Time-of-day discrepancy between still photos and videos in Canon G12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I took some pictures and shot some videos on Saturday with my Canon G12 camera. Looking at them later on Picasa, I noticed that the time of day at which I supposedly shot the videos is five hours later than when I actually shot them. Why would that be?

The last video and final two still photos were taken one after the other, so the times were easy to check. The time of day for the video is 11 p.m.; the two still photos show 6:02 and 6:03 p.m.

Checking the date and time, both are set correctly, whether I have the dial on top of the camera set on Program mode or Video mode (I wondered if maybe I needed to set the date and time separately, but apparently not), yet when the images go into the computer, the time of day for the videos is five hours later than it should be.

I doubt that it’s Picasa messing this up, it’s gotta be the camera, but I don’t see how. And I can’t figure out if it’s possible to change it in Picasa, now that I see it’s wrong.

Five hours makes me think of GMT (or UTC to be more modern :)) on video vs local time on photos. No idea what, if anything, is the significance of that factoid.

Date/time can be easily changed in photos with EXIF Date Changer; I am sure a corresponding utility exists for video.

Last edited:
I doubt that it’s Picasa messing this up, it’s gotta be the camera, but I don’t see how. And I can’t figure out if it’s possible to change it in Picasa, now that I see it’s wrong.
Check the times in the files on your local computer. (There is an origination date in the file EXIF data.)

A good tool for examining and modifiying the EXIF data in photo and video files is ExifTool. Freely available and runs on Unices, Windows and Mac. http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Doug

I had the same thought as Mohamed, that maybe GMT is being used for some reason.

Also, I shot a short video later and reviewed it on the camera, clicking the display button until I saw the time of day — and it was correct! So I guess it is Picasa that is marking it wrongly. I’ll see if I can figure it out when I get home.

Thanks.