ticks: they're out!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.e.charles

Reaction score
i kick one off my boot monday.

what are we using as a deterrent?

deet or the other two?

(picaridin/ permethrin)

spray, lotion, wipes?

do any of the products have negative effects on skin or equipment?

will any break down nylon gaiters or shoe uppers?

thanks.

Pemetherin is applied to clothing. it wears off due to abrasion or washing. It breaks down quickly on skin so do not waste it trying to apply it to skin. Ticks nornally transfer from the underbrush by latching onto whatever is nearest to them and to them the permethrin is a contact insecticide so they do not latch on. You also can soak clothes with it, which is what the military does or there is service you can send clothing to to have applied. These treatments last longer. Many people buy concentrated permethrin, dilute it down and use a spray bottle to apply it to clothing. Permethrin Soak Method Guide. If you apply it to gaiters and pant legs, they rarely make it to the legs. They will hide in crevices of boots and creases in socks (if not treated). It does not affect plastic.

Deet can be skin applied, it is an industrial plastics solvent. People think that applying 100% Deet is better at lower concentrations, that is wrong, its best applied in the 30% range. Think of it as perfume or cologne, a little dab will do it. The product I use is 3M Ultrathon, it has a few added ingredients that make the DEET last longer by keeping it from absorbing in the skin. DEET is less effective with ticks than permethrin, but it can be applied to skin. At 100% concentration, it will try to dissolve most plastics with no benefit. BTW, DEET has been researched many times by various agencies and its safe when used properly for adults. It is not rated for children due to lack of research.

I will not use picaridin due to its severe side effect if inadvertently. introduced into the eyes. Just too easy to transfer it to the forehead and have bit of sweat bring it into the eyes. It effects last 12 to 24 hours in my case.

I was bitten by one of the little darlings back in February. Fortunately it wasn't attached for very long when I found it.

I suspect they are going to be bad this year due to the weird winter we had.

In addition to 30% DEET, get into the habit of being really diligent about checking yourself. We have dogs so no matter how well I protect myself, the dogs -- even with their own protection -- will still bring in many ticks that we have to take off of them. I am in the habit of checking myself when returning from a hike and then again in the evening before bedtime. I would not rely exclusively on repellant.

I have had a different experience than Peakbagger with DEET vs. picaridin and would recommend the latter. I've been using the picaridin/permethrin combo for about a decade now. I've never had a tick attach and the flying insects are rarely a bother. Everything I wear is treated with permethrin. Spraying the underside of a hat brim has been effective at keeping bugs away from the face. I'm not sure you would want to apply any type repellent in a place where it can get in your eyes, especially DEET given its appetite for sunglasses. I figure every study has shown picaridin to be as effective as DEET, no sense in risking gear damage.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bug-repellent/

Sawyer makes a good picaridin lotion and also a clothes treatment you spray on.