has gone up, but it was really a lot of fun. Another image, with Brian at the "helm":

I stopped by the Fourth Iron Bridge to witness the "Steam in the Snow" train as it passed by. There were tons of folks not only at Fourth Iron, but at many other spots along the route. Most had tripods and nearly all had very professional-appearing cameras. So, you'll probably be seeing some excellent photos posted here and elsewhere on the Internet. Anyway, here is a snapshot that I got with my "point & shoot" camera.
P1040853.JPG

gorgeous!!!

Beautiful shot-tripods and good cameras help, but it's really the person behind the camera :)

Awesome shot, John!
Beautiful shot-tripods and good cameras help, but it's really the person behind the camera :)

Thanks Sabrina and Marty for the nice comments about my choo-choo photo!

Good equipment + the person behind the camera all help . . . but oftentimes it’s simply hard to go wrong when the scene in front of the camera is so photogenic!;)

Beautiful photo, John!

While we all have our opinions about coal-fired, steam-powered locomotives (*cough* Cog), I set that all aside for the rare occasions when a 91-year-old museum piece like #7470 is brought out. Trains like this were instrumental to creating the commerce of the United States, and are such an indelible piece of history that seeing one lovingly maintained and out in action is, well ... it's a hoot!

ps - I'm told that as an 0-6-0 she's a rare engine. That means no front unpowered axles, 6 middle powered axles, no rear axles. Apparently not a rare engine at the time, just rare to find still running today.

Last edited:
ps - I'm told that as an 0-6-0 she's a rare engine. That means no front unpowered axles, 6 middle powered axles, no rear axles. Apparently not a rare engine at the time, just rare to find still running today.
Engines used in high speed service had the front axles to align the loco with the track, the rear axles indicated a heavier hence more powerful loco. This would have probably been a switcher used on twisty yard tracks, hence not the most romantic.