The Chronicles of Hernia: The Lying Around, the Stitches and the Loose Wardrobe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Developed a "sports" hernia playing hockey 3 months ago, now two months out from open surgery. If anyone else has this open surgery, I would recommend not pushing your body after surgery, I really tore things up 2 weeks ago trying to ride the exercise bike to rehab, just getting over the pain now and can walk without pain again. I think i had some additional abdominal injuries when I tore things playing hockey though, so I think my body will take a few more months to heal. I would recommend laporascopic surgery, this whole open procedure was pretty barbaric. Best of luck, I would recommend walking the first few days after surgery, but not getting too aggressive with exercise too soon.

Knowing now what I do: I'd refuse open and do my best to find a Doc who could do laproscopic. Open is a bit dated at this point, but I'm sure it's necessary for scertain cases.

It's amazing the technological progress that science makes in areas like surgery! I had a knee operation last week, and now the Dr wants me to walk on it. It works!(with a little tenderness) :)

Knowing now what I do: I'd refuse open and do my best to find a Doc who could do laproscopic. Open is a bit dated at this point, but I'm sure it's necessary for scertain cases.

I agree. I had the same laproscopic procedure Chip described above ten years ago. Only a couple days of local discomfort, good as new a week later.

Any abdominal surgery is a big deal. Laparoscopic is better, but they still cut holes in your abdominal wall.

Apple sauce is your friend. It has water, sugar and fiber. Easy to swallow, palatable even if your appetite is shot, and good for keeping your large intestine operating even if you are using pain medicine.

It is good to know there is a Hernia Support Group here. Add me to your numbers.

I am curious as to the experience of others regarding the length of time between the first symptoms and deterioration to the point of going into surgery. Is it a lineal progression or do things take a sudden turn for the worse based upon strenuous activity?

The length of recovery and sequence of build up of activity is very interesting, and encouraging, though I expect it can vary considerably among individuals for various reasons.

I am looking to project the intersection between the need for surgery and the "optimal time" of year from an activity and recovery standpoint but haven't been able to identify an "optimal time". Maybe I just need to resign myself to a new and, hopefully, temporary couch potato season ...

Wow, feeling the love, or at least sympathy. How about we form a hernia hiking group? We could call it The Bump and Lumpers or the Hernia Hilltoppers? :D

King: Sorry to hear things got messy. And yeah, laporascopic is what I'm doing. I plan on taking it easy for sure!

Jimmy: Thanks! Part 2 dropped today, here's a link: PART 2

Chip: Yup, laproscopic it is!

Mass: Good to know that you're up and around so quickly!

John: Thanks, see King and Chip!

Explorer: Went out today and bought a whole thing of applesauce! Thanks for the recommendation!

Stan: I discovered my hernia in September. At the time, the doc told me to not worry about it in the short term (I was in the middle of a hiking for charity thing and couldn't stop.) Then came the holidays etc. My deterioration began around Christmas. I started noticing some stomach aches and irritable bowel stuff. That's when I decided to schedule the surgery. The fact that this winter has been a real snow bust has helped make my decision. I'm glad I did though because the past couple weeks have been pretty uncomfortable: I pretty much go to bed every day with a heating pad which helps reduce the tenderness and stomach aches. So, it's definitely time!

Anyway, thanks everyone... signing off for now. When I'm able I'll report back. Cheers!

I am curious as to the experience of others regarding the length of time between the first symptoms and deterioration to the point of going into surgery. Is it a lineal progression or do things take a sudden turn for the worse based upon strenuous activity?

I can only speak for myself, as I know there are differences with everyone: I was hiking up Abol Slide and just felt a little "pop". No warning, though there must have been some lineal progession (eg: aging ? training for Rainier ?). Mine wasn't severe and I did a few small hikes after, but didn't want to test it on Rainier and had just enough time to schedule the surgery, recover and start exercising again, so I went for the operation.

PART 3 has dropped

Thanks for your support everyone, the surgery went fine and I'm resting at home. All seems well, though it feels like I've done about a 1,000 sit-ups.
Anyway, here's Part 3 if anyone is interested: The Chronicles of Hernia Part 3

Has anyone come across any exercises, physical therapy or the like BEFORE a hernia becomes problematic in order to help prevent it from deteriorating to the point of requiring surgery? I'm trying to imagine what would do it ... doesn't seem like an area of the body where building up muscles that could keep it under control would be easy, if possible at all. Any ideas from the medical or physical therapy professions ... but if it helped I would listen to the advice from any barbers and bartenders, too.