Tips for the new Dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also let the dog use his scent. Scent is as important (if not more) as exercise. Let the dog stop and smell the roses! If he wants to smell every blade grass, let him. Remember it is his walk. If he needs to burn off energy, he will definetly let you know.

Awwww he looks like a real gentleman - great coat!

Where did you get him?

Buddy hails from VA. I met a lady and we where talking dog's and I let her know about losing my dog Sierra. She mentioned that she knew of a family in VA that had lost thier home and had to place two dog's. I offered to take Buddy. She had family down there and planned a visit to them, on the way she grabbed Buddy for me and the rest is history.

Buddy hails from VA. I met a lady and we where talking dog's and I let her know about losing my dog Sierra. She mentioned that she knew of a family in VA that had lost thier home and had to place two dog's. I offered to take Buddy. She had family down there and planned a visit to them, on the way she grabbed Buddy for me and the rest is history.

What a great story. I'm sure Buddy misses his first family and wonders where they are..thank goodness he found a special home with you.

What a great story. I'm sure Buddy misses his first family and wonders where they are..thank goodness he found a special home with you.

I have kept in contact with them and send them text pics of Buddy out hiking and stuff. I have heard this breed refered to as "velcro" dogs and now I see why. They let him out alot down south on thier farm, but I think he was lacking in one on one attention. He sticks to me like glue, if Im eating and get up to get a drink he follows me, unnerving at first, but I think he was just lacking in attention, thats cool we are making up for it now.

One thing I would caution against is strenuous constant exercise. Some hikes like you are doing now are great, but don't push it in the first year. Their growth plates are still growing and you don't want to risk long term damage just to get a few extra miles in the first year. If you are doing some hard long hikes, I think it is better to leave the dog at home. There will be lots of years of enjoyment to be had to not take it slow in the first year.

Some people may disagree or have pushed their puppies on long hikes without any long term effects, but the risk is there.

Other than that, get out there and enjoy your dog. The recommendation about ensuring they let you work with their paws is a very good one. also keeping their nails clipped (goes along with them letting you handle their paws) is key, especially when hiking/walking on hard surfaces.

One thing I would caution against is strenuous constant exercise. Some hikes like you are doing now are great, but don't push it in the first year. Their growth plates are still growing and you don't want to risk long term damage just to get a few extra miles in the first year. If you are doing some hard long hikes, I think it is better to leave the dog at home. There will be lots of years of enjoyment to be had to not take it slow in the first year.

Some people may disagree or have pushed their puppies on long hikes without any long term effects, but the risk is there.

Other than that, get out there and enjoy your dog. The recommendation about ensuring they let you work with their paws is a very good one. also keeping their nails clipped (goes along with them letting you handle their paws) is key, especially when hiking/walking on hard surfaces.

That's basically what my Vet told me with regard to Lauky: No peak bagging at all until he was six months old. No ledges, difficult or long hikes until he was at least a year. And, he's a little guy (20lbs) larger dogs take longer to develop.

It's amazing what a volatile issue the leash is. ...
I've met people on the trail who have insisted that I take him off the leash intimating that it was cruelty to an animal to have him leashed.
I've met folks on the trail whose dog was not on a leash who told me their dog wouldn't do anything and the dog immediately proceeded to jump Lauky. (I was told it was my fault because if Lauky were off the leash it never would have happened.) I might add that I've never encountered a dog on a leash who jumped Lauky.
I am meeting an increasing number of people who thank me for having him on a leash which tells me that there are an increasing number of unpleasant incidents with hikers and unleashed dogs.

Great post (and great thread -- so much good info here!).

While on the trail (and off, for that matter), dogs should either be leashed or within your sight and under strict voice command. This is basic common courtesy for other hikers. Your dog might be the friendliest dog around, but other hikers don't know that -- and/or they just plain might not like dogs. It's extremely important to respect other hikers; all people have a right to enjoy the trails without having to deal with some stranger's animal in their space.

I too have been thanked for keeping my dog on a leash. When I pursue conversation with such folks, I hear stories about recent encounters with unleashed dogs where the owners were far behind on the trail or were there, but clueless (dog was allowed to approach, jump up, beg, etc.). Fortunately, the majority of dog owners we come across seem very respectful of other hikers. Unfortunately, however, it only takes one or two irresponsible owners to give everyone else a bad name.

I have not found any evidence whatsoever to suggest that it's cruel for a dog to be on a leash, so don't let such statements deter you from doing what you feel is necessary for you and your dog. For us, a leash is an absolute must. Max (border terrier) would jump on other hikers if I let him off-leash (his breed is notoriously jumpy, no matter how well you train). Therefore, I use a retractable for Max and he has no problems running all over the place (under my control) yet he can't chase wildlife or approach strangers. He and I have learned how to manage the leash so he doesn't get caught up in branches, etc. When someone comes along, I "reel him in" and he stays right next to me until the trail is free of other hikers. This system has worked well for the past year and a half, during which time Max has happily ascended 30 4Ks and dozens and dozens of other NH mountains.

It's great if one hikes with an unleashed and extremely obedient dog. It's also great if one hikes with a leashed dog. It doesn't matter which way you do it, as long as the dog -- and other hikers -- are happy.

Regarding the growth plate issue -- check with your (hiking and 4K-knowledgable) vet, since each breed is different. Some breeds were bred for long-distance walking/running and can therefore take on long distances fairly early (Max was given the OK at four months), while other breeds need to wait a while (a year +) before they ascend peaks.

Have a great time with your new addition!