Time to update the rain gear shell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavypack

Reaction score
I am sure that there is a thread for this topic but I have been unable to find it.

It is time to buy a new hiking rain jacket/shell. I have had to "retire" my EMS Thunderhead SYNC shell to my 13 year old son who now fits in all of my size 44 jackets!

What are people wearing or what do people hate. The EMS shell was dry and lightweight but felt like I was wearing a garbage bag.

I am looking for somethiing that is dry, lightweight, vented and I would not mind wearing on a 12-15 mile all day rain slog in the Adirondacks. The BPKer Gear Guide had some "bests" but most of the reviewers seemed to feel that they did not come close to testing a real sampling of what was out there.

Cost? I would expect to pay $150 - $400 (but rather not!)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Matthew

I have a Rab Latok Alpine Jacket. I think it's a good combination of light weight, breathability, cost and durability.

EMS has them on sale.

I am sure that there is a thread for this topic but I have been unable to find it.

It is time to buy a new hiking rain jacket/shell. I have had to "retire" my EMS Thunderhead SYNC shell to my 13 year old son who now fits in all of my size 44 jackets!

What are people wearing or what do people hate. The EMS shell was dry and lightweight but felt like I was wearing a garbage bag.

I am looking for somethiing that is dry, lightweight, vented and I would not mind wearing on a 12-15 mile all day rain slog in the Adirondacks. The BPKer Gear Guide had some "bests" but most of the reviewers seemed to feel that they did not come close to testing a real sampling of what was out there.

Cost? I would expect to pay $150 - $400 (but rather not!)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Matthew

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32945-Rain-Gear-What-really-works&highlight=rain+gear

This one is a few years old but much still looks relevant, some discussion of Precip among others.

I recently bought Frogg Toggs (rain jacket only) for $30 for a stop-gap measure until I find a better option. I finally had to retire an old Sierra Designs.

The FT has been fine in light rain and hail so far, not very packable though and I don't expect a whole lot from it. I like the tyvek material though and it seems more durable than I expected. It was worth the cost, maybe more - time will tell. Others have more experience with these.

"It depends on what your definition of 'rain' is." ;) So much depends on exertion level, ambient temperature and wind speed. As a SAR colleague in WA once commented on the prospects of staying dry in an all-day rain: "You have two choices. You can get wet from the outside wearing a breathable jacket, or you can get wet from the inside wearing a waterproof jacket."

I've found the optimal choice to be well-constructed Gore-Tex garments with wicking baselayers and some extra insulating layers in the pack. The stable here includes four Gore-Tex hooded shells (of varying ages), one eVent hooded shell, and a softshell. The eVent breathes slightly better than the Gore-Tex, but most eVent stuff I come across is not of sufficient durability in construction. Polartec has a new construction, Neoshell, that aims to knock Gore-Tex off its perch. I haven't tested it.

I'd stay away from PreCip and the like (despite my general addiction to Marmot products otherwise.) My wife has a PreCip jacket and pants that aren't up to anything more than short duration hikes in light to moderate rainfall.

Depending on the type of hike, umbrellas can do a great job. I like one with a long handle and a fun pattern, like ducks or boats. The right handle will tuck into you waist strap so you don't always have to hold it.

With jackets i am ok with my LL one with pockets and pit zips. I usually wear a rain hat with it as i don't like hoods. Wish pit zips were in front of pits. Like sleeves that are a little long.

I will keep tuned to see what others say.

"It depends on what your definition of 'rain' is." ;) : "You have two choices. You can get wet from the outside wearing a breathable jacket, or you can get wet from the inside wearing a waterproof jacket."

That about wraps it up for me. Very well said.

MY precip is great for grocery shopping.

Perhaps the Neoshell will be the new dream fabric we cannot live without but I will wait for the results to start coming in before I give it too much thoughts. Just returned one rain jacket to LL Bean after I was soaked to the bone and the mesh pocket ripped when I place my keys in there on a dog walk.

Last edited:
My Marmot Precip has kept me dry for years, although I must admit that I haven't been in any torrential downpours above treeline in it (like
the experience I hadsome years ago breaking the tree line and sprinting to the Madison Hut from King Ravine in such miserable circumstances).

And the Precip was not even mentioned in the Outdoor Gear Lab review above, so what do I know?

Then again, perhaps Marmot didn't cave to the $$ squeeze by the Lab for good press?

I had called Marmot re: the Precip. At least they were honest and did not try to deny that one might feel a wee bit wet in the reain wearing this jacket. They did highly recommend the gortex and said something to the effect that one can in no way compare the two.
and that this accounts for the price difference.
I kept my jacket and wear it locally if I get caught in the rain at the dog park,etc. I don't take it on on hike where it would be imperative that I stay warm and dry in order to survive.

A huge step up from the Precip in terms of waterproofness and breathability is the Marmot Aegis (men's) and Marmot Strato (women's). This jacket has been outstanding for me for four season hiking! Just bought another one for me and one for the wife. she loves the look, feel and sizing, but has not given it a full test yet.

It is on sale right now at lots of online places, including Amazon and EMS. Just Google up the best deal.

Here are the EMS links:

Aegis - men's: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4346012

Strato - women's: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4346004

Highly recommended.

Marty

This is a good review - thanks for posting it. A caveat - a full-on, 3 ply Goretex (or equivalent), expedition grade hardshell jacket costing upwards of $600, is not in the same league as a rain/windshell. Among other differences, they're much heavier.

As for Precips - I'm a big fan also, but have learned they don't work in steady rain. Because they're very light, I tend to carry it when I need a windshell, but not for rain.

Last edited:
A huge step up from the Precip in terms of waterproofness and breathability is the Marmot Aegis (men's) and Marmot Strato (women's). This jacket has been outstanding for me for four season hiking!
Aegis - men's: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4346012
You say 4 seasons. But my trouble is that my current jacket makes me so hot in the summer, I am a sweatbox on the inside. Even a poncho causes me to sweat when it's raining. Sometimes I think it's best to just bring the umbrella, aside from above tree line! :eek:

You say 4 seasons. But my trouble is that my current jacket makes me so hot in the summer, I am a sweatbox on the inside. Even a poncho causes me to sweat when it's raining. Sometimes I think it's best to just bring the umbrella, aside from above tree line! :eek:

Understood Tom. I admittedly don't sweat as much as some do. Still, compared to other rain jackets that I have owned (Gore Tex, Marmot Precip, Red Ledge, Frog Toggs), this one breathes a bit better.

Regards,
marty