Thermolite Reactor Extreme Liner -- good/bad?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijesi

Reaction score
I'm planning a weekend of camping/peak bagging the High Peaks region of the 'Dack in a few weeks. Me and my crew have been doing this for more than a decade (some of 'em for decades). I've used a tent every year, but, little by little, the guys have been opting to not carry a tent and just sleep out in the lean-to. This year I'd be the last tenter left, which means I'd be doing all the lugging, setting up, and breaking down, which might be the last straw for me. I'm nervous that my sleeping bag, which has never failed me in the tent, even in subzero overnight temps, might not be a match for the raw elements. I bought a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Liner yesterday to ease my mind. Does anyone have experience with this bit of gear? Does it add appreciable warmth to a sleeping bag? My concern is not so much for survival (I carry days' worth of layers that I can don if need be), but for comfort. The internet reviews I've found are mixed, but not many of them dealt with winter 'Dack conditions. You've been a great gear-advice resource for me in the past. Have I wasted my money? (It's wrapped and under the tree at the moment, so I can still get my money back.)

Although I don't know anything about that liner, I think you may be better off if you brought along a bivy sack. It would protect your sleeping bag from the outside weather.

Campmor has a nylon breathable sleeping bag cover for $40. I've used basically the same with my bag & 2 pads in shelters in the the dacks and been very comfortable. They compare the Thermolite to lighter than a fleece liner, which is nice too, but not at that price, I wouldn't think.

Although I don't know anything about that liner, I think you may be better off if you brought along a bivy sack. It would protect your sleeping bag from the outside weather.

I'll third that option. Can't speak for the Daks, but in the Whites in winter in lean-to's I have been happy with a winter bivy sack (Black Diamond). It's thin and provides no insulation but makes a reasonable vapor barrier for added heat (it's not completely water proof by design). My point - it's nothing fancy. This on top of a thermarest pad has been enough on multiple occasions on cold January and February nights up high in shelters like the Perch, Garfield Ridge Shelter, and Guyot out on the Bonds. I have a very well insulated bag however that goes in that bivy sack.(North Face Dark Star, -40).

To be clear, I'm usually cold by 3-4 AM and getting up to make something hot regardless of what I'm sleeping in.

I have a caribou gortex bivy and find that it generally raises my sleeping systems rating by 10 to 15 degrees. I also find that when used in warmer conditions that it breathed adequately to dry out damp clothes that I slept in (not by choice). Plenty of room inside so I dont compress any insulation.

Thanks, everyone; you're the best. I'm gonna trade the liner in for a bivvy. I'll be getting a little $$ back, so I'll use that to update my trail map. Merry Christmas/happy new year, all!

Thanks, everyone; you're the best. I'm gonna trade the liner in for a bivvy. I'll be getting a little $$ back, so I'll use that to update my trail map. Merry Christmas/happy new year, all!
A bivy sack also has the advantage that it can be carried as emergency gear (with or without a sleeping bag) or used under a tarp tent in conditions where your bag might get wet or in a snow shelter to keep your bag dry.

A water-proof breathable upper is probably best, fully breathable is ok, but don't get a fully waterproof bivy sack due to condensation. A waterproof bottom will keep ground moisture at bay and depending on the design of the sack, an insulating pad can go inside or outside.

Remember too, that you will want to breathe outside the sack to minimize condensation.

Doug

I have the next step down - the Thermolite Reactor Mummy Liner. I like it as a sleeping bag liner to keep my winter bag clean & the material does "feel warmer" than just the bag itself but I do not think it adds any significant warmth to my sleep system.

I am saving up for an Integral Design Bugaboo Bivy which is made with an eVent top panel.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=694

My bivy has been on 90% of the AT. I tended to use shelters due to off season hiking but in buggy weather it was a nice option as it had a bug screen and front hoop. I could use it in place of tent but when closed up from rain it didn't breath very well and it was difficult to get in an out of without getting wet. Even in a shelter it raised the temp rating of the sleeping bag and was a nice way to keep my sleeping bag clean as shelter floors can be quite grubby. For folks who like snow caves, bivys appear to be the choice over tents.

I'll add another vote for the bivy. I haven't used a tent in years regardless of season... just the bivy in good weather, bivy with tarp if I'm expecting rain, leanto if one's convenient.

Before investing in other options, I used to carry two "trash compactor bags" for an emergency waterproof layer. They come folded small and are very durable. Two bags, a few feet of duct tape, and a quick hole or two and this quickly becomes a pretty useful piece of emergency gear. One bag can also be used to line the inside of your pack when raining. This essentially encases everything inside the pack in one water proof bag. May as well use it if you are going to carry it. I would place the second bag around my sleeping bag for the same reason.