Third Time is the Charm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Iroquois via Algonquin 6/16/2012

This report isn't filled with: record speeds, distances and danger, it's just about the challange of an old fat guy struggling for his 27 ADK peak. This was one of my most difficult climbs. The most difficult was my first attempt for Iroquois and my third attempted at an ADK peak as an adult.

I've been feeling in a rut lately. Too much routine/couch/beer/sitting around and not enough exercise and adventure. Dream Farmer (Clay) called up and said he needed to get up in the mountains and that was just what I needed.

I probably would not have gone for this climb if it were not for Clay. He's a good man to camp/climb with and by that I mean he doesn't complain about how slow I am. He seems more interested in my compleating my 46 than me. Thanks for the support Clay. If anyone hasn't climber with him you should.

I booked us a lean-to at the Loj, Clay picked me up and we BSed all through the drive up to the Loj. We planned to get up early, Clay always wakes up first and use the whole day to casually hike over Algonquin to Iroquois and the back. Simple and easy, well for some.

I'm big and slow, the slowest on the mountain. People passed us on the way up and were on their way back before we got to Algonquin. I've never been an athlete and at my best am moderatly in shape but what I have learned is how to pace myself so I can get myself out from where I got myself in. I've learned a few things on the first 26. I hike at a pace well within my aerobic ability. Sure I could huff and puff myself up the mountain but I don't know if I'd have the energy to get back. I always hold something in reserve. These boots aren't walking themselves out. I feed and water my machine regularly. I can feel when my energy drops from lack of fuel. Low cals have a big affect on my aerobics and sense of effort/muscle strength. I drank close to two gallons of water. Given the time to rest and fuel up is key to my making a successfull climb.

My first attempt washed out after hitting Algonquin because it was hot and the third member of our group was dehydrated so we went back. The second attempt was real bad weather on top of Algonquin so I didn't want to push on the Iroquois. Knowing what I do now, at the time I questioned my decision, I did the right thing. It was not a cake walk for me to go over Boundry to Iroquois and back.

Third times the charm. It was drudgery, the black flies made it terrible. The flies made the needed rests and snacks too short. I had a head net but they still feasted on my arms and legs. The cripple bush to and from Iroquoise and back scratched and poked so much that the lightest touch felt like my skin war burning. It was too hot under the head net to put on a long sleve shirt or pants, they would have made me sweat way too much. As it was the sweat was dripping from the brim of my cap. I wasn't going let the flys keep me from getting #27.

Actually it was a nice day. If I had the chance to rest more it would have been more pleasurable. The climb to the waterfall was fairly easy and the bugs had just started. Shortly after that the climb to the Wright turn off got tougher and the flies were distracting me form watching my feet. I hate wearing a head net but I hate black flies more. From the turn off to open rock seemed to take more effort and time than I remember but I keep my breathing under control, snack and drink every hour or so. My tread mill says I burning 700 cals an hour going up hill and who knows how much down hill so a guy my size is burning 5k in cals on a climb. I only take in 200-300 cals at a break so I need everyone of them. It makes a huge energy boost when I snack.

Reaching the top of Algonquin was a modest effort but the bugs keept the rest too short. The hike out and back to Iroquois and back was tough. I was getting tired, it was hot, the bugs a pain in the a-- and the cripple brush raked my arms and legs. I taller wider and AHEM rounder than most so I fill it those tight spaces of the trail better than most. The two short ascends getting back to Algonquin took at lot out of me. The bugs kept the rest and fuel up too short.

Now the big stuff is done and the death march out begins. I'm motivated to get up a mountain but hate going down. Even the thought of ice cold beer at camp isn't enough to make this feel better. This is when the real mental battle begins for me. It takes a long time to get back, the fatigue make it more dangerious so I just can't push myself for fear of falling. I did fall off a small ledge on Boundry. Lost my concentration for a second, stubbed my foot and over the edge I went. Horrible horrible feeling the free fall is....all those rocks....images of injuries passed through my mind...I twisted to fall on my back so my pack could cushion me...I landed in cripple bush....THANK GOD!!!! Scratched but cushioned. Very Very Lucky!

I'm tired, now sore and achie. Doesn't do any good to bitch about or or whinning. Just a few well placed M.....F..... & G.. D..s. Took for ever to reach the turn off, stopped for snack and water, and them the waterfall, pumped up, snacked and trudged on. What a pain is the a.. The turn off for Whales Tail was demoralizing. I thought, hoped, we were close to the last trail sign .9 miles from the Loj. I trudged on. Clay sings and gabs to keep my spirts up. The hell with my spirits, it's my determination to finish that blots out the bad spirit. I jut can't dwell on how bad I feel. There is no energy for that and there is still that last uphill section before the Loj I dread.

Clay reached the trail intersection pole sign and kisses it. I can't sit down to rest even thought the bugs are long gone. I wouldn't want to get up. I didn't want to deal with it. After finishing my water I walked off trail, dumped my food (kept my wrappers) took a pee and was a light weight as I could be for the last .9 miles. The trail is flal, smooth and easy. One foot after another. At last the foot bridge and the small ascent. It wasn't so bad. I saved just enough to get up.

My god that was my second toughest climb ever. Son of a B....! Maybe for some it's easy but not for me, it stunk! The ice cold beer was great. The grilled steak was fantastic! Roasted corn and baked potatoe. Yumbo.

I'm not doing Iroquois again!

Well maybe from Sheperds Tooth. :D

Last edited:
It's all about just being there,and getting back out safely.

You know what you are doing ,are good intelligent company and most importantly, I haven't had to carry you out yet so it's all good :)

I think the bugs kept us from resting enough. It would have been more of normal hike otherwise (but still hard).

Now, you know you can still do it so build on this and lets get to #30 before the snow flies.

Yup- would like to see you finish but the journey is "the thing".

Congratulations twice!

Once for the hike and once for the report. Well done on both!

It's always nice to have some outside help to keep the motivation where it needs to be to get the job done, especially when it's a tough job.

Keep moving!

;)