This car has climbed Mt Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On a hopefully brighter note

https://www.boston.com/news/the-bos...car-climbed-mount-washington-bumper-stickers/
Over the years I have seen the variations for "this runner" or "this bicyclist". Tim Sample a Maine humorist and former CBS news guest had a routine about the Cadillac Pickup Truck with the "This car hasn't been anywhere near the top of Mt Washington" sticker on the bumper. I know the local Septic pumping service that drove up the road after hours to pump out the tanks at the summit took great pride in having one of the auto road stickers on their trucks bumper and I think the local crane guys 60 ton crane had one the year it almost got stranded over the winter up there. I must admit I have driven up once since I moved up north as friend wanted to watch the auto race. I resisted the temptation to stick one on the bumper of my Syclone.

A couple decades ago, I drove in an AMC van up to our trailwork location on Alpine Garden Trail and I noticed the van's dashboard was covered with the stickers 😆

I drove the family up years ago in my Honda Element which was a manual. A steep section of the road was under construction and we had to wait in traffic for the downhill cars to pass. Once it was our turn I kept stalling out, inching closer to the jeep behind us each time. Friggin' stressful.

I wasn't about to put the bumper sticker on my car but I would've earned it that day.

The autoroad gave me the opportunity to stand above treeline with my dog for one last time this past fall. I always had a condescending attitude towards the road until then. I don't begrudge anyone now.

Kind of like the "South of the Border" stickers you used to see everywhere on cars that stopped at that tourist trap on the way to Florida. I think they used to slap them on every car in the parking lot without asking the owner, though.

When we hiked Mt Washington around 15 years ago my daughter bought a "This body climbed Mt Washington" T-shirt at the summit gift shop, does that count?

Hikers often turn their nose up at the autoroad but it actually has a pretty rich history. The little museum behind the main building across 16 is actually quite interesting to tour and the curator folks are very nice and knowledgeable. I think I read somewhere recently that the remaining dirt stretch before the hairpin curve is going to be paved. I always wondered why there was that little unpaved stretch. Will change the drift mechanics for the Climb to the Clouds race.

Hikers often turn their nose up at the autoroad but it actually has a pretty rich history. The little museum behind the main building across 16 is actually quite interesting to tour and the curator folks are very nice and knowledgeable. I think I read somewhere recently that the remaining dirt stretch before the hairpin curve is going to be paved. I always wondered why there was that little unpaved stretch. Will change the drift mechanics for the Climb to the Clouds race.
The entirety of the road up to the lots was paved when I did it in September.

Cars are out of fashion, undestandably in my opinion but I did appreciate the Auto Road when my son was 2 years old and we were craving being above the tree line. We drove with him to the top and then hiked with him in a backpack to Lakes of the Clouds on a beautiful day.

Kind of like the "South of the Border" stickers you used to see everywhere on cars that stopped at that tourist trap on the way to Florida. I think they used to slap them on every car in the parking lot without asking the owner, though.

When we hiked Mt Washington around 15 years ago my daughter bought a "This body climbed Mt Washington" T-shirt at the summit gift shop, does that count?
Nope. This old body is nearly 70 years old and only recently climbed to the peak. Damn strraight I'm wearing that tee shirt.

The Auto Road is one of THE classic motorcycle rides in New England.

And the descent is even more thrilling and beautiful than the ascent. Feels like flying!

No bumper sticker for bikes however.

I haven't made the drive to Florida in 23 years but it always warmed the cockles seeing Pedro and his many billboards driving along I-95 South. Come to think of it, I think we stayed there when we drove down to see Phish's New Years show in the Florida everglades. Everything's a little fuzzy from that trip though...

I haven't made the drive to Florida in 23 years but it always warmed the cockles seeing Pedro and his many billboards driving along I-95 South. Come to think of it, I think we stayed there when we drove down to see Phish's New Years show in the Florida everglades. Everything's a little fuzzy from that trip though...
Fuzzy?

Attachments

• Trey.jpg
    Trey.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0