Tops of boots above ankles wearing out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
My semi-soft ankle braces wear out the soft padding around the tops of my hiking boots. After a few months the covering is worn and torn.
Any suggestions for something I can put on the tops of the boot ankles to avoid the destruction? Something that won't ruin the ankle braces?
Thanks

Maybe some Gear Aid repair tape? I have a couple of pairs of Keens that are in decent shape, aside from the inner cloth and padding wearing away by the heel inside. I haven't tried it but it recently occurred to me to try applying some repair tape. The roll I have is cloth-like tape.

If you're wearing ankle braces, why do you need soft fabric inside the tops of your boots? Rather than cover the fabric, cut it free entirely.

You could try gorilla tape, I tried it on one of my jackets and it's still there 2 years later, I use it around the house as well, nice product.

After a few months, the padded fabric shreds, exposing the white padding. Lots of good ideas here, just ordered the heavy duty version of the Gorilla tape. Was hoping there was some liquid I could apply to the tops. Don't want to cut collars and just leave a gaping gapped-edge if possible.

After a few months, the padded fabric shreds, exposing the white padding. Lots of good ideas here, just ordered the heavy duty version of the Gorilla tape. Was hoping there was some liquid I could apply to the tops. Don't want to cut collars and just leave a gaping gapped-edge if possible.
McNett Gear Aid Seam Grip. Wonderful stuff for applications like this. It protects, battens down and preserves a worn foam rubber or fabric surface. The fix will be rough once dry, but Gorilla tape on top of that renders it smooth. Store the Seam Grip in the freezer. Alex

McNett Gear Aid Seam Grip. Wonderful stuff for applications like this. It protects, battens down and preserves a worn foam rubber or fabric surface. The fix will be rough once dry, but Gorilla tape on top of that renders it smooth. Store the Seam Grip in the freezer. Alex
The Aquaseal FD might be a better option for this application.

I had worn out the fabric in the heal area in several pairs of shoe and tried using fabric glue to attach a new layer of fabric over the area, but this also wore out rather quickly. Then I remembered that I had a large section of tanned dear hide, so I cut out a matching area and used Gorilla fabric glue to attach it and this has been holding up very well in my Merrell Moab's.

Got the Aquaseal FD and the heavy duty Gorilla tape. Do I apply the Aquaseal. Then Gorilla Tape after it dries?
Or Gorilla Tape with Aquaseal on top of it?

Personally, I would avoid the gorilla tape. It's useful stuff to have around, mind you, so not a waste. But tapes of that sort tend to delaminate with friction and you'll be left with a gooey mess.

If they're good boots that fit you well, you have one of the best cobbler shops in the northeast just down the street from you at Limmer's. I suspect they could stitch in a leather patch for short money and that the leather patch would stand up well to the abrasion of the ankle brace.

If you'd rather DIY, I would get some crafting leather from Amazon or some Codura fabric and fashion a patch and use some form on contact cement to apply the patch.

If you use seam grip instead of contact cement, I would lay down the seam grip first and then cover it with either a leather or Cordura patch.

Helicopter Tape.

3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8542HS is made from an abrasion resistant polyurethane elastomer that resists puncture, tearing, abrasion, ultraviolet light and erosion. The high shear strength tape provides a simple, easy and fast method of protecting a surface from corrosion, abrasion and minor impact damage.

Resists Corrosion, Abrasion and Minor Impact Damage
3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8542HS is a matte black, 0.022 inch thermoplastic polyurethane elastomer tape coated with an acrylic adhesive. This long-lasting tape features a tough polyurethane backing that is corrosion, abrasion and minor impact damage resistant. It offers high UV stability and has excellent environmental resistance properties. This tape has been used to isolate and protect substrates from environmental damage and corrosive elements. It can be used in demanding outdoor installations that require minimal UV degradation after years of use. 3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8542HS protects helicopter rotor blades from rain and sand erosion. It is constructed with a solvent resistant, pressure sensitive, acrylic adhesive, protected with an easy-release poly liner.

Is wearing the braces under your socks an option? Or maybe liner socks, braces, then a lighter weight than normal sock on top.

Personally, I would avoid the gorilla tape. It's useful stuff to have around, mind you, so not a waste. But tapes of that sort tend to delaminate with friction and you'll be left with a gooey mess.

If they're good boots that fit you well, you have one of the best cobbler shops in the northeast just down the street from you at Limmer's. I suspect they could stitch in a leather patch for short money and that the leather patch would stand up well to the abrasion of the ankle brace.

If you'd rather DIY, I would get some crafting leather from Amazon or some Codura fabric and fashion a patch and use some form on contact cement to apply the patch.

If you use seam grip instead of contact cement, I would lay down the seam grip first and then cover it with either a leather or Cordura patch.
What type of contact cement would you recommend under cordura and thin leather patch?