The 52 with a view list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Just thought I would share something. I started a list about 1 1/2 years ago or so, the 52wav list. I was frankly getting tired of the 4ks and the crowds didn't help with my overall love for them. I do not know how, but I stumbled on the 52wav (with a view) list and bought Ken MacGray's book the first edition on the subject. Granted the second edition is out now and I have done most of the delisted peaks, anywho no biggie. The book is incredibly well written and has all the info you need to grab these summits. The list has brought me to peaks I have never done and in fact, places and parts of the state I have never been before. I know many on this site are older like me ( I'm 58) and might be looking for something different to do. Regardless of how many peaks you end up doing, it's just an incredibly fun list. I just did North and South Percy, I had never even heard of those peaks before and frankly, driving through Whitefield and Lancaster had me in towns I hadn't been to in over 35 years. Just thought I would throw it out there, with all the Social media focusing on the 4k's, this list might interest some of you, just keep it quiet.:rolleyes: I just might get my second patch in 40 years after all.:eek:

This is part of the appeal of the 52WAV list for me -- the hikes are spread out over the entire state instead of being concentrated in one core area. As you mention, it's a great way for one to experience places that they may not normally visit. NH has tons of great hiking that isn't in the Whites!

That's been my experience as well. Another good resource, for both 52WAV and other interesting and less-crowded hikes around the state is the NH Mountain Hiking site.

I absolutely hate the 52WAV list. Many of my favorite summits are on that list. It took me years to discover these gems and the quiet and solitude that they provided (relatively speaking). Now they are being "bagged" by hikers who would never have bothered with them before. I'm sure that in the future someone will start a club for 52 X 12 with a neat patch to go with it. The NH 4K club was originally envisioned to spread out hikers to lesser visited summits to ease the crowding on the most popular peaks. Look how that turned out.:(

The list has brought me to peaks I have never done and in fact, places and parts of the state I have never been before. I know many on this site are older like me ( I'm 58) and might be looking for something different to do. Regardless of how many peaks you end up doing, it's just an incredibly fun list. I just did North and South Percy, I had never even heard of those peaks before and frankly, driving through Whitefield and Lancaster had me in towns I hadn't been to in over 35 years. Just thought I would throw it out there, with all the Social media focusing on the 4k's, this list might interest some of you, just keep it quiet.:rolleyes: I just might get my second patch in 40 years after all.:eek:

Exploring different parts of New England/the Northeast is one of the hidden joys of peakbagging, especially with the sub-4k' and more obscure lists. OTH, the noteriety and popularity of a list can kill the joys of solitude and easy parking. As one one person wrote in a summit register, "Don't NEHH the _____!" (They also implied that VFTT was reasponsible for ruining the NEHH.)

Ironically, the AMC 4K list was designed for this purpose - to spread people around and off the most populated peaks. Decades later, we need another list to spread people around and off the more populated peaks.

Decades from now, we'll have the "Random 100 - a List of Uninteresting Places You Can Walk to That Have No Real Qualities"

My 70-year-old Brother-in-law mentioned the 52 WAV list this weekend. He thought last years Washington trip was tough and he did South Moat prior to Washington. He's is last years President of the Pioneer Valley Hiking Club who just had a group trip to Galehead where a member was rescued after injuring her leg. I've been aware of the 52 WAV for quite a while. If a decent size group like the PVHC knows about it, I would expect these to get more crowed as Maine Guy mentioned.

We don't have a 4K list for doing them all in driving rainstorms yet.:D

I don't think it matters much these days. There is so much stuff out there on the internet, not to mention in literature and by just picking up the various DeLorme maps. Pretty much anywhere you go now there are going to be others and the only way to avoid people is to go further north, where you will still see people, but fewer than points south.

We don't have a 4K list for doing them all in driving rainstorms yet.:D

Working on it....:) I also have a pretty solid start on the Hungover 48 but I think I'm getting too old to complete that one.

I absolutely hate the 52WAV list. Many of my favorite summits are on that list. It took me years to discover these gems and the quiet and solitude that they provided (relatively speaking). Now they are being "bagged" by hikers who would never have bothered with them before. I'm sure that in the future someone will start a club for 52 X 12 with a neat patch to go with it. The NH 4K club was originally envisioned to spread out hikers to lesser visited summits to ease the crowding on the most popular peaks. Look how that turned out.:(

Damn dude, is it time for your afternoon Bloody Mary or what?

I discovered the 52WAV list several years ago after completing the NH48 which I think took me 37 years. Of course, most of that time I lived about 1200 miles from NH, so I was at a disadvantage to you locals (to me, all of New England and eastern NY is "local" to NH). It's a great list that opened my eyes to a lot of wonderful hikes on 2K and 3K peaks like the previously mentioned Percys, Mt Success, The Moats, and Welch and Dickey to name a few. I never committed to finishing the list, but I kept going back to it for ideas of what to climb next. I still managed to get 30 of the current 52 plus a couple that are now de-listed. I hope to get back to NH this summer. There are many beautiful places in the US and around the world and the mountains of NH are certainly one of them. I'm sure you all realize and appreciate that.

Several years ago I was on Roger's Ledge and couple of hikers in their late sixties early seventies were commenting on getting close to completing the "geriatric" hiking list. In general the 52 WAV tends to be easier/shorter/lower elevation hikes. Nothing wrong with their designation if it gets people out in the woods and spreads the use a bit.

Several years ago I was on Roger's Ledge and couple of hikers in their late sixties early seventies were commenting on getting close to completing the "geriatric" hiking list. In general the 52 WAV tends to be easier/shorter/lower elevation hikes. Nothing wrong with their designation if it gets people out in the woods and spreads the use a bit.
Originally created and still maintained by “The Over The Hill Hikers Club” the list was originally meant to complement “The NH 48 Four Thousand Footers” to make a nice round 100. Although many of the hikes are shorter and lower elevated hikes I personally would not agree they are all easier. Many of the 52 what they lack in distance, not that they are all short can be quite scrappy. Also the logistics to getting to the trailheads for many of them requires more effort and the trails can be more obscure and less maintained. I think both lists have their challenges. So I would personally be less inclined to call The 52 with a View easier as those challenges are somewhat relative.

Last edited:
Originally created and still maintained by “The Over The Hill Hikers Club” the list was originally meant to complement “The NH 48 Four Thousand Footers” to make a nice round 100. Although many of the hikes are shorter and lower elevated hikes I personally would not agree they are all easier. Many of the 52 what they lack in distance, not that they are all short can be quite scrappy. Also the logistics to getting to the trailheads for many of them requires more effort and the trails can be more obscure and less maintained. I think both lists have their challenges. So I would personally be less inclined to call The 52 with a View easier as those challenges are somewhat relative.

I had no idea the 52 was meant to compliment the 48 to make 100. Your summary of the 52 is quite accurate, there are some that are pretty tough and some that are hard to get too. I waited on Nash Stream road to open for a month. The Baldfaces can give many 4ks a run for their money. Word on the street is Mallagalloway is no picnic to drive too, I haven't got to that one yet.