The changing innovations of what we do for fun

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that hikers are far less likely to complain about too many people on the trail in the winter if there is a nice solid track top to bottom.
In the 70's we relished being the first on trail with fresh snow and whined if someone was in before us. In other words we took what we got . Didn't need no stinkin internet.

Last edited:
I find that hikers are far less likely to complain about too many people on the trail in the winter if there is a nice solid track top to bottom. When I was working on the winter list in the early to mid nineties, about 1 out of three hikes were broken out recently, with the remaining split between older tracks that had been filled with recent snowstorms and just plain unbroken. In a couple of cases it meant not making the summit when we went way past our turn around time due to changing conditions. Normally it results in late supper, in one case on the Weeks it was a very long event that almost turned into an unplanned overnight and possible very unpleasant consequences rather than mild case of hypothermia and a very short night of sleep.

The nice thing when unburdened with the need or ability to follow a trail in winter is that we got to see new territory, I got to see real nice some territory on the east side of the Owl one sunny day in the winter (far sunnier than coming in from the west and got to see the original summit (far more impressive with views ) along with the second summit (long before the current summit was "discovered"). Same with Isolation. This was pre GPS so these events served to hone our map and compass skills. My observation these days in witner is that most winter hikers working on the lists regard having to break trail as a major inconvenience especially when they either do not own or elected not to carry snowshoes.
No way were we going to bivi on our Waumbek-Weeks traverse, Peakbagger. Jazzbo and I were reminiscing about that trip at a geology field conference last June. At the time there were two appropriately named Hollywood films for us playing iin the theaters: “No Place for Old Men” and “There Will Be Blood.” 🙂

i used to eat rum kendall mint cakes by the carton.

i guess sugar isn't that good for you now.

As people have catalogued, backpacks have gotten lighter, pots have gotten lighter, flashlights have gotten lighter, synthetics have replaced cotton and wool, freeze-dried meals have dramatically gotten less salty and far better tasting, and cellphones have replaced cameras for most of us--with better photos! Even my griping about how rain jackets could improve should acknowledge the fact that the old non-breathing ponchos have been replaced by eVent and Gortex with great result.

I haven't owned anything (I believe) with treated down. Don't know if that has been an improvement or not.

Otherwise, gear, compared to say, three decades ago, has truly improved dramatically!

Brian

I own a Big Agnes Fly Creek tent I purchased in 2017 (currently ~$370). Perfectly okay tent, but every morning I wake up with the inside of the fly anywhere from very wet to shockingly soaked, and have to take the fly off and hang it to dry.

I have slept in a Hyperlight Unbound, which handled very nicely, but what a price tag!
Unbound 2P
$699

Just got back from a bikepacking trip from Banff to Whitefish along the Tour Divide route, and a friend had a new two-person Nemo Dragonfly. The material was so thin and breathable! But again, the price tag was notable.
Dragonfly™ Bikepack OSMO™ Backpacking Tent - product
$579.95 (currently sold out)

Dang, there are some nice materials out there for tents, but one certainly has to pay for them!

Brian