Surf Ski

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Has anyone on here paddled a surf ski? A surf ski is usually around 20' long, VERY narrow, fiberglass or kevlar and very light, you sit on top of it and use a rudder to steer. They are a racing machine made to go very fast, but they are very unstable.

Here is a picture for an example:

OffshoreSX.jpg

I tried out one this weekend. I spent more time in the water than on top of it. It is unreal how unstable they are. I have been kayaking for 12 years and I could only stay on it for about 50' max. Granted, the wind was blowing about 25 mph and there was a good chop running, but still it was incredibly unstable. People race them between the islands out here (36 - 90 mile crossings) and I have no idea how they stay upright in the waves.

It was a humbling experience to say the least. There were two local guys on the beach that helped me get on it. One of them kept laughing at me everytime I fell over. I asked him if he had ever paddled one before and he said that he had paddled a "kayak like it". I could generally paddle about 50' between each dunking. I finally asked him if he wanted to try. He got 3 strokes in and fell over. The next time he only got 2 strokes in before he fell over. Then his friend was laughing at him. :D

The boat accelerates very fast and they have a normal top speed of around 9 knots (vs. about 5 or 6 knots for a good cockpit kayak). I just don't know how people stay on them. It must take tons of practice - more time than I have!

- darren

No, I haven't tried one yet.......though I don't think I'll ever look so good as the young lady in the photo....
I've taken some rolling lessons from someone who is a big fan of them, but I haven't seen them in use yet, and don't know if she has bought one yet.
Where did you get to try yours?

And the fastest of all is supposed to be the yak that comes out of the water some where around 9-ll mph. I would love to see one demoed.

I tried out a used one that a guy here is selling. I didn't take the above picture, but when I tried the surf ski, I was at the same beach that the photo was taken at - Kailua on Oahu.

- darren

No, you can't get thigh straps. At 20' long, I sure would not want to try to roll that puppy.

- darren

What surfski? :D

Over 10-12 mile races, I see people average 6mph on those things.... but nope, I've only seen some of them at paddling shows.

Jay

Have never seen such boat, but looks like it would be fun on a flat lake... not sure on waves.

spider solo said:
And the fastest of all is supposed to be the yak that comes out of the water some where around 9-ll mph. I would love to see one demoed.
Ah, the foil kayak. Must be a trip!!

http://www.foilkayak.com/